Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
adreamer

I'm pretty new to this site and downloading these games. I've seen lots of games that I would love to download, but it says it is protected by the ESA. From what it says you have to contact the company that made the game to download it., I guess. I have a couple of questions about that. One, Sierra isnt on the list of companies and I would like to download a few Sierra games. Two, How would I go about contacting these companies so I could download their game?

Would anyone be willing to answer these questions and describe what ESA is all about it? That would be great, 'cause I'm very confused about this. :crazy: Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask about this, but I didnt know where else to post this.
adreamer is offline                         Send a private message to adreamer
Old 06-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

ESA is a corporation paid by the developpers they represent so they police the internet to make sure no pirate version of their games is available freely on the Internet.

If a game is ESA protected, that mean that the developpers are paying so nobody can download them from the net. This mean that if a Sierra game is ESA protected, then Sierra is under ESA juridiction.

Don't contact them to ask where you can download their protected games, they'll either not reply or feel insulted. Chance are that they are still selling that game at a stupidly high price. It's still available tough, so it goes against the abandonware rules to make it available for download. The main goal of abandonware is to make sure old games don't just disapear or get forgotten, so having companies still selling their old games is a good thing from our point of view.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by adreamer@Mar 6 2006, 05:38 AM
One, Sierra isnt on the list of companies...
It is. Sierra was bought out by Vivendi a while ago.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 06-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You might want to check stickies in the Requests forum, I remember one has links to various online stores which tend to carry old games.

And hey, congratulations for asking. It's rare we see a new guy (gal?) ask about ESA this politely.
Usually they post ...things... like "ESA SUXXORZ!!! WHERE DO U DOWNDLOAD THIS GAME???!!! ONEONEONE111!!!".
You have a reason to be proud you're not like the majority .

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 6 2006, 06:47 PM
"ESA SUXXORZ!!! WHERE DO U DOWNDLOAD THIS GAME???!!! ONEONEONE111!!!"
You left out the smiley there...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 06-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Danny252
I have a custom title!

And the SOS and angry rambling guy.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Quote:
Originally posted by adreamer@Mar 6 2006, 06:38 AM
I'm pretty new to this site and downloading these games. I've seen lots of games that I would love to download, but it says it is protected by the ESA. From what it says you have to contact the company that made the game to download it., I guess. I have a couple of questions about that. One, Sierra isnt on the list of companies and I would like to download a few Sierra games. Two, How would I go about contacting these companies so I could download their game?

Would anyone be willing to answer these questions and describe what ESA is all about it? That would be great, 'cause I'm very confused about this. :crazy: Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask about this, but I didnt know where else to post this.
Hello there and welcome to our community.

Usualy CD Access (online-store) has copies left, OR the developers themselves have for sale.

Abandonia is NOT about getting games for free.. it's preserving the games.
We will never charge any for of fee for any of the games we host, as they are not ours, and that would be stealing.

ESA is both our friend and enemy, depending on how you look at them.
Last time we where contacted by them, they where actualy realy nice in the tone, and no threating was ever mentioned, so they are humans also

Your best shot for the sierra-games is to try and find some collection, as games of a sertain serie tends to be released in a box with the entire collection.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Master MC
Hero Gamer

Slightly offtopic...
Would ESA appreciate me telling on sites who host their games illegally?
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 11-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Yeah I like the ESA idea it is fare enough and I rekon we should help them.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Mar 6 2006, 06:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Mar 6 2006, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-the_fifth_horseman@Mar 6 2006, 06:47 PM
"ESA SUXXORZ!!! WHERE DO U DOWNDLOAD THIS GAME???!!! ONEONEONE111!!!"
You left out the smiley there... [/b][/quote]
Pff you forgot the eleven after or in between the one's
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Closed Thread