Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk
Default Getting started with oldschool CRPGs

Yo AB!

I must admit, that old CRPGs such as the Bard's Tale series or the AD&D Goldbox games always fascinated me, but I never got too far in any of these due to the lack of a proper manual and their grueling difficulty compared to what qualifies as an RPG nowadays. So, my question for now would be:

Which CRPG from olden times would you recommend for starters?

Last edited by Tomekk; 03-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Umm... It depends on how deep you want to go, and how user-friendly game you expect.

Speaking on above, Bard's Tale and Might and Magic are quite user-friendly series, if you are ready to draw endless mazes and remember some (not very much) spells. Dungeon Master seems in the same vein, but I am not sure, I didn't play it. Unlike Wizardry that totally not recommended, as it have a lot of everything, from loot to class synergy and special spells.

On the other hand, if you are want more eye-candy, you can skip year or two, and went right to 1990-91, where choices are multiple:

- Dark Spyre - simple but addictive dungeon crawler with a lot of options. Funny, but this type of gameplay after start of 90s on PC was repeated first time only in Diablo - and with heavy weighted to loot and random gameplay, it became totally different.

- Ideas of Dark Spyre was developed in two more Event Horizon games: Dusk of the Gods and The Summoning. Both are "puzzle-dungeons", similar to Dark Spyre, but more advanced and with heavier plot. Unfortunately, third game with the same engine, Veil of Darkness failed to get my attention. It's too plot-related, and too unforgiven for errors. Not my thing.

- The Legacy. Interesting horror-RPG hybrid, but demanding sometimes in action sequences.

Hmm, actually, in this time frame I cannot found nothing more. Well, there is always Nethack and Rogue, and I heard that all Ultimas are great... but I never tried any.

Well, after checking Moby, I can name several more, but they are somewhat not exactly what you need:

- Dark Heart of Uukrul. Spell reference is heavy needed, but you have automap!

- Darklands. Again, heavy depends on manual, but intuitive in many other places.

- HeroQuest. It's more strategy than RPG. Fun, but different.

Hmm, that's all for me. More fun games in later years though.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I was hoping to start off with something more user-friendly at first, yeah... Pool of Radiance totally wasn't that, especially after I apprehended a pickpocket in a bar and got sandwiched inside a 20v20 fight between the tavern-goers just case.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

I actually enjoyed Wizardry, during the time I wrote a review for it - that is, Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. Major distracting factors: Poor graphics, no saving, no checkpoints, (think of Diablo 1 or 2), lack of music. Otherwise it plays quite well, and, dude, it's the father (or mother) of most RPGs! It worths a try, at least.
I also recommend Eye of the Beholder, it has nice graphics, nice music, user-friendly interface, and a quite good combat system.
Nethack: Definitely recommended, maybe with a graphics engine - it has it's own vibe and the user interface is not friendly, but there are quite good remakes. Look for Roguelikes.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
I was hoping to start off with something more user-friendly at first, yeah... Pool of Radiance totally wasn't that, especially after I apprehended a pickpocket in a bar and got sandwiched inside a 20v20 fight between the tavern-goers just case.
Aha, did you notice that I didn't mentioned any Goldbox games? That's because of that. They can be fun, but lack of interface (check paragraph 3 for description of encounter) and frendliness (see this window with 5x5 color squares? It's your overhead map!) scares me every time. "My" games are more friendly. If they haven't something, gameplay doesn't need it (except some manual fiddling here and there to understand what's happening, maybe, and almost unevitable hand-drawn maps).
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/48...d+Of+Xeen.html

is very user-friendly and quite easy to get into
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

The first Lands of Lore is pretty user-friendly, that is, not as complex as some other RPGs. Though it would be more of an exception. Classic RPGs usually are complex, that's what made them so interesting.
Also Al Qadim might be on the user-friendly side, it appeared to me simple enough though I never played it past the beginning.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, if going beyond 1992, there are lot of options. I am in Lands of Lore, for example, too. But is it still counts "classic"?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Panthro
Man of Science

Anyone suggested the early Ultima games yet? They're relatively easy to get into, since there's not a lot of stats/skills etc. to learn and fairly simple systems and combat.

Also, Quest for Glory. It's a great bridging point between adventure games and RPGs.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
Anyone suggested the early Ultima games yet? They're relatively easy to get into, since there's not a lot of stats/skills etc. to learn and fairly simple systems and combat.

Also, Quest for Glory. It's a great bridging point between adventure games and RPGs.
It seems that you have sort of misunderstood Tomekk - which can be attributed to the fact that most of you might not know he's actually an experienced RPG player, pen-and-paper and CRPGs alike - it's just that he wants to play hardcore RPGs, and looks for the easiest among them. Not a beginner of RPGs, only of hardcore stuff. Tomekk, correct me if I am wrong, and sorry for answering instead of you.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker