Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #81
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Cause a strategy game engine's kinda easier to make than an RPG engine? Anyways, both're easily combined. Just got to add more objects and let the engine use them properly too.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 05-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #82
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

There are few RPG makers..and with the tutorials we can easily make a medium game. Plus using some level desainers make this ame 3D. I tried #dgamestudio yesterday and it wasnt that hard to do.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #83
Data
retired

I could provide some assistance.
-I have some experience in C++ coding and sdl coding. Both with Visual C 6 and NET and with mingw (g++)
-experience in crossplatform coding.

- little time but give some help/pointers on sdl/cross-platform coding.
- Could help setting up the source and other things.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #84
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Although we're making it in C++, I've been working on it in Java, just for practice (as I do need practice in Java for school). Results up till now can be found here. Comments're in Dutch, along with some variable names, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out What's done up till now:
  • Drawing a basic playfield
  • Moving a selector over the playfield
  • A class for the units
  • A class for the buildings
The playfield is made up from a double array object. The double array's indexes are the x- and y-coordinates. The object itself contains information 'bout what is on it.

The selecting uses two classes: one for input, one for checking and changing the unselected pic to the selected one. This changing's done with a few switch-commands. For now, it might look useless that it has only one case in some switches, but the more unit- or building-types will be added, the more cases will come, so I wanted to have it right from the first time.

The units-class has five variables: one for HP, one for defence, one for attack, one for movement points and one for the time it takes until this type of unit is recruited. This last one needs to be passed on to the building that's recruiting.

The building-class has four variables: HP, defence, recruiting time and recruited type. Recruiting time is 0 in standard, meaning that nothing's being recruited. The recruited type is to know which type of the object Unit to make once the recruiting time comes to 0.

To do
  • Creating types of the unit- and building objects.
  • Getting the selector to select and allow choices
  • Moving units
  • Attacking/Defending + destroying
  • Turn-switching
  • End game checking
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 05-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #85
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

Heh did i code that simple unit class for nuthin then? :eeeeeh: heh.

Data, do you know if SDL utilizes the GPU on the graphics card? When i ran some sample apps from it, they all appeared to run on the CPU.

As far as RPG vs Strategy ; there just ain't enough turn baised strategy games about, everyone wants "AH! I have more army men than you, RUSH!" and less "If i move here, you might move there..."

Tiki, you seem to have the most experience on this project, what class do you suggest we make next in C++? Also, i know nothing about java, how do i view your class files?

twisted-mystic is offline                         Send a private message to twisted-mystic
Old 05-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #86
Data
retired

i think it doesn't do much on gpu (well maybe some basic blits) unless you go for the opengl then offcourse you are doing it on the gpu.

But you must make a pretty big game would you need the gpu to draw for you (or program real inefficent)

as most people here aren't master programmers I doubt that we would need much hardware accelerated graphics.

it should be an easy and nice game as far as I know.
maybe some 50.000 lines ? maybe 100.000 dunno. not that much.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #87
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

well, my concern is that your redrawing the screen say, 15,000,000 times per second, and when that load goes all to the proc, you max it out. rendering to the gpu makes the game run much smoother and more efficientally because the CPU Can handle in game calc's and the GPU can handle the drawing.

How hard would it be to do it with OpenGL? i know dx has a steep leraning curve but not to bad.

sorry for the spelling ahead of time, i think my fingers are about to freeze off :blink:
twisted-mystic is offline                         Send a private message to twisted-mystic
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #88
Data
retired

why draw a screen that many times.
monitors run on 100 hz. no need to draw the screen faster.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #89
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

even still your talking about redrawing a 800x600 screen 100 times a second, a load the cpu shouldnt have to shoulder if someone spotted a couple of hundred for a video card.

Your also talking about RAM consumption insted of memory on the video card.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #90
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I'm on about 80hz here... and that much going to the CPU when the cpu is calculating all that might just puff it out as you said.