Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #51
Saccade
[BANNED]

My Godson gets a new game like that every year off me.

I gave him my Warhammer 40k Eldar army. Then my Harlequin Eldar.
Then Adeptus Titanicus (rare Warhammer Epic boxed-set game).
Then Blood-bowl.
Then Space-Hulk and Hero-Quest. (With wizards expansion and the other add-on pack with the Halberd guys)

Him and all his mates (he works for Games Workshop) love them!

They haven't entirely died out mate! They just need to be, as you said, handed down a generation so that *they* can see how god-damn amazing these games are.

Nothing beats Go! for a strategy tabletop game, though. Even if it doesn't have an RPG element to it - unless you pretend you are the commander of the army of white or black stones...

Or should that be different colour stones..? Don't want to be un-PC. That'd be fecking outrageous!

You guys ever heard of some card games (a bit like Magic: The Gathering) called:
- Grass
- Nuclear War
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Global Thermo Nuclear War

They're all by the same people, I think. They're all RPG card games (like Magic) in that you play a drug dealer in Grass or a Commander in Chief of a Nuclear Armed Nation in the others.

Surprisingly.

I wish they'd made Civilisation multiplayer, turnbased. Like Chaos Overlords, VGA Planets, Scorched Earth et al...
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 19-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #52
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
I wish they'd made Civilisation multiplayer, turnbased. Like Chaos Overlords, VGA Planets, Scorched Earth et al...
Isn't CivNet what you are looking for? If I remember correctly, it's civilization MP I only played it once against a friend with a null cable

But maybe we are getting off-topic?

Let's continue talking about table-top RPGs!

The other day we At last finished an adventure we started in January or February. I long time friend of mine was DMing. It was great. And I realized that this month it's my 16th anniversary with RPGs
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 19-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #53
Ranthalion75
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Skype™ to Ranthalion75

Never heard of those card games. I have Magic, and love it. Just have a starter kit though.

As for passing things down.. I do it constantly. I'm a nostalgist. I've got tons of stuff from whe I was a kid, and enjoy the old things with my kids. My old C64 games, my old DOS games, Nintendo... blah blah blah. It's great.
Ranthalion75 is offline                         Send a private message to Ranthalion75
Old 19-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #54
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, if you're talking about RPG-ish card games, don't forget Netrunner.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #55
Saccade
[BANNED]

I just noticed your sig about my gonads, Fubb...

Didn't think anyone was online... :embarassed:
Maybe they were being Ninja like me?
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 22-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #56
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Thats for me too know, and you to never find out!

EDIT: Theres a program out there specifically designed for Table-Top gaming...on computers...called Vassal. only problem is, wel lthers not a ton of thingy's, well good things that is. There are games liek Dawn Patrol and Memoir 44, aswell as (woo hah) Warhammer 40k, but i dont have a warhammer 40k rule book, so i wouldn't know how to play, at ALL

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 14-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #57
cpt renault
Forum hobbit

So I'm seeing a lot of ADnD, Warhammer, Netrunner, things like that, but no 3.0 or later D&D. Is it that unpopular with this crowd, or is it just a really quiet group? I've always thought 3.5 was one of the better roleplaying games out there.
cpt renault is offline                         Send a private message to cpt renault
Old 14-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #58
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt renault View Post
So I'm seeing a lot of ADnD, Warhammer, Netrunner, things like that, but no 3.0 or later D&D. Is it that unpopular with this crowd, or is it just a really quiet group? I've always thought 3.5 was one of the better roleplaying games out there.
Them are fighting words, lady!

I played some 3.5, but I really prefer AD&D. Maybe because it was the game that I grew up with (), but the mood and style of AD&D is a lot different than the one from 3.5. But I think that those rules (the d20 system) was wonderfully adapted to Star Wars. I played the d6 system, but it always seemed like it was leaving out a lot of the universe. And it was, the d6 Star Wars was only good to play in the rebelion era and inmediately after the battle of Endor.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 14-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #59
cpt renault
Forum hobbit

Well, maybe you've got something there. I've never actually played AD&D, just seen some of the books. I certainly wasn't the slick, corporate role-playing game that Wizards made it into, I'll give it that. Hm. Maybe I should dig some of those books up and see if I'm wrong about this, heh.
And I have the d20 Star Wars, and though I never played the d6 version, I can imagine it wouldn't have been as fun. The group I play with sometimes does a Star Wars campaign instead of DnD, and I think it's a really well done game.

Last edited by cpt renault; 14-07-2009 at 11:25 PM.
cpt renault is offline                         Send a private message to cpt renault
Old 16-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #60
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

We had a crowd of Roleplayers back in the dorm, they began with AD&D, but when I joined, 3 (3.5 later on) was the new thing, so they tried it. I only played AD&D CRPGs, but still it was a little weird to get used to counting your AC upwards and not downwards. We played regurarly for two or three years, and we got used to the d20 system. As for SW, the d20 is a beautiful conversion indeed. I found it more interesting then the d6 version. And then just for curiosity, I read up D&D 4th Edition.. WTF WoW Pnp?? Seriously, that systems is just.. weird.