Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Okay, so I've been given the task of cleaning this old pile of **** of all adware, spyware and the like. Registry cleanup etc done, but still I have issues with two pieces of adware that the anti-virus program failed to remove.

They called "adware.look2me.f11", and reside in C:\windows\system\uklmon.dll and dcwox.dll. I cannot remove these two files.

So, I'm asking you a question: What, apart from a complete HDD reformatt and system reinstallation, I can do?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Edit the registry but dont ask me how to do this...
Old 22-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Have you tried using some programs like spybot, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, or even ms antispy?

Since you have look2me you can try using this look2me remover program as well you can get it here
http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe

if those don't work, you could always head to some of the forums like caslecops or spywareinfo and post a hijackthis log, to see if it can be removed via that route.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 23-02-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
auhsor
Super Freak

Well if the above fails, I suggest trying out Spybot Search & Destroy. Use this as well as Adaware fairly regularly and your system should be free from all the junk.

Also you tend to get alot less spyware with using a browser other than Internet Explorer I've found. I scan every month or so with Adaware and SS&D and they only really get a couple of tracking cookies. So yeah use Firefox too... or Opera, just not IE.
auhsor is offline                         Send a private message to auhsor
Old 24-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Ferna182
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Ferna182

have you tried the hijacker?
Ein Platz für dein Herz
Ist schon reseviert
Ferna182 is offline                         Send a private message to Ferna182
Old 24-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
Mats
Abandonia nerd

The best is to use specially designed adware remover, but if you know where the file is, you could try booting your computer up in fail-safe mode and delete the file that way.

///MJ
Mats is offline                         Send a private message to Mats
Old 25-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Ad-Aware, Spybot and look2me remover all tried, and promptly failed.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Another program that might work, is called Webroot's Spy Sweeper, it runs on a 30 day trial but it will remove spyware/adaware during that period and you can update the program, see if that helps.

Otherwise you might want to download hijackthis and post a log over at one of the forums at spywareinfo or castlecops and see if it can be removed via that route,

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 27-02-2005, 01:58 AM   #9
Caged
Game Wizzard

I recognized the Look2Me parasite immediately and can sympathyze with you as it is a truely nasty bug to try to get rid of. However, i have found your solution as I have been compiling my database.

BE WARNED!!!!

Have not had time to analyze this one and see if its safe or not. Use at you own risk. I am attaching the file because its only 14K but if you would rather download from another website, here is the addy from major geeks where i downloaded it.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4166.html
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 28-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I didn't try that one, but the Majorgeeks site had a link to an official remover. Worked like a charm after used, now completed an anti-virus scan with 100% success ratio. k: Thanks.

-- Reed Richards