Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Should it?
Yes 10 55.56%
No 7 38.89%
I love horses 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It doesn't surprise me that the starting post is flawed from start to finish then...
Old 21-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
jacoboram126

Yeah they should be legalized copy rights are just laws made by the elite to feed their greed!!!!
Old 23-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

No, they aren't. The inherent ignorance of your statement is astounding.
If there were no copyright laws, that "elite" of yours would be able simply copy anything you create, use it for their own purposes and don't pay you a dime. Intellectual property - and that means things like literature, music and computer software - would be worthless, and you'd end up with a world where none of these would probably exist at all.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hey, don't worry too much about it Fifth. Everything in the thread opener post was flawed.

Like stating that if you have a hard copy of a console game, you can have a hacked copy on your computer to use as backup in conjunction with an emulator... That's just crazy talk stupidly taking grounds into an urban myth. Even if we were to factor the "you can have a copy of your good for personal purpose", the copy would need to be made in the same medium than the original object to be valid. Which mean copy the cartridge into another cartridge, to be used on the same medium.

Having console roms on your computer is just illegal whatever way you look at it. It always been and it will always be. What most people think have nothing to do with it.

We could dismantle the whole post point by point like this... But that would really be wasted time.
Old 23-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

Both sides are arguable. Things would be different but intellectual creation would not cease to exist, just like it existed during most of human history when no laws regulated it.
Old 23-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

1. Massice necropost. How the hell did you find the thread?
2. Get spotify, pay the 10 € / month, listen to it on you iPod/iPhone/Droid
3. 10 € too much? Get a job!
4. Can't get a job? Try harder, pay tax and contribute to the civilization we've created rather then leeching.
Old 23-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

This managed to rouse everyone's emotions, I see. AGAIN!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 23-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hey, there is an excellent side to this necropost: Titan got to post again! Let's rejoice!

Clearly, our only possible action now is to necopost all very old but sensible subject so our "venerable" members get to post again.
Old 24-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
This managed to rouse everyone's emotions, I see. AGAIN!
Sure did.

I believe MP3 distribution should be legally allowed/free.

Bands/groups make almost all of their money from concerts/performances.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 24-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Most musicians make very little as it is. Only big names get massive profits. Even people like Weird Al get a few cents per song. The music companies make all the money. Paul MacCartney can't play the Beatles songs he wrote because Sony owns the rights. Stealing other people's property is still stealing, whether it's their music, their books or their games. If you think about it, royalties are all that's keeping Poul Anderson's widow fed and housed. (His daughter is on my favourite listserv.) If all property is theft, and should be given away for free, what about your stuff? You should let anyone who comes along pick out what they like from your home and walk off with it. The one good thing about the Internet, though, is that there will eventually be no need for huge record companies. Or so I hope. So maybe artists will get that much more income from their own work. Speaking of work -- I haven't gotten any yet. Oh well.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete