Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #21
Audric

Quote:
Originally posted by T-man @ Sep 30 2006, 04:51 AM

I encountered a bug in the game that made it impossible for me to finish.
Everytime I went up and down a level, the common keys on my keyrings would reset to 1.
I listed 2 workarounds in the HOTU comments. (Audric)
It's still annoying sometimes, but the game is still very playable and very enjoyable - I finished it several times, trying different teams.

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: html

Old 13-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #22

For the benefit of others, here is what Audris posted on HOTU:

Posted On 09/10/03 by Audric
IMPORTANT: bug in the game
(tested on Win98)
The game has a bug which makes all piles of "common keys" to become a single "common key", everytime you change map (ie: enter a stair up/down, enter a teleport to an other dungeon, or walk into a hole in the floor) This can easily ruin the game, especially if you don't understand it is a bug...

I found the following workaround:
* Always store common keys as a single pile
* As soon as you can, buy enough keys to make a pile of 99.
* Always keep this pile of keys in a character's free hand, so you keep an eye on it.
* Now the trick: Before EACH map change, left-click on the keys and "carry" them in your mouse pointer. This way, they will survive the map change.
* Last hint: use incremental saves using all the save slots. call them 1,2,3 etc.. so you know which one is which. If you mess your common keys, you need to restore.

I don't know yet if 99 keys is enough for the whole game.

Posted On 09/30/03 by Audric
bug workaround, part 2
What if you blew it and lost your common keys: Use the following file hack on your savegame:

File: HEXXn.SAV
Look for 8F 01 , this should be a pile of 1 key in your inventory. Replace it with 8F 63 (99 keys)

Alternatively, put 8F 63 at address: 00B15A : it will place 99 keys in your front right character's left hand (so be sure his hand is empty)

Enjoy the game!

Posted On 10/17/03 by Audric
OK, I checked, 99 keys is more than enough to finish the game.
By the way, the manual is REQUIRED for copy protection check, each time you recover one of the talismans.
You can alt-tab out of the game, and back after looking at the manual jpgs'.

VERY nice game indeed.

Old 20-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #23

Help I played this game many years back and want to play again, only trouble is the mouse is not working in the game. I am useing DOSBOX, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks

Old 20-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Read the DosBox readme.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #25

Yer I got it now, thanks alot

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: repaired smiley :o

Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #26
zaira

There was, back in the 80's a VERY nice game (in that time it was very nice) Called Bloodwhich. It was SO awesome, that it created a genre itself, the amiga and amstrad CPC versions worked prefectly, but, the PC version has 2 bugs that made it unplayable... basically, they forgot to add a stair, on one part, and a key, on another part.

SO, the pc users were pissed, cause they've heard about this game in 1st view, and they'd tried it... was a miracle... best graphics ever (on that times, the 80's). BUT, we couldn't play it!!!

So psygnosis was kind enough to create a remake for us, PC users, and this Hexx is that remake. It has "crappy" graphics cause it's intended that way. It adds NOTHING new cause it's just a remake... It's just... Bloodwhich for PC... and we were REALLY happy to have it. So... yes, this game is a must in any collection.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #27
Borys

Well... crap.

The game freezes on me after I reclaim the second gem (a violet tear) from the 7th level of Shaspuok's Dark Demense (2nd dungeon). I take the gem, screen turns black (maybe he is waiting for FMV?) and I can't continue.

I'm pretty much stuck for eternity cause there is simply nobody out there who could help me with this problem.

Damn :/
Borys is offline                         Send a private message to Borys
Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Borys

Ok, the game is unbeatable in DOSBox. I tried this moment on a real Windows 98 machine and it worked. There is a cinematic screen and it simply hangs on it under DOSBox. Under Windows 98 I can see it and pass it

Be warned though that Hexx needs a mouse and EMS memory support, I had to enable it it config.sys.

Phew, I'm in the 3rd dungeon right now, The Fire Tower and so far I am loving this game.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #29
Borys

Ok, this game got beaten today

Here are a few tips for you folks cause playing an old DOS RPG without a single walkthrough is *kind of* annoying:

- DO NOT EVER throw away the two gems (red and blue) you get after beating the first God's Tower.
- after using them in the second God's Tower TAKE THEM with you
- ALWAYS keep them in your backpack
- beware of the missing common keys bug! Workaround is posted @ Underdogs in the Comments section.
- during battles ALWAYS keep the Ethblade spell casted, A L W A Y S. Your characters have to have their left hand empty for this spell to work, I never kept anything in the left hand slot.
- Antimagic, Deflect spells are your friends
- HEAL during battles using HEALING or RENEW.
- monsters not only do not respawn but they also do not regenerate. If you have problems with some tough encounter back up one level, heal and go back down to finish the fight.
- the DEADLY LEVEL OF GREEN FIREBALLS in third God's Tower is beatable. Hide away in safe corners, heal, and push on.
- you can kill the last boss BEFORE you set him free, makes the final challenge much easier (he is SUPER fast).
- be sure to finish this game under Windows 98 or pure DOS. After you kill the last boss there's cinematic that crashes DOSBox. All cinematics excluding the intro crash DOSBox.

Have fun, the game is great (Gravis music ROCKS), easy and quite short.
Old 22-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #30
Professor Sarah Bellum
Default Brilliant

Many thanks. I had this game and enjoyed it. I've been trying for years to play it. I finally decided to Google a download and found the exact same version I had which didn't work.
Thanks to DOS Box and especially you, I can enjoy it again. Thanks.