Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: How high would you rate Issue 1?
0/5 stars 0 0%
1/5 stars 2 2.41%
2/5 stars 4 4.82%
3/5 stars 11 13.25%
4/5 stars 42 50.60%
5/5 stars 24 28.92%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #71
plobone
Lurker

Great I love it !!I dont know if you gona make a new issue (I ll check out later about that in the forum ) but it looks promising keep the good work!!!
plobone is offline                         Send a private message to plobone
Old 21-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #72
supa_mario
Abandonia nerd

Awesome :thumbs: Your'e all deserving of a virtual Hi-Five!

And I agree with the criticism about the quotes. Unless they are to highlight something incredibly awesome that will make the reader want to read the article. Don't use them.

Otherwise a great first issue.
supa_mario is offline                         Send a private message to supa_mario
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #73
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

Great stuff, guys.

:thumbs:
jfritzyb is offline                         Send a private message to jfritzyb
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #74
The Bloodhawk

Is the next one coming soon?
The Bloodhawk is offline                         Send a private message to The Bloodhawk
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #75
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodhawk View Post
Is the next one coming soon?
By the end of the year.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #76
Indepreneur

Love it! Want more! Heres some ideas for articles for ya.

How it all started with real-life ARPAnet developer and cave-explorer, William Crowther, who decided to make
Quote:
a re-creation in fantasy of my caving, and also would be a game for the kids, and perhaps some aspects of the Dungeons and Dragons that I had been playing.
Thus "Adventure" was born. The great-grand-daddy of them all!

King's Quest coverage. The original was fully and faithfully redone with enhanced graphics and sound by an amateur game designer. Something about her story would be interesting too as she went on to found her own inde game co after the huge success of her fan-made ramake.

I'd also like to see a section dedicated to those of us who have always fantasized about making something similar to our favorite classic game but thought it impossible [and it nearly was back then!]. Now there are an endless variety of ways we can do it for free and with very little effort. I recommend starting the section off with a nice little history of game-makers starting with the revolutionary Adventure Construction Set by Stuart Smith. I've found much better since then but nothing to match the feeling it gave me back then of being able to actually create my first game and really feel that I was only limited by my imagination!

Oh btw: There is an excellent remake of ACS called Adventure Creation Kit by Chris Hopkins. He created it in the 1990's but went back to it in recent years to provide some bug fixes and updates based on feedback when he realized there was still a few people interested in it. You can find those people in their own sub-forum at joltcountry bbs er... forums.

Although ACS was the first graphical game maker there were actually already text-adventure game design kits or languages before that. Now called Interactive Fiction or IF for short there is a fair-sized very active community of players/authors built up around the genre today and the IF development software has really become quite sophisticated as well far more user friendly. I would definitely include TADS3 and Inform 7 as the latest and greatest to evolve from that scene.

Then theres all the many modern RPG game makers that evolved from the graphical game maker represented by ACS. There were the Klick team game makers which are now very out of date but still could be fun for beginners or kids. The RPG Maker series by Enterbrain (not free), and many clones of it came out later that are open source.

There are really powerful but easy to use game authoring softwares that can not only make RPGs but can make pretty much any kind of game you want.

Game Maker by YoYo Games is probably the most popular and well known.

Express Game Maker is another popular one.

Construct may be counted along with those last two as one of the big three of todays virtually unlimited game making software with fully developed user friendly front end making programming optional.

The Game Creators dot com develops several different types of game making software including Dark Basic and FPS Creator.

For those seeking to use or learn programming to make games there are also great tools for getting started with that. Such as Flashpunk for programming flash based games. And XNA for programming games in C#. Pygames helps you get started programming games in Python. And there are tons of tutorials on creating games with Java using the friendly Eclipse IDE. I left out many many other options for the sake of space but those were the ones that really stand out.

GET OVER HERE!
Indepreneur is offline                         Send a private message to Indepreneur
Old 14-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #77
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

hey guys,

where would i put some constructive criticism about this project? not that there's a lot, but because it is quite... basement level...
i don't want to appear to anyone to be disparaging something that you all hold dearly and into which appear to put a lot of time, thought and effort. esp. not in public

my motivations are purely selfish, but i have been known to do great things in order to get the things i selfishly want (in this instance, a copy of a simant remake).

just so you know where we stand.

Last edited by Kelbert; 14-12-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: public / pubic... :/
Kelbert is offline                         Send a private message to Kelbert