Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Night Master

Arrow Something to play with GF?

I'm dating a pretty awesome lady who loved to play Full Throttle and some other point 'n click games;
besides, she loves all the Silent Hill franchise.

I was wondering if you guys'd have a suggestion of anything alike we could play together.
I got to warn you her English is not that good (yeah, we're from Brazil), so don't go suggesting anything like Planescape: Torment, hahah.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Night Master is offline                         Send a private message to Night Master
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Well if she liked Full Throttle, it's safe to bet she will like most LucasArts adventure games, such as Grim Fandango and the Monkey Island games, you might want to try other adventure games like the first two Broken Swords or the Gabriel Knight games. Adventure games are general wordy, but I think people with limited English still enjoy them thanks to the rich setting and characters.

As for Silent Hill, the series takes itself more seriously than most other games in the genre, so other survival horror games might not be such a wise choice (including Fatal Frame and Resident Evil series). There's a good alternative in Clock Tower games, but they were not released for the PC. The games I have played on PC and have captured best the Silent Hill charm are probably the first Max Payne (not a horror title) and the two Ties that Bind games, but these are action oriented so rather uninteresting to play in two.

Also I might throw in some modern adventure game suggestions... Everyone should play The Book of Unwritten Tales, it is better than most old classics. For something more darkish, you can try the Black Mirror series, especially parts 2 and 3, which are excellent.
Old 13-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Night Master

I'm going to give this "Book of Unwritten Tales" a shot; since our next date is only on this weekend,
I might have some time to experiment it, hahah.

I had thought about Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy,
but there's way too much dialogue for me to translate...

Anything else you want to suggest?

Obs.: What about those Indiana Jones point n' click? Worth a try?
Night Master is offline                         Send a private message to Night Master
Old 13-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

When you've said "together" I thought about 2 player games...
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 13-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Obs.: What about those Indiana Jones point n' click? Worth a try?
Yes, under the same heading of "LucasArts adventure games". Fate of Atlantis is somewhat better than Last Crusade, mind you.

For a slightly simpler gameplay with less dialogue, you might try Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures and Yoda Stories. The puzzles are mostly item-based there.

For horror... System Shock, maybe?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Fate of Atlantis is somewhat better than Last Crusade, mind you.
HERESSSYYY!!
Atlantis is good, though
Old 15-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Maxaxle

Right off the bat, I was thinking something co-op, but now that you mention point-and-click I'm having trouble with thinking of something. I know of a few good co-op games:
-Half-Life (when you load up the singleplayer maps in a multiplayer server)
-Sven Coop (a Half-Life cooperative mod with plenty of other mods involved. Plenty of horror-based mods, but keep the number of players very low if you want to actually be scared.)
-TF2 (Mann VS Machine mode, specifically.)
-Left 4 Dead and L4D2 (do I really need to explain this?)
-Counter-Strike and its derivatives (because playing against bots is fun)
-Minecraft (assuming everyone doesn't just kill each other. The beauty of Minecraft is that there are a billion different clones, and you can't throw a cube of dirt without hitting ten of them.)
-Alien Swarm (IIRC it's free if you own any Source-engined game, and it's generally amazing. Too bad the top-down perspective ruins any possible horror elements.)
-Quake and its assorted mods (you probably already know all about Quake, where you can get it, what it could cost, etc, etc. I personally liked the Twisted Xmas map/mod.)
-Killing Floor (the quintessential "shoot horrible things to survive each round" game, not for little kids but also not for hardcore horror gamers who aren't scared by anything.)
-Any given GTA multiplayer mod (although the multiplayer mods for GTA3 and GTA Vice City are essentally dead, you can have a lot of fun in the GTA San Andreas multiplayer mods; there are two competing mods, and I personally prefer Multi Theft Auto for its extremely polished feel. Just try not to join "play" or "sandbox" servers, those tend to be filled with psychopaths and sociopaths.)
-Egoboo (not scary by any means, but an amazing game in both co-op and singleplayer modes; free and open-source, but the graphics may be a little lacking if you're used to Crysis 2 or Skyrim. Just go get it, it has a Sourceforge page!)
-Cube and its derivatives (because it's free, open-source, a lot of fun, and will run at 60 FPS on a toaster)
-Counter-Strike 2D and its derivatives (sounds bad, plays well. Free, probably open-source, and will run at 60 FPS on a toaster.)
-Subvein (a teambased top-down shooter with weapons, vehicles, and abilities like crazy. IIRC there's at least one cooperative mode. Free open-source, and plays sort of like GTA 2 without the traffic.)
-Marathon Infinity (ever heard of Marathon, the FPS that came before Halo? Well now you have, and now it's free and open-source. Marathon Infinity is basically Marathon and Durandal packed together with multiplayer goodness.)
-Shoot First (Rogue meets top-down-shooter meets cooperative gameplay meets monochrome monitors. Free, open-source, and will run fairly decently on a toaster, but try not to crowd the keyboard.)
-Mari0 (not to be confused with the classic platformer, Mari0 is a clone of the classic platformer that involves the Portal Gun and does co-op nicely. Free, open-source, and will run well on a toaster, but don't crowd the keyboard.)
-FOnline 2 (Fallout/Fallout 2 multiplayer mod. Other players will generally ignore you, but with some luck you can find someone who will help you; the only problem is meeting up at the same areas without being mangled by random encounters. You loose all of your inventory items when you die, and it takes awhile to respawn, but you keep your skills, XP, and traits.)

I've also got some point-and-click recommendations for you:
-Brain Hotel and the Nick Bounty games (flash games by this one guy, goes by something crustacean-based for his company name. All of his games can be downloaded for free off of his website.)
-Out Of Order (if you have trouble finding it, just grab "Game Downloader 3.9")
-That one free episode of Sam and Max, "Abe Lincoln Must Die!". (I don't think I need to explain why.)

Last edited by Maxaxle; 15-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Maxaxle is offline                         Send a private message to Maxaxle