GreatCanadianMan

agreed!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 20-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Thanks Russ and Fubb. I need some other graphics for fill though. SOmething from the classic games genre, obvious but not too obvious. Galaga starship maybe? Text is fairly easy stuff.

CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper
Old 21-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Heyas Cryb.

Thought I'd stop by, and share my thoughts on your work. Not worth much (my thoughts) but here goes:

Good shit.

Getting the ball rolling...

The first four or so images feel a little 'old' to me, they kind of remind me of the old Bruce4 install screens from my classic Powermac!

They are charming and quirky, but feel a little dated. If this is what you were aiming for, well done. If not, maybe you can think about bringing things 'up to date'.

It's a style-choice at the end of the day. For me, I prefer the more modern and cutting edge kind of imagery.

Some of my favorites

Now, as I scroll down I stumble across some really great stuff.

I'm fond of the 'Biolab', it's well composed and just cool. Again, it feels a little "gamey plastic" as you put it, but in this image I think that works. You can appreciate this picture, even without a fondness for that style.

I like your texture, and material testing. How much of that image is your own work? The meshes, reflections, textures, etc are all nice.. and most importantly the way everything 'comes together' is cool as well. I particularly like the reflection in the 'bowl'. The lighting also stands out

Up next?

Spongebob and The Trees! - These are two of my favorite pictures. They feel a little bit more 'up to date' to me. That's a style I can identify with. You have some real talent, and again the composition and general 'polish' of the images really help make them stand out.

--
--

Lastly, your most recent stuff.

The abandonia signatures. Cool stuff. They have a very strong 'retro' air surrounding them. Which I imagine was what you wanted.

For me, I think they might be a little too 'retro'. They are nice, colourful and well designed. However, they feel a little 'stale' or 'plain'.

Typography and logo work is very difficult, I suck at it. Hard.

What you have is a great foundation for a 'more complex' image, but for me at the moment they feel a little too 'plain'.

Remember, the 'images' of the past were limited by the technology that produced them. When designing retro images I suggest you place yourself 'inside' the head of a classic artists.

What would they be influenced by, what was popular at the time, what designs are there already out there similar to theirs?

Take all of that into consideration, create a 'retro' or 'vintage' image and then look for ways to improve it, and build on it. What might the artist have wanted to add, but wasn't able to?

I'd love to provide you with examples of what I mean, that I have made myself. I think somebody that has better eye for what I am trying to get across is Abandonia's very own Maikel.

Here, take a look at:

I think that site design, sums up what I mean.

It's a modern design, that is built upon a retro foundation.

Summing things up

Seems I am slowly getting back into my habbit of writing too much, too often. I just really like what I see here. I hope to see more from you soon.

I'd also like to know how you feel about the relationship between Modern and Classic design. Do they work together?

I'd like to see you take a shot at the unknown, and mix up something more 'modern' as well. Fancy it?

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 21-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
CrybKeeper
Game freak

You have a great eye Sean. Your favorites are my favorites and the very ones, I felt were my good works.

You are right about logos and we could include marquees and trademarks- all are difficult to create. Actually, everything you said was damn near perfect!

As for my modeling, light rigs and textures, I make everything myself using Adobe/DAZ and Autodesk softwares. After you spend so much money on the software, it is hard to purchase the community created content. I have purchased seamless textures before and their could be a few of them in some of my posted work, but 90% of what you see, is all original.

Oh no Sean- you keep on talking and making long posts. That way, I won't be the only one

What I would like to try is Maya Gold software and start animating these models. Most of what you see is fully poseable meshes.

As for modern art and early art and how they can work together. That is a very open ended question. It could be good or bad. Like with architecture, you can have a modern gothic look. I adore the gothic look and think it works very well with modern architecture.

Didn't I mention? I took 2 years of drafting/engineering. Actually, have taken every art class ever offered at a junior college level and aced them all.

I really appreciate all you have said Sean and Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

More 'plastique' art. Maybe this one is a bit more realistic looking though? The chipped paints are not textures in this, they are actually models and can be adjusted in more intricate manners.

Last edited by CrybKeeper; 21-07-2009 at 11:36 PM.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper
Old 21-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Heyas Crybb,

It's getting on a bit now, and I'm drained from all my wallpaper work today (the digital kind, not the decorating kind). Well, it could also be my running and weights I guess !

I'll write out a proper reply tomorrow, I just wanted to say I can't see your latest image.

Fix that. I want to see it, now!

Hehe

Catch you in the morning!

Scratch that is 00:35.

Catch you in a few hours!

Edit:.. now it works?

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 25-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Hmmm, image is there for me. jpg. hosted at my Photobucket account.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...ingmorn5fc.jpg
Old 25-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
Halindir
Home Sweet Abandonia

Nice =D!
Halindir is offline                         Send a private message to Halindir
Old 26-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
The chipped paints are not textures in this
o_o all those cracks and little lines on roof are actual models but not bump/parallax/relief mapping?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
o_o all those cracks and little lines on roof are actual models but not bump/parallax/relief mapping?
Yes R.u.s.s., they are actual models/meshes with a slight grainy bump when used in Bryce6. I also imported them into 3D Studio Max 7 as models(Booleans) and custom textures and gave them away to artists/modders at Simtropolis.com(SimCity4 Deluxe STEX CD1). Sorry, no longer have the file. Lost everything in a HDD failure, couple years back. I had them for sale at TurboSquid, at one time, but no one would buy my junk. LOL.

I did save the textures on CD though, so I can recreate that, if I have a mind to. Simple Lattice terrains can be given custom 3D bump maps in Bryce, which I like using alot. i simply create patterns with PSCS and import to a terrain, with varacious editing tools.

Thanks for enjoying my stuff everyone. These are free. Just click the link and copy the image, if you think you may be able to use them for anything. These are not photos. They are 3D meshes- cartoon stills.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpnttrim.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpaint5a.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpaint55.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpaint33.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpaint2a.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...erdpaint1a.jpg

Last edited by CrybKeeper; 08-08-2009 at 07:37 PM.