Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Since it's been asked a few times, I thought I'd make a quick topic on how I got a download manager to work with the site. In my case I'm using GetRight, although FlashGot supports most AFAIK.

1) This is based on using Firefox - I know similar plugins exist for Opera, so it may be possible there too.

2) Download FlashGot

3) Install and configure FlahGot using its instructions - it's nice and easy.

4) Pick a game from Abandonia and follow the Download links. The second "Get It Now" button may at first appear not to do anything. I've found that sometimes the dialogue has simply appeared behind my browser window, and sometimes not at all. However, if it doesn't appear it will after clicking the button 2 or 3 times - just pick a save location, close any duplicate dialogues and Bob's your uncle.

5) Note: In order to covnserve bandwidth, please use only one connection to the server - you can then resume the download if it is interrupted.

EDIT: The new version of FlashGot seems to pop up in front first time for me, which is nice.

I hope this helps if anyone's having similar difficulty (and that the admins don't get upset if the "no download managers" thing is in fact deliberate...)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 19-04-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

The no download managers thing is deliberate :whistle:
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 19-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #3
Caged
Game Wizzard

for curiosity's sake as well as my own, why aren't download managers the in-thing with us?
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 19-04-2005, 02:46 AM   #4
Konoko

Quote:
Originally posted by Caged@Apr 19 2005, 01:56 AM
for curiosity's sake as well as my own, why aren't download managers the in-thing with us?
I would assume that download managers themselves are not the problem, just connecting multiple times from the same IP address. The idea behind these multiple connections is to increase the slice of the server's bandwidth that is devoted to the users downloads.

If you make sure to set your download manager to only use one connection then there should be no real problem. I know some folk like to use the pause/resume features that you get with them, I did back when I was stuck with dialup.

FireFox download manager also allows you to pause downloads as well as a few other browsers out there (Opera possibly?)
Konoko is offline                         Send a private message to Konoko
Old 19-04-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Firefox's pause feature has never worked out for me, I remember reading that it still isn't up to par of what it should be, but the team at mozilla are working on making it improved and such, so here's hoping.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 19-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Data
retired

yeps it's the multiple downloads at once that bothers us. The resuming feature is something we welcome as it saves bandwidth (as downloads that fail for some reason can be resumed instead of restarted)

Old 19-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Konoko

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathDude@Apr 19 2005, 04:02 AM
Firefox's pause feature has never worked out for me, I remember reading that it still isn't up to par of what it should be...
Yep I have to agree that it could do with some improving (had a couple of problems with it resuming in the past). I have to echo BeefontheBone and recommend that firefox users use FlashGot + a supported download manager.

Quote:
as downloads that fail for some reason can be resumed instead of restarted
Humm yes I can see that as being a pain for a site like Abandonia with large files. I host a set of imageboards for a friend and for every 70gb or so downloaded at least 1gb is wasted on failed partial downloads (soon adds up).
Konoko is offline                         Send a private message to Konoko
Old 19-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

*moved to compatibility [EDIT] and pinned
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 19-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Good call - I wasn't entirely sure where to put this since it's specifically about Abandonia.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Was wondering how relevant all this is with the new d/l server - I've not downloaded anything since it went up so I'm not sure.