Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
dosraider
Dismembered.

Thumbs up Congrats.

Congratulation with your new layout.

BTW funny little guy

Last edited by dosraider; 21-11-2007 at 10:09 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 21-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
JudgeDeadd
Super Freak

You've got to be kidding.
JudgeDeadd is offline                         Send a private message to JudgeDeadd
Old 21-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

Nope, I'm bloody serious.

What I read here in Site comments/suggestions is a long list of topics by whining babies.
Some complaints are valid.
Most aren't.

I really wonder if any of you have the slightiest idea about the amount of work that is put in here.
So there are some glitches, oh my, big deal.
Give it some time.

At least the site is fast, the forum is fast, and I don't have to download a whole bucket of Java shit to use it.
Several people are working on it to improve it, to find solutions for the problems.
There are other sites where none would even care to maintain it.

So yes, the congrats are meant as congrats.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 21-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Thumbs up

Same point of view.
Dave is offline                         Send a private message to Dave
Old 21-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I don't have the same point of view. I worked a little as a beta tester and I was thrilled by the improvements... But it seemed to work better in the beta version than here, mainly because I thought it was still in development. But it should not still be a work in progress at this stage, 'cause we're using it like a final product!

Why switch to this forum if it's still bugged and, let's talk frankly, still in ALPHA stage?

If I had the choice, I'd take the old forum back while things are getting worked on here. All this stuff, that I personally consider mediocre at best, push me on stopping visiting this board altogether.

And my patience is already wearing thin.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 23-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
velik_m
Game Wizzard

People will always whine if you make them switch to inferior product. And all this problems makes me wonder what beta testers were testing? Didn't anybody bother to check IE compatibility?

Not to mention insistance on giving up personal information.

Drupal has it's own forum (which sucks) and the developers are not really that interested in adding support for 3rd party forums (or improving theirs for that matter). I suspect most issues the site is experiencing have roots in this fact.
velik_m is offline                         Send a private message to velik_m
Old 23-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by velik_m View Post
And all this problems makes me wonder what beta testers were testing? Didn't anybody bother to check IE compatibility?
forums weren't "on-line" for betatesters, we tested the site only.

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 23-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 25-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
PIGSgrame

Send a message via ICQ to PIGSgrame

What I wonder is: What was wrong with old Abandonia? Was the relaunch really necessary? Within a few days, a nice-looking, well-working page has been turned into an almost unuseable one. I also liked the old design much better, it was clean, well organized and easy to get used to. The new design (which is meant to be "simply elegant", I think) just looks unfinished and unprofessional (and be assured that I don't consider a design which is overloaded by Flash and animated GIFs "professional"). I fail to see any advantages of the new Abandonia, and all I notice is that everything works worse than before (game search is not working, forum is cut-off at the bottom of the page and must be "unframed" to be able to use it, forum has far less options - I hate it when I can only have 10 posts on a page, I also don't want to be subscribed for a thread I post into with no way to disable it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
At least the site is fast, the forum is fast, and I don't have to download a whole bucket of Java shit to use it.
That is true. But so was it before the relaunch, so this is hardly a favour of the new layout. Additionally, I actually don't remember that much boards which made me download "a whole bucket of Java shit"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Several people are working on it to improve it, to find solutions for the problems.
There are other sites where none would even care to maintain it.
Right, there are Millions of non-working sites where no one cares to maintain them. But this does not explain why an already well-working, active community portal was rewritten, just to be buggy (up to being unuseable) and in urgent need of improvement.

Please don't geht me wrong: I do appreciate the work that is put into this portal and has been for years. But frankly speaking, I cannot say much more than that in my eyes, the relaunch has completely failed so far (or, in other words: I think it was not worth the hard work which has undoubtably been put into it).
If you care for my opinion: Please bring back the old Abandonia page, where everything was nearly perfect.

Last edited by PIGSgrame; 25-11-2007 at 02:21 PM.
PIGSgrame is offline                         Send a private message to PIGSgrame
Old 25-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSgrame View Post
Additionally, I actually don't remember that much boards which made me download "a whole bucket of Java shit"...
Now let's see, there was ign, gamespot, gamepro, -amongst others-, those are the sites where I dismissing myself (yes I could do so there) and stopped visiting because they had to modernise and do agressive advertising, animated pages, and so on.
Not that they will miss me, my place is already taken in, but also it seems I don't miss them.
I simply refuse to accept the 'you must install' this and that crap plugin and the according updates.

And you know what? The longer I use this new board the more possibilities I discover.

It also seems that many of the problems are related to all that crap the youth seems to like so much, all the non-standard plugins and so on. Give that a thought.

So yeah, personnal opinion of mine:
Congrats, they still stand.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 26-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Then I guess it won't bother you when I'll simply stop visiting the site. Except when I'll need to download something of course.