Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Default Questions about Virtual Machine 2007 + Win98

I've been playing Ningyou Tsukai 2 on Virtual Machine 2007, but here's a few small issues I incurred into...

1) Japanese hydeograms won't show up, and are replaced by gibberish. Which is a pretty big issue, since I'm playing a Japanese game! I can't find a way to install Japanese symbols on this European version of Windows 98. Help?

2) The video would sometimes become completely black when I play the game. Judging by the audio, the game is actually still going on in the background, but I can't see a thing anymore!

3) Lag. Some specific character moves will make the game lag for some reason. Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Old 17-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Will have to say that you screwed up somewhere, as you don't give any relevant details how you installed - setup - fine tuned VPC2007/W98 I have no clue where it mangles.

I only can tell you I ran the game in VPC2007/W98SE and it runs without any glitch nor hickup.

So some general questions......

W98 or W98SE?
Installed VPC addtitions correctly?
Did you updated DirextX using the game's DX folder?
Did you uncheck D3D game's setup features as I told you?

Slowdowns: can be caused by anything that runs on the background on your PC and steals CPU power. No that VPC is utterly demanding, but it needs a lot of CPU clicks.

etcetera ... etcetera .... etcetera ...........
Did you followed Japo's how to for VPC correctly?

In stead of posting a pic of the playfield post a pic of the full VPC window running it, would at least tell me on what res you try to run that game and your W98 desktop res.

So much questions .... so much questions ..... and a lot more to come.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 17-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Ok, I tried to uninstall VM2007, download it again and re-install it.....

And I discovered something. Even though I'm sure I also deleted the Virtual Machines folder, as soon as I reinstalled VM2007 it remembered all the settings it had and even what virtual machine I had installed, as if I never uninstalled the program!!

Well this is freaking me out: that program NEVER UNINSTALLS FOR REAL. I went to regedit looking for the Virtual Machine folder, but nope... it's nowhere to be find!! Where does that program hide its stuff, so that I can never uninstall it?????????
Old 18-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
So much questions ....
And yet again, not a single answer ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Ok, I tried to uninstall VM2007, download it again and re-install it.....
Why ?
It's won't be VPC2007 that's mangled it's your own guest OS installation.

Anyway:
As far as uninstalling: google "uninstaller software win 7 64"
Also: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
be abit careful with that one, can dig deep into ya system ....
Also: rollback system to point before installing VPC ??? Win7 made a restore point.
Also ... ah whatever, you're hopeless .... ... I give up.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Yeah, the first thing I did was to roll back the system to before installing VM2007, but excuse me if I don't trust a program that requires me to do something big like that whenever I want to uninstall it.

I won't even mention how I am pretty sure that you mentioned rolling back the computer because you were sure I didn't know how to do that. I'm not sure wether you're here to help me, or you're here to show me how much you know about computers as if that was somehow a reason to look down on me.

Welp, looks like getting Ningyou Tsukai 2 to work messed up my computer. I think it's time for a complete system reboot before I just screw things up further.
Old 18-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

VPC has separate files for virtual machines (.vmc) and their virtual hard disks (.vhd). You may have deleted one but not the other. AFAIK these files are located somewhere below the user folder by default. Re-installing VPC was at any rate unnecessary, since "uninstalling" or deleting these files is independent. When VPC is uninstalled I think it will leave those files behind by default. Moreover they won't be affected by system restore, as they're user, not system, files.
Old 18-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
VPC has separate files for virtual machines (.vmc) and their virtual hard disks (.vhd). You may have deleted one but not the other. AFAIK these files are located somewhere below the user folder by default. Re-installing VPC was at any rate unnecessary, since "uninstalling" or deleting these files is independent. When VPC is uninstalled I think it will leave those files behind by default. Moreover they won't be affected by system restore, as they're user, not system, files.
Mmh, I see. I thought deleting the folder "Virtual Machines" was enough, but you're telling me one of those files was actually hidden somewhere else?

I've still got the reinstalled the VM2007, and still have to see if the game crashes at random again. If it does, at least I know how to get a complete uninstall, hopefully!
Old 20-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Ok, this is really REEEEAAALLY getting on my nerves now!!

I'm still trying to play Ningyou Tsyukai 2 on VM2007+Win98. Game launches, works like a charm, I can play through two-three battles with the only issue of some odd lag, when suddenly.... DIRECT DRAW ERROR. AGAIN.

This time it's happening right in the middle of the game!! What's worse, I actually installed the directx that came with the game inside the Windows 98 emulation along with the game. And it's still not working.

What is wrong with that goshdarn Direct Draw???!!!!
Old 20-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'll look into setting up VPC + W9x on my own system today and reproducing this issue.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 20-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I'll look into setting up VPC + W9x on my own system today and reproducing this issue.
Thanks!

I could just give up and play many other games, but it's pretty much become a matter of principle now.
Just play a couple rounds and the DirectDraw error is bound to happen for sure before you're halfway through the game. I noticed it always happens when it changes from one scene to another (say, from the battle to the continue screen, for example).