Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
dosraider
Dismembered.

Thumbs down Behold, the future of PC games ....... :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY

No further comment.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

It's rarely a product made out of love today, from freaks for freaks, as was used to be said back in the mid 90's. It's a business investment today and the game has to bring money which is all the criteria the games are made upon - better graphics, bigger games. There're rarely cases when game can be created as desired with fun and creativity, without time pressure and restraints from "above", so the result is thinned out content.
Well, the genre of video games has been chewed upon for many, many years after all. The high period was the beginning and middle of 90's. Earlier or later ideas start to run out, but the games are simply too profitable still to let go, so same and same ideas are being pulled out again and again from you-know-where to suck out that last bit of profit out of them that's still there.

Best and sad example is Arcannia - A Gothic Tale or also called Gothic 4 which has pretty much nothing to do with the previous games of the series, which was the tombstone put on them.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Lets not forget this game isnt a PC only thing...its on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Shooters tend to have dumbed down first missions...in this case it's over the top. Lets not forget that some of the best games ever have come out recently, Fallout 3 (wether you like the story or not it's still an epic game), Bioshock, and Far Cry 2. While these games have faults some greater then others the ideas behind the games are insane, pressure to get the game out has lost the gamers these great ideas.

Such as Far Cry 2, orginaly the idea was that the enviroment would be your ally or enemy, using animals and setting the grass on fire would all help you win the game. The buildings were going to be wreckable, and if you wrecked a town it would take awhile before the soldiers would start rebuilding the lean-too buildings.

This Call of Duty game, (Come on we all know it's only called Call of Duty to increase sales) is more about multi-player, they tacked on a single player campaign to appease the higher ups. And like all tacked on things it's bad...buggy, with stupid AI..who needs good AI when you are playing online against other humans.

On the last note I will say this, DONT BLAME CONSOLES FOR CRUDDY PC GAMES. Blame developers trying to appease to many markets and falling flat on their face, it can be done right..but normally isn't. Also blame excutives for pushing games to be out by certain deadlines, that the game just can't handle.....your fanbase won't mind to much if you need to delay for a couple of months to tweak your game some. They will mind if they buy it on release day and you have already had to patch your damn game due to bugs. That stinks of not having a good or long enouth Beta stage.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 23-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
scorpionr95

I've been seeing that a lot these days. It's all about great graphics and multiplayer support. If a game is targeted for multiplayer game play, why add a useless and/or repeating campaign?
The question is a trick, there is no reasonable advantage to that except complaining fans.

Who am I to judge their sanity? And who are they to judge my insanity?
--Me
scorpionr95 is offline                         Send a private message to scorpionr95
Old 23-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

My god. Kill that abomination... kill it with fire!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Aramazon
Abandonia nerd

That's actually so sad...I don't know what developers are thinking, "Let's make a game that plays itself!" Kind of makes me think of "lords of the realm 3"...cause you know that was a good idea, right?

Also kind of reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy"...we're just heading towards a dumbed down existence...user friendly is just another term for "we do everything for you" these days. Just look at the operating systems now adays...you get asked like a million times if you're SURE you want to delete a file or do this or that. Don't go into program files...you could mess up your computer!!

Even in high school...everyone just used calculators all the time, drove me nuts...I was like damn it, use your brain. And I'm talking about simple math here.

When I put my textbooks up for sale at a used book store I was going to sell it for 40 bucks and the girl pulled out a calculator and was like okay you get 75% so that's....hold on...and she used the calculator........she had just mentioned she was in 4th year university. Just thinking about that makes me want to yell in anger at the world!! 30 bucks damn it...
Aramazon is offline                         Send a private message to Aramazon
Old 25-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Age of Decadence

The Broken Hourglass

Bellatorus Deluxe

Academagia

Solium Infernum

...and many more. The fact that these recent or in-development PC titles of quality don't get publicity doesn't mean they don't exist. Just as you might think the only restaurants in every city in your country are fast food joints if you simply check commercials and ads, so the gaming industry's publicity makes it appear that there are simply Huge Pretty Titles on the market.

But it's not true. Research.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramazon View Post
That's actually so sad...I don't know what developers are thinking, "Let's make a game that plays itself!" Kind of makes me think of "lords of the realm 3"...cause you know that was a good idea, right?

Also kind of reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy"...we're just heading towards a dumbed down existence...user friendly is just another term for "we do everything for you" these days. Just look at the operating systems now adays...you get asked like a million times if you're SURE you want to delete a file or do this or that. Don't go into program files...you could mess up your computer!!

Even in high school...everyone just used calculators all the time, drove me nuts...I was like damn it, use your brain. And I'm talking about simple math here.

When I put my textbooks up for sale at a used book store I was going to sell it for 40 bucks and the girl pulled out a calculator and was like okay you get 75% so that's....hold on...and she used the calculator........she had just mentioned she was in 4th year university. Just thinking about that makes me want to yell in anger at the world!! 30 bucks damn it...
It's the way society works these days ... people are using the technology to do the "thinking" for them. They also just accept what the press feeds them although most of it is at least partially incorrect ... It's a dangerous attitude, one where people stop relying on themselves but completely focus on other sources for information, opinions, etc.

What happens, is that you get the same symptoms all over the world: you strongly split people between different information sources. Because of how strong the media presence is today and the lack of criticism, media can create big divided communities which worked fine together before.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

What the hell? The AI teammates in CoD actually do something!? All my life, I thought your AI buddies were just for show. In fact the only games I know where your AI buddies can do stuff without your help (except of course, when you're the squad leader) is Operation Flashpoint. More than once I've seen my AI teammates finish a mission without me firing a single shot.

Also, how the hell did a video showing the AI complete a mission turn into a argument about the dumbing-down of society?

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Because the player doesn't have to do a damn thing. It's supposed to be a game, not a movie, remember?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman