Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #3321
BostonGeorge
Game freak

I think with 3,319 replies very much according the game itself was discussed here. So why don't use these threads as kind of shrines for the game, from time to time of course especially when it is not any kind of random crap but instead a little video masterpiece?

Shouldn't game discussion not involve also the culture of the games? Sorry I have to much time right now ... *shutting up*
Old 09-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #3322
Japo
Autonomous human

Great video
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #3323
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

WTG about totally missing the point...

But nevermind me. I'm only rambling.
Old 24-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #3324
Crysalids
Default I hate Chrysalids

Finnaly got ahold of this game. Real Gem and really addicting, It does seem slightly imbalanced in places but that is part of what gives it it's charm... like it was a tad more realistic. But enough about what rocks onto the real rant.

Are chrysalids immune to grenades or something? I recently dealt with terrormission where they were crawling out of the buildings like nuts. I finally thought I had narrowed it down to 3 in a ware house. so I nuked the place to the ground with alien grenades and rockets. after the smoke cleared... (metaphorically) I see 2 Crysalids still standing in the burning (litterally) remains as if to mock me. I don't know if the third one died and got obliterated or if it escaped but I came to the conclusion the only effective counter to crysalids was a flying suit.

In other news Colonel frankenstien's face has recovered from plasma wounds and NARC Guy went MIA thanks to mind control.

do MIA agents ever show up? That could have been a nice little feature.

anyways onto cydonia and then the deep sea... I looked into UFO 2000 but was disapointed by the asthetic.

I was really happy with the way X-com looked. Sometimes I look at oldergames and I think "now I know graphics were limited, but this looks bad" X-com isn't one of those games. It manages to balance detail with artistry and randomly generated landscapes makes up for any other failure. I do sometimes wonder about the beer-can towers in peoples homes, or the eternal lack of toilets but hey it's a game, and it makes for good cover.

My only complaint with the game graphically is the guy's chin in the opening... its weird.

ahh Chrysalids... you should have been a meme.

Old 24-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #3325
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I have never understood why so many people have trouble with the Chrysalids. That particular terror unit is ranked quite low in my "scary list" in this game. Its long range attack is somewhere between completely useless and impractical and the AI is so weak that it usually simply run in circle without really attacking you, even after seemingly charging you.

As long as you don't rush your team in then you are fine.

To answer your question, Chrysalids are all but invulnerable to anything. They do however have a hefty amount of HP and TU to spare and their melee attack are deadly. Do the math. They are also actually very vulnerable to fire. And it is also amusing to see them run in terror as they try to put themselves out.

The first thing which you should reconsider is using very heavy weapons like bazookas. It is bulky, weight a ton and a half and you need to spend a lot of the small amount of TU you have left to reload... Which usually mean a rate of fire of about one shot every two turns. That's more than pathetic considering that once you get anything even slightly more powerful than your starting riffles you can punch thru about any building in one shot. Heck, even the heavy cannon and the autocannon can punch thru a wall without much of a problem. Not to mention grenades.

Against Chrysalids, you need to keep your distances. So stay far, stay alert and use reaction fire to gun them down. Even if you only hit the thing once, a single injury can lower its total TU enough to prevent it from hitting you in its turn (if it ever get close) and then simply concentrate enough firepower in its direction to gun it down as they try to approach you.

If you do night missions then you should always have as many light sources as you have squaddies. That's a very basic rule to follow, especially since the vast majority of the Aliens see further than you in plain daylight... And they see even better than you in darkness, considering your squaddies see next to nothing in complete darkness. So keep those light sticks handy and use them liberally.

What I usually do in the beginning of the game is use one or two heavy cannons, two autocannons and the rest of my squad use riffles. With a total number of squaddies of 12 if I remember well. I don't use tanks for several reasons which are not important here. The number 12 is handy since I can make 3 squads of 4 squaddies each. Having squads which back each other back is quite important in this game since a soldier still have his chances at hitting an enemy from the other side of the map even if it is out of sight. Spot an enemy, concentrate your fire on it and gun it down. Squads should move in echelon or two by two to cover each other: always have at least two of them ready to return reaction fire. You move slower this way but you also reduce your chances of losing squaddies by a lot.

Simply make sure you have enough squaddies to replace wounded/dead soldiers and you're in business. Add new and stronger weapons as they get available. And try to research the first armor ASAP. Once you have armor, make sure all your squaddies carries medikits.

... I guess that would be enough for now.
Good luck.

Quote:
do MIA agents ever show up? That could have been a nice little feature.
Nope. They are lost forever.
Quote:
anyways onto cydonia and then the deep sea... I looked into UFO 2000 but was disapointed by the asthetic.
Cydonia is the end of UFO... And the deep sea is TtdD. I'm not sure I understand why you mention them. Already moving from one to the other?

UFO 2000 is simply a clone which primarily aim is to allow multiplayer play. I don't really like it either and I don't mean only the graphics.
Old 24-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #3326
Japo
Autonomous human

The UFOpaedia has the stats for them after you make an autopsy. It actually asserts that Chryssalids are specially vulnerable to explosive ordnance, but some wiki I found says that this is false (according to the disassembly of the game?) in that it only applies after they're unconscious?.
Old 24-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #3327
Chrysalids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I have never understood why so many people have trouble with the Chrysalids. That particular terror unit is ranked quite low in my "scary list" in this game. Its long range attack is somewhere between completely useless and impractical and the AI is so weak that it usually simply run in circle without really attacking you, even after seemingly charging you.
I know this is true, I have seen it happen in youtube videos and what not, but I always seem to be the lucky guy with the smart crysalids looking at him. Often the crysalid will not be satisfied with one zombie minion, it will often tag two or even three of my guys with it's infection before finnally running out of turn units. Since the infect skill doesn't seem to be a weapon, I don't think it uses turn units like a normal attack. As a result, as long as you are in the walking range of the bugger you are dead. Hence my conclusion flying suit > Chrysalid.
Quote:
The first thing which you should reconsider is using very heavy weapons like bazookas. It is bulky, weight a ton and a half and you need to spend a lot of the small amount of TU you have left to reload... Which usually mean a rate of fire of about one shot every two turns. That's more than pathetic considering that once you get anything even slightly more powerful than your starting riffles you can punch thru about any building in one shot. Heck, even the heavy cannon and the autocannon can punch thru a wall without much of a problem. Not to mention grenades.
Bazookas, rockets and the like, are in my opinion brilliant support weapons. Give them to the noob in your squad to garuntee an easy promotion. They are usually stuck in the back anyway and not much use if you only use a fraction of your squad. When Etherials and mindcontrol start becomming an issue I will never even look at a rocket launcher again, but until then I can use it to clear the terrain and blow away any aliens thinking cover is a good idea. The issue with punching through with beam is that it only takes away one square of terrain, and sometimes less than that. If you want the building intact for personal use that's great but if you just want to clear out the aliens... BOOOM. Accuracy is also not an issue as you can aim at the ground instead.
Maybe in the grand scheme of things Rockets aren't worth the effort. But they are alot more fun.
Quote:
Cydonia is the end of UFO... And the deep sea is TtdD. I'm not sure I understand why you mention them. Already moving from one to the other?
Not yet, but I will when the time comes. Although I might buy the playstation version of Terror from the deep. I generally perfer owning a disk to having a copy stored on my computer. And while retro gaming consoles have taken off, I haven't seen anystore attempt to resell computergames.

Quote:
UFO 2000 is simply a clone which primarily aim is to allow multiplayer play. I don't really like it either and I don't mean only the graphics.
What do you not like about the game? I assumed the incomplete beta status excused the interface, for now. And I don't like how it has a variety of weapons, but it is missing most of the basic X-com arsenal.
just Curious...

Sorry for the uber long post replies but after reading your complaint about the game discussion forum getting off topic I decided, "hey why not?"

Old 25-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #3328
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
I know this is true, I have seen it happen in youtube videos and what not, but I always seem to be the lucky guy with the smart crysalids looking at him. Often the crysalid will not be satisfied with one zombie minion, it will often tag two or even three of my guys with it's infection before finnally running out of turn units. Since the infect skill doesn't seem to be a weapon, I don't think it uses turn units like a normal attack. As a result, as long as you are in the walking range of the bugger you are dead. Hence my conclusion flying suit > Chrysalid.
As I said, the AI for the Aliens is quite weak. Just try to wait it out instead of rushing in and you'll realize that the Aliens come for you by themselves after enough turns passed rather than the opposite. And if you are in a close area without checking first then it is your own fault for getting caught off guard. Once you understand how the Aliens "think" you can very easily make good educated guesses at where they are and how to act and react. And this is where destroying specific walls with guns (I like autoshots for this) to "clear" buildings with sightings work great. With autoshots you can often destroy the wall and then have the remaining shots hit or kill the Aliens behind.

The way the Chrysalid zombie attack works is that if it kills one of your soldiers with a melee attack then it will automatically turn into a zombie. And their melee attacks are devastating. It is critically important not to enter melee with them in the very beginning of the game as you have no armor whatsoever and thus no protection. Later on, even the first armor is good enough protection to sustain a single hit and sometimes several hits if you are lucky.

Flying suits of course protect you from their melee attacks... But that's a very long way down the game. At that moment Chrysalids will be the least of your problems.

Quote:
Bazookas, rockets and the like, are in my opinion brilliant support weapons. Give them to the noob in your squad to garuntee an easy promotion. They are usually stuck in the back anyway and not much use if you only use a fraction of your squad. When Etherials and mindcontrol start becomming an issue I will never even look at a rocket launcher again, but until then I can use it to clear the terrain and blow away any aliens thinking cover is a good idea. The issue with punching through with beam is that it only takes away one square of terrain, and sometimes less than that. If you want the building intact for personal use that's great but if you just want to clear out the aliens... BOOOM. Accuracy is also not an issue as you can aim at the ground instead.
Maybe in the grand scheme of things Rockets aren't worth the effort. But they are alot more fun.
The fact that they are way more fun is really undeniable... However, there really is a lot of downsides. One of those downsides is that it create smoke and fire, which in turn create more smoke... And Aliens love to hide in smoke as it hinder your vision more than it hinder them. Ever been in a situation in which the Aliens fire and you cannot see them? That kind of situation increase dramatically the chances that you end up with a dead squaddie since it get really out of your control.

Field of vision is really important in this game. You need to be able to spot enemies easily and fast, preferably before they spot you. If they need to spot you first then they expand TU before being in a position to shoot, which mean fewer pot shots at your own soldiers while you bring your full force once your turn begin. If you don't seem them then you get vulnerable and this is tenfold worse against units like Chrysalids. Once you get in close quarter with them you are pretty much dead meat.

Also... A squaddie with a rocket launcher will almost never fire on reaction. I would not want a squaddie to fire randomly on reaction fire anyways, to be frank. This mean that it will never train its reaction stat, which also mean that it will always sit and do squat when they are in range of an enemy and still have UT left to shoot. How reaction fire work is that the Alien need to have less TU left than the soldier have reaction fire for it to be able to shoot back... So if that number is low it will rarely trigger at all. I would not want my squaddies to train this way, reaction fire is way too important in this game.

Quote:
Not yet, but I will when the time comes. Although I might buy the playstation version of Terror from the deep. I generally perfer owning a disk to having a copy stored on my computer. And while retro gaming consoles have taken off, I haven't seen anystore attempt to resell computergames.
Can't really help you here... However, a piece of advice: finish UFO before moving up to TftD. It is practically the same except that TftD is way harder and also actually have a decent grenade AI. In UFO you'll have an Alien toss a grenade to you once in a blue moon. In TftD, it is a dozain times a mission if you give them the opportunity. Really change a lot of things.

Quote:
What do you not like about the game? I assumed the incomplete beta status excused the interface, for now. And I don't like how it has a variety of weapons, but it is missing most of the basic X-com arsenal.
just Curious...
I didn't like UFO 2000 because I have always pictured UFO as being some kind of Laser Squad variant. You get guys with guns and you exchange fire in an urban environment, or somewhere with a lot of cover, etc. A while ago there was a UFO 2000 tournament hosted here and I discovered very fast that the modified weapons can get very, very ugly very fast. In short, build a team consisting of spotters and one or two grenade launchers with flying suits... Have the grenade launchers sit tight at one side of the map while your spotters find the enemies and then have the launchers lob grenades from one side of the map to the other. The end.

I didn't find it interesting as far as gameplay goes.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #3329
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I find rocket tanks somewhat more useful than rocket launchers. If there's space in the craft for one, take one.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #3330
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
As I said, the AI for the Aliens is quite weak. Just try to wait it out instead of rushing in and you'll realize that the Aliens come for you by themselves after enough turns passed rather than the opposite. And if you are in a close area without checking first then it is your own fault for getting caught off guard. Once you understand how the Aliens "think" you can very easily make good educated guesses at where they are and how to act and react.
The exception is terror sites where it's usually not a good idea to wait for the aliens since it means they will slaughter all the civilians, causing your score to plummet.
I did have some difficulty with chryssalids in some games but the flying disks are far worse to give a mid-game example.