Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Musteriuz

Default Magic the Gathering issue

Hey guys, I am trying to get MTG going to perform a review, but every time I start a game I get the following error message after picking my colour:
File -> D:\NewMagic\sources\sidlib\te text.c, Line->131Filefonts.cv could not be opened: EXITING
Any advice please?
Musteriuz is offline                         Send a private message to Musteriuz
Old 28-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Are you using the original version, Shandalar 2010 or Shandalar 2012?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Moj drudak'ak

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 12-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

He's using the archive I gave him from our FTP. There may be much better versions to try... Where can we find them?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Here.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 21-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Where exactly can the game be downloaded in that forum?
Old 22-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

There are several builds, as it is divided more now. Let me check...

Here is the link for reworked 2010 version and patch. It seems, game is in torrent form. Patch to v2011 is right in the first post. Seems, they abandoned "complete" versions after that.

Here is newest Manalink only (multiplayer part of MtG).

And here is the Shandalar pair for newest Manalink. (Adventure part). Seems, it have exactly the same cards as original, but was modded with newer pictures, monster decks and added DeckBuilder functionality. And some stability too.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 22-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Thanks! I don't know this game, or its development or post-development history; which version is the one that you think Abandonia should host?

Is the first one the closest to the original? If so, does it have any drawback? Or does it also contain fan-made components, only less current? Can both do multiplayer?
Old 22-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I recall reading that the 2010 version can do multiplayer but there are some issues with it.
The first one is closer to the original and works stably in Win XP. Yes, it does contain some fan-provided components. I recall the card artwork was expanded with variants scanned from actual printed MTG cards.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Thanks! I don't know this game, or its development or post-development history; which version is the one that you think Abandonia should host?

Is the first one the closest to the original? If so, does it have any drawback? Or does it also contain fan-made components, only less current? Can both do multiplayer?
There are two totally distinct modules in this MtG.

First one is "MtG: Shandalar". It's full single-player game, where world of Shandalar is torn apart by 5 mighty wizards. You must collect immensive deck, defeating smaller creatures and exploring dungeons, then confront wizard themselves. Game itself was hard-coded, so it's logic and card set is immovable. But deck of individual creatures always could be modified, and modern versions have also some card art reworked. I think also that this versions have option to have old card art too. It have also some added functionality at Deck Bulder module - that allow you to check your deck, fine-tune stats, etc. Otherwise game is always the same.

Second module is "Manalink". It is where you can make tournaments/duels with individual Shandalar creatures or your buddies over net. It had the same battle interface, card art and deck builder - but that's all that common with Shandalar. And it's part that was most overworked at Slighty's forum: they added lot of cards, rewritten net code, etc.

Both part is independent of each other, so can be totally separated - and they did it last two years, it seems.