Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
LotharGR
Super Freak

Default The Quest For Larry 4

In case anyone is wondering about why there isn't a "Larry 4" game... The official explenation by Sierra was that the Game was stolen by pirates at the time it was nearly-complete... So Sierra decided to never release it.
So, i'm wondering. If this is the case with Larry 4, what did the Pirates do with the game? They destroyed it? They kept it for themselfs ? Or is it ( even half-complete ) somewere? ( on the internet maybe ). Anyone has a clue? :P
LotharGR is offline                         Send a private message to LotharGR
Old 08-06-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know the real story behind Larry 4: The Case of the Missing Floppies!
(But I am not going to tell you straight away). :P

Many theories exist... The most popular is the pirate theory.

The full theory goes that it was game-spies from Broderbund who stole the script for Larry 4. (The game was rumored to be a kind off detective game in which you had to locate Larry... Called "Where in the World is Leisure Suit Larry?") But as stated above Broderbund stole the script for the game, and renamed it "Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?"... The game was then renamed "Larry 4: The Case of the Missing Floppies!", to symbolize the fact that Sierra no longer had the floppy disks for the game!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
FreeFreddy

True crime

Old 08-06-2004, 07:42 AM   #4
auhsor
Super Freak

I think that Al Lowe wanted to differentiate the first 3 games from the other ones. Well I think thats what I heard. The other explanation was that the gane was actuallty a virus, as in SQ4...

Thats from what I remember tho...
auhsor is offline                         Send a private message to auhsor
Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ah yes...
The virus theory... :wink:

Alway fun to think that the game might actually be Al Lowe's little revenge on Sierra.

The theory goes like this:
While making the three first games, Al Lowe saw that the other Quest projects were getting a lot more attention from his superiors... this included better programmers, more fundings and so on... So Al Lowe made a virus instead of the fourth game, threatening to set it loose on Sierra's main computer frame... if he did not get better programmers and more money. Something he did, and so work began on the fifth episode of Leisure Suit Larry.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
LotharGR
Super Freak

I Didn't knew that story about Broderbund etc. Anyway... If this is the case this means that at least for a time the game was in production. So what has happened after that? Is it somewere?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
LotharGR
Super Freak

Im starting to believe that the whole "Larry 4 case" has become something like a conspiracy theory of the gaming world :P
Old 08-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #8
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No shit?! :wink:
(Shit?? I meant bull-dropping) :?

But just throw your theories and ideas around... maybe I'll tell you the real story some day :twisted:
Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
LotharGR
Super Freak

There is something i want to ask. The "Big names" behind each product ( Al lowe for Larry, Jim Walls for Police Quest etc ) what were they? They were working as partners of Sierra, or were just Employees?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Al Lowe was a weid bearded, chubby little man with a strange humour that came up with a great idea for a game. He walked down to Sierra and they embraced him (or tried to... chubby, remember?...) and pleaded him to write the script for the game. He was then made some kind of employee.

Jim Walls were a Highway Patrol Officer for 42 years before he started on writing the scripts for Police Quest. He was called up by Sierra one day, and they asked him if he would share his knowledge of police work with them. He too was then made some sort of temporarily employee.