Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #101
Mecron
Abandonia nerd

Oh and the new remake of the orginal opening game trailer is out and about on the web! :help:
Mecron is offline                         Send a private message to Mecron
Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #102
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thanks for the heads up.

for those who do not like to browse this thread.

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/sots.shtml
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #103
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well I watched the new trailer last night.

Is there something wrong with the colours? They seem washed out and the graphics seem to be of a different quality (not better) than from the screenshots.

I prefer it as a trailer from the last one. I like the voice of the narrator, she sounds very familiar but I can't pin point how. For some reason I have the word dune in my mind. Whatever, great choice for a narrator.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #104
Mecron
Abandonia nerd

The narrator is Arinn Dembo. She has done voice work in cataclysm as well.

As for the colors and image quality, I suppose it depends a bit on compression and what you are watching it on. The game footage is recorded and then converted so there is going to be a little loss of detail in that process.
Old 29-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #105
Mecron
Abandonia nerd

for anyone looking for a nicely detailed preview there is one going on at talk strat right now :bye:

http://www.talkstrategy.com/
Old 29-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #106
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Getting even more excited.
Can't wait till this is finally out, I've been very pleased by what I've seen from the trailers and previews.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #107
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Mar 28 2006, 06:24 AM
SOTS is the game I hope will provide me with the 4X fix since unfortunately Galactic Civilizations II do not do it for me for some strange reason.
Do you mind if I ask what about GCII didnt do it for you? Ive been reading some reviews for it and they seem to be very good overall. Im thinking about picking it up soon since 4X games are some of my all time favorites.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #108
Mecron
Abandonia nerd

Not to answer for Eft, but from a design standpoint SotS is meant to get away from the GC2 spreadsheet/dry combat presentation thing. I can see people being very happy with both titles but in general SotS was meant as an exploration of the more visceral 4X experience since GC does what it does very well and to be honest, that style has been done to death by other entries in the genre for the past decade.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #109
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Mecron@May 3 2006, 08:17 PM
Not to answer for Eft, but from a design standpoint SotS is meant to get away from the GC2 spreadsheet/dry combat presentation thing.
Yeah I have read GCII lacks pretty much any bit of tactical combat. I havent played it yet so I could be wrong but I believe combat is decided with pretty much dice rolls of stats between ships and you cant even pick what ships in a fleet you wish to target.

If thats true then that would indeed be some dry combat IMHO as well, no matter how pretty it looks. Though I think I could understand doing that form a A.I standpoint since making a A.I that could beat humans in Tactical combat would have been much more difficult from simple dice rolls.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #110
Mecron
Abandonia nerd

certainly its not secret that the more choices you have tactically and strategically the harder it is for an AI to keep up. SotS has a great, dynamic AI but I will be the first to say that there is nothing like another human to give you an ugly surprise or two. Luckily SotS gives you full multiplayer and makes it easy to join and leave games on the fly as well as just resuming an MP match later.