Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #21
jdziedzic
Lurker

Wow... this game is such a blast from my past, I just HAD to register to use the forums! I remember playing this on my folks' IBM (CGA monitor, 256k of RAM, and two--count 'em, two!-- 5 1/4" floppy drives!). I think my favorite thing to do in this game back then was turn upside down and drop a bomb on myself. I might have actually beaten the game once; it's hard to say.
jdziedzic is offline                         Send a private message to jdziedzic
Old 29-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #22
JimmyJ
Game Wizzard

Welcome to the forums.

Actually, the upside down bombing is rather annoying, as i find myself upside down a lot :|
JimmyJ is offline                         Send a private message to JimmyJ
Old 30-12-2005, 03:47 AM   #23
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Yes I do know that throttle down is "z" (I read the review all the way through, it often is helpful). But that is not the problem. I press "z" and i do not throttle down. It has no effect on the game at all. I have downloaded it on two computers, each with a DOSBox and twice on each. If there is a enemy plane that I want to avoid i speed away and dodge it, but i crash into a mountain going that fast unless i cycle down to about 100 which takes alot away from gameplay. Could someone please help?
No, the game must be runned in 100 or less cycles, and it isn´t so bad. But if u like a quick game with better game play u will keep crashing into mountains... In both modes Sopwith its a really good game
Old 08-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #24
Old School Gamer

This was a fun game just to kill some time. k: I would bomb the enemy's airstrip and create a hole and just watch the enemies planes just fall in and explode. :w00t:
Old School Gamer is offline                         Send a private message to Old School Gamer
Old 16-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
Amundo
Lurker

LEARN HOW TO DESTROY THE ENEMY's RUNWAY! See "6"...

The thing I like most about this game is that it takes a while to master. When you've learnt the skills, you can manage quite easily. And there are a lot of things to do, apart from completing the mission.

I have a few comments and hints, addressing some of the frustrated players in this forum.

CPU cycles
I recommend somewhere around 200-250. Any less gets either boring or too easy or both. Right now I'm playing at 230.

1. You cannot throttle both ways.
The trick about this game, is that you need to use the "flip" button quite often, pretty much whenever you need to change the throttle direction. It will feel awkward at first, but keep at it. I've never used the Z key (or any other key, for that matter) to throttle down.

2. Play with bombs!
The best aspect of this game is what you can do with bombs. Practice dive bombing at high speed rather than trying to time them flying horizontally. You do not need a steep angle in order to make a good dive. The best thing about this game is that the faster you fly, the better the bombs perform, in terms of precision.

3. Be creative with bombs!
When driving towards the right, try flying upside down, straight ahead. Then, approaching an enemy, drop a bomb right into his face. You will need some speed in order to make this work.

4. Vertical bombing.
Another way to make your bombs hit their targets is to hurl them straight up in the air. For some reason, your biplane's "belly" must be facing the right, not the left, or your bomb will explode in mid-air, killing you. Try to learn what angles are "legal" for dropping bombs, in order to know your options.

5. Create chaos with bombs!
When another plane makes you loop forever, invent some chaos by hurling a bomb or two straight up into the air. What goes up, must come down. This will in some cases lead to the bomb hitting your opponent on its way down. Just don't get hit yourself.

6. Destroy the enemy runway!
It is actually possible to keep the enemy in the middle base grounded! This is not an easy task, but it is very cool when you succeed. In order to do this, you must blast a large hole in his runway. Target the spot just beneath where he spawns. As you dig deeper, you may notice that he's somewhat slower at taking off. And finally he will not take off at all. Then he will be at your mercy entirely. You can now shoot him, bomb him dead, or kill all the targets without his bullets up your behind.

:w00t:

This may sound a little too good to be true, but it IS. It requires a lot of bombs, though, and some skill, as you obviously need to return to base and reload several times. The crater you make beneath his spawn point must be probably three bombs deep, and at least three bombs wide, if you hit the right spot.
k:
I guess those of you who thought you had exhausted this game just got a new challenge...
Amundo is offline                         Send a private message to Amundo
Old 26-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #26
Kamil
Wink

My 1st game on PC XT 4.77 Mhz
hehe

Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #27
Guest_Greg_*

Hi, just downloaded this on advice from a friend, looks like fun but it's far too fast, trolling through the forums i saw that it is possible to 'cycle down' but i can't work out how to do that on xp. any advice?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

advice is 'use dosbox'
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DOSBox
Download DOSBox
Use DOSBox
DOSBox Tutorial
Dosbox, the ultimate oldschool gaming experience

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #30
Batmanifestdestiny
Game freak

So the review mentions making new levels, how do you do that?
Batmanifestdestiny is offline                         Send a private message to Batmanifestdestiny