Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What is your oppinion on swearing and using vulgar words?
I swear, it's my right, so F*** yall who care! 20 44.44%
I don't swear, but I don't mind it 10 22.22%
Swearing is stupid, as are those who do it! 8 17.78%
I swear when in extreme pain or when very angry 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

This was inspired by a recent passing in the Shout Box. I'm just curious as to what people's oppinions are on curse words and swearing. I, personally, just think it is sad when people swear. It makes girls look trashy and unattractive, and it makes guys just look stupid. Most of the time people swear when they are at a loss for words, so instead of coming up with a witty comeback or saying something profound, they simply say "F*** You man! You're F'in dead!" Imagine how history would be different if Neil Armstrong had been at a loss for words? As opposed to "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," we would live by the famous words "Holy F*** this is cool!" But that's just my oppinion. Others?
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 07-03-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
FlightorFight

I'm with you, I was thinking about making a topic about this as well---from the Shoutbox.

Extreme lack of sophistication, swearing is.
FlightorFight is offline                         Send a private message to FlightorFight
Old 07-03-2005, 04:51 AM   #3
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I don't like hearing swearing too much, it shows to me about a lack of manners and or respect of the person, especially when people start throwing around the swears into everyday language and using the f-word for whatever they feel like using it as.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 07-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I think you're missing a few options in the poll, but I voted closest to how I felt.

Swearing excessively, as in using swear words as adjectives, adverbs, nouns, and verbs in any given sentence is ridiculous, and it does make people seem unintelligent and trashy.

Swearing unnecessarily, with no provocation, is also sketchy, but in a more gray area as long as it's infrequent. Personally, I don't mind it as long as it's not in an inappropriate context. Inappropriate, such as when there is someone around who would be offended (shoutbox).

However, I feel swearing serves a good purpose in expression. There's sometimes nothing better than a creatively constructed swear to express extreme emotion, and it's a much better method of getting it out than say, punching someone in the face.

Of course, I'm fond of the fact that there are different levels of swearing, and use those levels as appropriately as possible to express my feelings.

Unless I'm angry to the point of tears, you'll probably rarely hear me say the F word. Neither will you hear me say anything grossly vulgar.

But I do swear, and I am not uneducated, nor am I trashy. I am just able to more creatively express myself on a multitude of levels.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

I didn't say those who swear are trashy or uneducated, I'm saying it gives them that appearance...I think it brings down their character and image. Honestly, I don't look at a girl who just dropped the F-bomb and think "you know, there's a girl I want to get to know better." I also just think it is respectful, because you never know who is around that might become offended.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Sometimes, it's just best to swear. When somebody tries to engage you into a discussion and after accepting, doesn't listen to your arguments, uses the same invalid one over and over himself... then it's just best to say: "*meep* off, you're wasting my time!" Also, when you hit your thumb when putting a nail in the wall... would you trust anybody that doesn't go: "*meep*!" or "Godver!" or "Bloody!" or "Hell!", but goes: "This has severely hurt me and I am slightly annoyed at this fact." I sure don't. Cursing's human at certain points, and it shows strong character and personality if you do it at the right times. Cursing's something strong, and like all strong things, it should be used sparingly. If it's not used sparingly, it does make one look like having a lack of personality, as they seem like having to use one of the strongest utilities around to make one.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 07-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #7
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

ok, so maybe a mod should at the option "I swear when I'm in extreme pain or anger"
Old 07-03-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

I swear.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 07-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #9
JJXB
Pi-voh

as long as its not used to specifically get attention or seriously offend, i don't care if other people use swear words and i do swear as well
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 07-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Usings swears in a discussion or argument is indeed a sign of weakness! Using to express profound disliking for the fact that you just missed your plain, or your to blame your favourite deity for your current misfortune is allright imho.
On the other hand, it's always better to insult people without having to resort to swears
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup