Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-12-2004, 03:09 AM   #1
ianirving

Ok i have DosBox installed and everything...and when i run the program it tells me I need to mount C: so i did that and it says "Usage MOUNT drive letter local directory. So a MOUNT c c:\windows mounts windows directory as the c: in DOSBOX" now my understand is that i can then access the c: and find my way around like normal dos...by when i try to change to c: it tells me that "drive c does not exist! and tells me that i have to mount it...which i already did...where am i going wrong? and once i can access c: how do i start a game?
ianirving is offline                         Send a private message to ianirving
Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Barrett

I got a similar problem, but i reckon i got a step further.
When u mount, u have to mount to where ure game is stored ie if ure game is stored in c:\games u would type the command "mount c c:\games" I done this but the games still dont work so im gonna try with the boot disk method if that dont work il see u back here.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
FreeFreddy

When you mount directories, they're counted in DosBox as drives. So if you mount like that: mount c c:/games/mdk, c:/games/mdk will be counted as drive c: in DosBox. Therefore you couldn't change then to the real drive c:'s root directory. For that you would need to mount like this: mount c c:/

Old 10-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
mika
Games Master

Guys, the easiest way to do it is to drag and drop the folder (where the game is situated) from explorer onto the Dosbox shortcut. This will automatically mount that folder as drive c.

[edit] Assuming of course that you're using Windows. I dunno about Linux. [/edit]
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 11-12-2004, 04:29 AM   #5
ianirving

Allright, through trial and error i have got DosBox working. For informations sake, what is the fundamental difference between DosBox and standard dos? and is there any way to get full screen?
ianirving is offline                         Send a private message to ianirving
Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
FreeFreddy

You can set full screen with ALT+Enter. Back to window the same.
And the difference between Dos and DosBox...
In DosBox you have to mount drives or directories first to be able to access them. In Dos this works a different way. You type c:\ for a drive there, and then just need to switch to different directories by typing cd XdirectoryX (the actual name of directory)
DosBox supports only some of the commands that are available in Dos. And DosBox emulates a 486 PC, so it's much, much slower compared to Dos if running on the same new, fast PC. And DosBox supports all default soundcard standards that were usual back then in Dos, and that under Windows XP, where Dos couldn't do that under Windows XP. And in Dos you needed drivers for the soundcards being installed first, where in DosBox you don't need anything additional. And you get always maximal conventional memory, while in Dos it was dependant on what drivers and programs you loaded in autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
Data
retired

yeps. Some more issues. Ems is getting harder and harder as certain motherboard makers but stuff in reserved memory.
Dosbox can always provide ems memory.

Some game uses very lowlevel hardware calls and certain cpu tricks. Not possible under winxp. Under dosbox no problem.
Tandy/hercules/cga/VESA graphics under winxp isn't that easy. Dosbox handles it without problems.
Games can run too fast and some are hard to slow down. Dosbox is in total control of the speed.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
ianirving

allright i can see the difference now... just for curiosities sake i ran the game mechwar in standard dos...my mech could run across the entire map in 2 seconds haha, but the speed was fine in DosBox...but im having an opposite problem with the game Indianapolis 500...it runs rediculously slow no matter which Dos i use. but thats not too big of a deal....thanks for the support guys!