Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #281
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Lets be clear here folks: a batch file (.bat) is a command file in text form which execute every line which is written in the batch file one after the other just like if you were typing it by yourself.

The only difference between a batch file and the same commands that you would type by yourself is speed.

The only way that what been described above would work to prevent a game to be able to access its own directory would be to write the batch file in such a way that instead of using the CD commands you access the executable file (.exe) directly. Like for example by typing
Code:
c:\oldgames\whatever\whatever.exe
instead of
Code:
cd c:\oldgames\whatever\
whatever.exe
The difference between the two is that the first example allow you to call a program from another directory without having to change the directory you are currently using while the second example change the directory you are currently using to the target directory of the executable you wish to run.

-EoF
Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #282
Pex
Game Wizzard

A bit about the game

I remember spending days playing this game back in 90ies, but when I tried it now it just didn't 'click' for me (unlike Colonization, for example).

Question: Can you abandon a city other than making settlers?
Old 13-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #283
DOS dinosaur
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Lets be clear here folks: a batch file (.bat) is a command file in text form which execute every line which is written in the batch file one after the other just like if you were typing it by yourself.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The only way that what been described above would work to prevent a game to be able to access its own directory would be to write the batch file in such a way that instead of using the CD commands you access the executable file (.exe) directly.
Or by hand-typing the same thing (full path/exe from the root or another dir) instead of using the provided batch file that changes to the proper dir (which was my original point btw).

But I'm still not clear whether DOS commands and other characteristics (such as current directory status) behave the same in DOSBox, as I assume there's a good bit of "virtual" stuff going on there...

"At game's end, king and pawn go in the same box."

Last edited by DOS dinosaur; 13-11-2009 at 04:43 AM.
DOS dinosaur is offline                         Send a private message to DOS dinosaur
Old 13-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #284
Elena
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Question: Can you abandon a city other than making settlers?
No, you can’t.

There is an interesting "bug" at the beginning of the game. If you have nothing but your capital that contains one population point, you can build settlers without destroying the city. The settlers will be built and the capital will remain intact. It can be rather useful when you play at Emperor level. You can quickly build up to 2 settlers on conditions that you have no military units yet - your first city can hardly maintain more. If you have more than one city, the capital will disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
What's more irritating is the fact that after you have made every city improvement and wonder, and you have built all the units you want, you need to continuously create units.
I built useless city improvements instead of useless units and sold them immediately after completion. For example, SDI Defence or Barracks. You don’t need Barracks in every city, especially when you’ve built all units you need.

Last edited by Elena; 13-11-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Elena is offline                         Send a private message to Elena
Old 13-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #285
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Or by hand-typing the same thing (full path/exe from the root or another dir) instead of using the provided batch file that changes to the proper dir (which was my original point btw).
The first part of my post imply what you just said for the second part.
Old 13-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #286
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I built useless city improvements instead of useless units and sold them immediately after completion. For example, SDI Defence or Barracks. You don’t need Barracks in every city, especially when you’ve built all units you need.
same here, its a bit the same as 'capitalization', but requires more work. If i cant care much, i usually create caravans, freights and units like that, and when i need a build boost somewhere i move there and disband. After all, if you disband in a city you get some production back. So yes, if you bug me, even my smallest city makes tanks in 1 turn, as long as its connected to the railroad system
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 14-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #287
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS dinosaur View Post
Well, it certainly works in DOS. Many DOS games would create a batch file in the root dir so users could simply type in the name at the C:\> prompt without having to manually change dirs.
If you had a directory one level higher than the root ( :laugh: ) and would execute the BAT from there, it wouldn't work. (Your post has nothing to do with the quote, I would say. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
*cough* *cough* *cough*
Yes it works.
Use this: cd\xxxx

Notice the \ not a space.

...... learn the basic dos commands .......
Okay, I didn't place a relative before directory change, but I thought that would be clear since an EXE would work as well when using absolute paths. That was the topic (apart from the GAME ) - the un-usefulness of the command [path]\[executable] regarding relative accesses within the executable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS dinosaur View Post
But I'm still not clear whether DOS commands and other characteristics (such as current directory status) behave the same in DOSBox, as I assume there's a good bit of "virtual" stuff going on there...
It's exactly the same. Correct me if I'm wrong, dosraider.
Old 17-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #288
DOS dinosaur
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
If you had a directory one level higher than the root ( :laugh: ) and would execute the BAT from there, it wouldn't work. (Your post has nothing to do with the quote, I would say. )
Of course it would work. You can change the current dir to and/or from anywhere within a batch file, as well as run executables in a different dir.

Lol, either we're not communicating very well or... ah, never mind. I've no idea how to explain this any better.

Best wishes to all involved.

"At game's end, king and pawn go in the same box."
DOS dinosaur is offline                         Send a private message to DOS dinosaur
Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #289
Saccade
[BANNED]

Does anyone know if there's a patcher, like that one 5th used to patch "Robot Oddysey", that could be used to easily change save-game values (converting numbers to hex, to insert into the save file) for Civ save games?

Like:
Choose a number to change civilization: 1 for Roman, 2 for Aztec, etc...
and all the other stuff that you can change in the game..?
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #290
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If there isn't, one could be made with MSG (assuming the offsets for each value are stable).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman