Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Default ISO reviews

If I were to do a review (with screenshots, box shots, manual PDF) etc of a game that is too big for Abandonia to host, but could be added to ISO celler, would that be a type of content that would be allowed?

In other words, it would look just like a regular review except that the "download" button would send you to the appropriate ISO celler page. Of course I would also supply the ISO and upload to a file sharing host like 4shared.

I did a couple abandonware games for the Games Preservation Project that would qualify. Has this been discussed already?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
red_avatar
Administrator

I personally think that Abandonia should continue having reviews of ESA protected games and also games they don't host - it shouldn't be just about downloading the games but also about the games themselves.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well there could be a problem with direct linking, since the iso cellar is not for public. (but i hope that will change in future)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
I personally think that Abandonia should continue having reviews of ESA protected games and also games they don't host - it shouldn't be just about downloading the games but also about the games themselves.
I agree, if the game has been abandoned it should be eligible, download or not.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
well there could be a problem with direct linking, since the iso cellar is not for public. (but i hope that will change in future)
Every year there will be fewer and fewer games that are small enough for Abandonia to host. I think the ISO cellar will have to be unrestricted to accomodate that eventually.

Either that or get enough bandwidth to host them here. Wouldn't it suck if 4shared dissappeared all of a sudden.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, there could be always a backup copy of 4shared images here on abandonia servers
Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

To the initial question:
Not in the near future, I would say.
You can of course do screenshots and write a review to add that
1) to Community Reviews
2) together with the game to the ISO Cellar itself, where the second post in the game's thread would be your review and screenshots, and where you can add any appropriate extras like manuals (with 4shared for example you can even give the game and the extras via one (1) link).

Last edited by Luchsen; 06-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Luchsen is offline                         Send a private message to Luchsen
Old 06-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Don't think I would want to add the extras to 4shared. We need to create the need to have to come to the Abandonia website. The community reviews are nice but they aren't given the same polish that regular reviews have.
Old 15-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Jerry123

I also think it would be great to have iso reviews, restricted access or not. Just leave out the download links for the time being - maybe that would work?
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123