Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.2/feat/

Okay, I did not read the article fully, just skimmed through it quickly. I remember many, many years ago when I played DOOM 2, I would get dizzy after a while. Heck, even my older brother, who did not play the game himself, but just merely watched me playing, would also get headache after just about 30 minutes or so.

Same thing happens when I play Clive Barker's Undying (demo only, I don't have the full game, though I quite like it but I will always get headache after playing) and Arx Fatalis (again only the demo, I can still buy the full game in local gamestores, but feel rather reluctant because of this headache). Star Trek: Elite Force is slightly bearable for me, I managed to finish the game (had to cheat against the final boss, because it was too tough for me ). Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and Star Wars: Jedi Academy, well, they are 3rd person by default, with 1st person look as an option, so no problem at all with them.

For oldies/abandonware, I got dizzy trying to play Menzoberranzan and Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. Hence, I much prefer tile-based (step-by-step or frame-by-frame movement) counterparts such as Anvil of Dawn and Lands of Lore 1.

Someone in a certain forum suggested to take a lot of caffeine to prevent the condition. I feel reluctant to take this advice, though, since I don't think taking a lot of caffeine is healthy.

The suggestion in the article on the link above is to switch to software acceleration, but most games don't have that option in their option menu as far as I recall, unless what he actually means is to turn off hardware acceleration in the Display Properties.

Anyway, does this simulator sickness thing happen to you as well?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 15-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Quote:
Anyway, does this simulator sickness thing happen to you as well?[/b]
It happened to me a year ago, when I was playing Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX. Every time I tried to play it, I got a headache. I've stopped some time from playing it, and then I've started again three weeks later. Strangely, I didn't experience that sickness anymore.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 15-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

This did once happen to me when playing Operation Flashpoint, and it's pretty horrible, but I've gotten over it now and I can play it properly again.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 15-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've never played so many FPS, but I remember how bad was for my senses playing a 007 FPS (I don't remember the title) and had some problems in playing for the first time to Unreal.
Old 15-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
plague
Abandonia nerd

When I start to feel uncomfortable while playing I just take a short brake or call it a day for playing videogames.
plague is offline                         Send a private message to plague
Old 15-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Descent had a buddy of mine, after a marathon 4 hours play time, actually hearing voices in the room that weren't there.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 15-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
Himmler
Trollmaster General

i don't get side effects, you're all weird
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 15-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

me niether, i have played lots of FPSes and other games but i never head headache or something
Old 15-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I usually play games when I am sick. Never made me sick...
Old 15-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
Scatty
Treasure hunter

The only 2 FPS / 3D games at all that ever caused me feeling little dizzy were Wolfenstein 3D and Ken's Labyrinth (the original, not OpenGL version) as they were so relative simply designed and the graphics were pretty repetetive, which causes the dizzy effect after a while. I played many 3D / FPS games and never had any problems with any other of them except these two.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty