Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #241
Japo
Autonomous human

That's interesting, I'm playing it right here right now and it has no problems whatsoever.
Old 29-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #242
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What Windows version and what build of DOSBox are you using? That might clue us on to what is going on.
If you made any changes to the config file, post it here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #243
Flash Ah ah

Damn, I entirely forgot about this...

DosBox: 0.74

Changes from 0.74 original config file (section with modified lines):

[cpu]
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[autoexec]
echo off
# Prepare PATH variable to access certain applications
PATH %PATH%;C:\DOS\XCOPY
# Mount the main hard drive
mount c d:\dos\c
c:
echo on

Old 29-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #244
Japo
Autonomous human

How fast do you mean by "blazingly"? I understood it would be unplayable. I've done some tests and this is what I experience:

- As you say the speed of the game seems to be fixed at startup. Changing the cycles afterwards has no effect. This is particular to this game.

- If I use high enough cycles, say 10,000, the game plays always at the same speed consistently. This speed may be faster than intended, but it's not so easy to say. It's very possible that if you ran this under real DOS in an old computer but quite less old than the game, you'd have the same speed. It's very playable, I just arrived the Death Tower on Expert.

- If I start the game with low cycles, for example the (default) 3,000, then as you say I get inconsistent behavior. Sometimes it's very very slow, sometimes as fast as with 10,000. It's random on each startup, and again you can't fiddle the speed afterwards changing the cycles, they have no effect.

- It makes no difference 10,000 or 50,000. Once I exceed a limit the game starts up consistently and plays at the same exact speed.

Last edited by Japo; 29-02-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 29-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #245
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you left the cycles and core on auto, that might be the cause.
Set cycles to a constant value, 12000 is a good place to start.
Auto core is supposed to change between normal and dynamic, set it to one of them (dynamic is faster, but if you have issues with it then switch to normal).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #246
Stuck!

Is it just me, or is jumping to an above platform not possible? Well it must be... but whenever I try to run and jump to an above platform I fall an inch short and just can't seem to make it. He doesn't even look particularly close to making it, just seems out of reach. This is leaving me stuck on the second level, at the start which looks like this (jumping from the middle ledge to the top):

.....|_______________

...................................___|

___________________Lift___|
.............................|....|
.............................|....|
....................._____|....|
.....................|_EG_____|

I watched a youtube run through and as far as I can tell I'm doing the same thing as in the video. Also noticed a bit on the video from the first level where he run and jumps to the ledge left of the guard leading up to the injured person, which I couldn't make, and the run and jump from just before the lift (on the above) to the ledge above which I also fall short of. It's just this one type of jump I can't seem to make.

Old 27-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #247
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That should be explained somewhere in the manual, but IIRC: start running, then let go of the directional button and hold the action button. The jump will be automatic.

-- Reed Richards
Old 27-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #248
Not so stuck...

Aha... I've got it now. Yeah I was pressing up at the end to jump but it is automatic. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #249
Ripperian
Forum hobbit

I finish this game today. Great feeling!

I just use help from a Let's play videos from youtube when I didn't know what to do. For example to find the final elevator platform who couldn't see.

Good game, although I like Another World a lot more.

Saludos!
Ripperian is offline                         Send a private message to Ripperian
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #250
SidneyB
Default Copy protection problem after Mission 2

For those of you having problems with the password protection following the teleporter after Mission 2, I had the same problem.

It turned out that after navigating to the .exe file and running the game through DOSBOX, I was running fb.exe.

The game runs okay, but the password request using the '+' sign on the number pad did not work after mission 2, leaving me stuck in the restricted area.

If however, I ran fb.com (in the same folder) instead of fb.exe, the password is accepted just fine, all the way through the game. Hope this helps.