Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Looking around this forum, I've seen references to different game creation studios, such as SCI, AGI, and AGS, etc.

What do you think would be the best for me to try out for a first attempt?

I write well, have some artistic skill, am fairly adept with programming, especially algorithm design and semantics, so I can learn languages somewhat quickly as long as I have the language syntax references.

Please don't just say something like: ASG!!! k: k: k:

Tell me your thoughts as to why, so I am better informed
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 23-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

I don't know much about programming. But if you need help about using the various graphic programs on the globe to create your graphics you can ask me
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 23-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Maikel@Jan 23 2005, 10:19 PM
But if you need help about using the various graphic programs on the globe to create your graphics you can ask me
Thanks

Once I figure out where to start, I probably will k:

Right now, I have pretty much all of the Adobe suite (licensed, go me!), but I don't know how to go about creating sprites or pixel art, or what programs I should use to do so.
Old 23-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Algorithm design? That's my weak point Anyways, AGI and AGS're the easiest ones. They're fairly straight-forward when it comes to design: Create backgrounds (for AGI under a special drawing program for it, under AGS, you can use other tools too), create animations, music and combine them all in the studio, while coding them. I don't know much 'bout AGS' programming language, but I know that AGI uses a step-in for a step-in of C++ (that other step-in being SCI, which's like AGI, but with better graphics and the point'n click/pop-up parser). The learning curve of these languages is from a day up to a week, depending on how well you learn. I know AGI's best learned through looking at other people's sourcecode and reading the elaborate help-file. Same goes for SCI.

Outside these three, which're more for making adventure games (AGI and SCI for older and newer Sierra-style, AGS for Lucasarts-style), there's also RPG Maker. Haven't really used these myself, but they seem to be pretty straight-forward as well with an easy-to-learn language (at least I assume it uses a language, and seeing the amount of games made in it, and the range of people who can make games in it, I'd say it's easy to learn). RPG Maker's mostly for making console-style RPGs (kinda like Final Fantasy 6 and the likes)

If you're looking for something more advanced, you got the Wintermute Engine, which has a free version and a commercial version, and Visionaire, which has a free and a full version, it seems. These allow you to make adventure games in 3D, as well as cartoonish games. These require more graphical abilities, but the coding seems to be reasonable too. Haven't tried them out yet (found out 'bout them yesterday), but the coding seems to be made into a GUI, implemented in the objects.

Beside these, there're the professional ones. BlitzBasic, DarkBasic, Blender and the likes. BlitzBasic and DarkBasic're said to be fairly simple to use (don't know it myself), but there're only demo- and trialversions available, the full versions being fairly expensive for somebody who's not planning to sell games with it ($80 and up). They do allow any style of game whatsoever (of course, for a text adventure, you're better off learning C++ than spending money on those )
Blender's a 3D modeling program that allows you to make games with, too. It's only for quite advanced people, but it's powerful and free.

Aside from these, there're still loads and loads of other gamemaking programs, like Game Maker (which I don't really recommend... might be good, but learning its language's not that simple, and it won't help you understand any other programming language whatsoever, so aside from Game Maker scripting, it'd be a wasted effort)
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 24-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
taikara
Abandonia Homie

*overwhelmed*
Old 24-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #6
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Uhmm... too much at once? I can always cut it down into smaller parts, with links and all that fancy stuff if that'd help...
Old 24-01-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I guess I'm still not certain which system would be the best to try for a beginner, even though I do have programming skills.

To elaborate on what I'm interested in doing, and maybe you can help point me in the best direction for the concept:

RPG
Somewhat elaborate in story, but hopefully not too overwhelming to produce.

Several races involved, and I want to showcase their racial uniqueness artistically, if possible.

Several unique "areas," explorable. (e.g. - desert, mountain, town)

One main character, but interesting supporting characters.

Preferably no fighting system, if I can get around it, I want the completion to rely mostly on ingenuity, but I think it would be interesting to program, so either way.

Mostly, I'm looking for something that I can do most of the above, without making it so overwhelming to work on that I feel like giving up.

Creatively flexible, I guess, but still somewhat simple to use?

Old 24-01-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

An RPG without a fighting system... that would make an adventure game, no?
Old 24-01-2005, 02:59 AM   #9
taikara
Abandonia Homie

hmm...

I guess you're right

I think it's backwards in my mind. For me, "adventure" implies action, and thus fighting. "Role-playing" implies thinking, and thus problem-solving.

Sorry for the confusion...
Old 24-01-2005, 03:06 AM   #10
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

No battlesystem excludes RPG Maker. From there on... it depends on a few things.

1) Which style you want to maintain? (LucasArts style, Sierra style or freestyle?)
2) What exactly's your programming knowledge and experience up till now?
3) Would you care about restrictions in graphics, and would you want them to be 3D, 3D-ish or cartoon-style?