Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #91
sagesag

experimental version with demo recording feature

i don't know why original game has no such feature: as the game is completely deterministic, demos can be recorded easily.

to test this feature, run 'awish.exe -goobers', then press ^d to start demo recording or ^m to replay previously recorded demo.

demo recording ends when prof dies or exits the level, or when ^d is pressed again.

p.s. maybe we should create a separate thread for this remake and stop noising here? i still don't want to register, heh. maybe moderator will split this thread in two: one with questions about original game and one with Awish: Avish Reborn! discussion?

Old 16-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #92
sagesag

sound format.

sound is actually just a headerless VOC file. the only blocks found in Avish sounds are of types 1 (actual sound) and 6 (repeat? seems that Avish ignores it anyway).

block format:
db datatype
block data size: 3 bytes (little-endian)
...block data

datatype 06: just skip it, nothing interesting here

datatype 01, actual sound data:
db 1
block data size: 3 bytes (little-endian)
db ratediv ; sample rate; to get sample rate in Hz, do this: samplerate=1000000/(256-ratediv)
block data:
first byte is always data format type; Avish uses only type 0: unsigned 8-bit, mono
then sound data follows.

that's all.

hereby i declare that i WILL NOT investigate music format. i've never programmed OPL and i don't want to read alot of dusty dox just to decode Avish music. my guess is that it's a simple tracker music with instruments in the beginning of the file. but i will not look further into this. if anybody wants to hear the original music in my remake, he can crack the format and send me working player in C. no, just description of the format will not work, i need working code that i can use with OPL3 emulator from AdPlug.

Old 25-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #93
sagesag

download beta0

yes, i reached beta! and now you have menu with free access to any level. all praise me!

additionally i provided all 'assembler' source of the game. don't read it unless you are extremely mentally stable.

Old 25-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #94
sagesag

and immidiately: beta1. sound should be better. added some information windows. demo save/reply (^d / ^m),

Old 26-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #95
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Are you saying I can record my gameplay in-game. In what format does it save the file?
Old 27-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #96
sagesag

it's an internal game format, not a video. small file (usually 50-300 bytes), that can be passed to another player and replayed with Awish. so this is not video-saving feature, it's more like old DooM demos.

btw, i have beta3 with fullscreen feature (alt+enter).

Old 24-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #97
Gonen

Hi Everyone!

I can't believe people are still playing this game, 20 years after it was first created.
More over, creating editors for it?!

I was one of the developers of the game (along with 3 more guys from high school), but can't really say I remember anything about the code from back then. The backup to the game code was lost during the years.

If you have some questions, I might give some help.
I can be contacted by email: dukasgon@netvision.net.il

Old 29-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #98
scott274

Was there ever a remake to this game or any sequel (Avish 2)!

Anyway, I'm replaying this game after many years.

On Level 09 - OCXAFU: It's not so hard...
There are two keys here, one on the left (top) is easy to get, but could it be possible to get the one on the right (top)
One thing I tried was placing the fan on the lower ledge and then "jumping-up-right" from the upper ledge...I figured that fan might blow me away to the slightly elevated trampoline-tile below and I might just make it up there....but unfortunately, the fan didn't affect me as I was falling down and I landed on the less elevated trampoline-tile, bounced a few times (one tile height short) and game-over
I forgot that the fan only affects you if you're falling down with an umbrella and there certainly seems to be no umbrella on the level.
And even if you get to the right-top-key...how to make it to the door....one idea I had was to use the three bombs and drop them down one by one and blow up the three concrete-tiles below in the way and then make my way down with the elevator. Dunno if this will work...never made it up there to try this.

Level 9 whole room screenshot (spoiler!)
http://imgbox.com/iwuMnQjB

Last edited by scott274; 29-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.
scott274 is offline                         Send a private message to scott274
Old 28-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #99
Nilex
Forum hobbit

Default Rediscovered the Game after 10+ years, sharing my thoughts

I am always fascinated reading original dev's thoughts and impressions after many years have passed. My respect for you guys posting here

Not sure how I discovered the game but I know it was during my heavy nostalgia trip back in '05-'06 when I also got very interested in the Indie scene.
Indie/Retro puzzle genre always stood out for me quality wise (still does), compared to quality of other genres in the newer times.

What I like about Avish is its simple and clear cut level design which is the sole but most important factor in dictating its difficulty. Everything is known from the start, it's only up to the player to though it through. The only errors you make are you own alone. And there will be many of those as the design is very smartly crafted in creating difficulty. I am pretty impressed to read the devs were teenagers when they made this little shiny gem.

Good games are good forever and that's why Avish stands the test of time in my book.

P.S.
Coming back to the game after more than 10 years I see I got as far as 47 levels looking at my old code list. Hehe, no time to waste - time to complete this bad boy
P.S.2
I'm archiving this whole topic just to preserve Dev's thoughts. Can't contain the nostalgia, ffs. (5k posts per page ftw!)

Last edited by Nilex; 28-10-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ps2
Nilex is offline                         Send a private message to Nilex
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #100
Nilex
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

Whichever of you little punks was responsible for this thing:

You magnificent bastard!

So many routes, dead ends and false leads. Best designed level by far (on 66 atm). So hellishly good that is easily finds a top10 place of best ever puzzles.
And i am no stranger to puzzles let me tell you. This was a work of a genius. Took me good 4 hours to solve. 2 one day and 2 more the next
Level after felt like a tutorial in comparison.

To reflect on my previous post:
I quickly remembered why I stopped on 47 over a decade ago. Level just felt like a combinatorial trial&error fest back then (a telltale sign of bad design). So I was intimidated starting at that particular place at first, without fresh knowledge of how things behaved and items interacted. But with age came experience and patience to tackle this problem. In the end it wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be, rather it's actually pretty smart level. Pretty sure my solution wasn't in designers plans though, muheheh.

My only single complaint about the game is elevator operation - same key for jumping and going up is painful. Made 64 a whole lot frustrating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	When Harry met Avish.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	2396  
Nilex is offline                         Send a private message to Nilex