Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Tatuira

Default Top Down, medieval, strategic, rpg game

Hello, I would appreciate any help on finding this game:

* Played on Windows around early 2000s.

* Runned on a small windowed mode, possibly with just an .exe file without instalation.

* I dont remember any sound, maybe just simple sounds like *hit* or *open a door*

* Caracteristics: Top Down, 2D, Medieval, RPG, Pixelated, Tile Based, strategy.

* You start the game in a place like a dungeon of a castle, and you make progress through the floors of the castle, one by one. Main objective was probably kill the final boss on the highest floor (I only made till 3th or 4th floor).

* You never go outside this castle, dungeon or whatever.

* I think the character move around the squares using the cursors

* The game is very simple, you and your enemies have only few atributes like ATK, DEF and LIFE POINTS. I cant remember if you increase them by leveling-up or just using itens and potions (boosts).

* The enemies were static and didnt move around, so you had to go in front (maybe on top) of them to start fighting.

* I dont remember interacting with other characters, like dialogs or buy/sell stuff, basicly is just fighting around.

* The thing about this game was the strategic choices you have to make, mostly which and when you attack your enemies. I used a lot of math looking ATK DEF and HP to decide which enemy was worthy attacking first.

* There were mandatory fights like the enemies blocking your path, and others that you could avoid, like a skeleton in a corner with a potion behind him (u had to decide if killing him was worthy).

Sorry if i made this too big, but im having a HARD time finding it.

Cheers!
Tatuira is offline                         Send a private message to Tatuira
Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Sounds quite a bit like Desktop Dungeons, but it came out much later than early 2000s.

There might be other roguelikes that follow a similar pattern but most of them have wandering monsters, not just standing ones.

Also, JIC, check Winged Warrior.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Screenshots for earlier Desktop Dungeons edition.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Tatuira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Sounds quite a bit like Desktop Dungeons, but it came out much later than early 2000s.

There might be other roguelikes that follow a similar pattern but most of them have wandering monsters, not just standing ones.

Also, JIC, check Winged Warrior.
Its not Desktop Dungeons, its older for sure, but lets use it to compare some aspects.

See this image: http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...-initiated.jpg

* Diferente from desktop dungeons, you didnt have to explore (black areas), all areas were lit from start.

* The size of the screen was way smaller, in the image you have something like 20x20 squares on the screen, the game im looking for is probably more like 10x10 or 12x12 to fit the screen.

* I think the screen was static, it didnt move side to side or up and down, when you are in a room and pick a stairway it change the whole screen to another room.

* The ambient was more like a castle than a proper dungeon (cave). I think it has cell blocks and you had to get keys to open it.

* The grafic was more pixalated than dungeon desktop.

* As i said, the game was windowed, and maybe just and .exe file type of game.

Fuck, i think im the only one who played this game, or at least the only one who liked it, i just cant find it!!! Help me guys!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Maybe that exe file was in fact a stand-alone Flash game... there are thousands of these...
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Tatuira

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Maybe that exe file was in fact a stand-alone Flash game... there are thousands of these...
Yep, thats the conclusion i´m getting to.

I am 95% certain that was a stand-alone flash game now. But it was so cool.. I guess i'll never play it again

At least you guys showed me Desktop Dungeons which i´m playing the free old version and i found it very nice! The game is very similar to the one i was looking for, the main diference is that desktop dungeons brings you a diferente adventure every time since it randomly generates its maps, but its never an epic campain. In the other hand, that game i was after had a pre-made map with many rooms and floors, so it was more like one time adventure with way more depth and epicness on it, you know what i mean?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Tatuira

Well, it's been two months now and i couldn't get a single clue about it, so i'm giving up on this game.

If you guys know other nice roguelike games just let me know ok?

Thanks a lot!
Old 13-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatuira View Post
The main diference is that desktop dungeons brings you a diferente adventure every time since it randomly generates its maps, but its never an epic campain.
Actually, it have campaign. In full, Steam-sale version.

Hmm, I just thought... what about Space Hulk? Not old one, and not newest, but middle, unofficial remake? This one?

Oh, and another desktop conversion came in mind too. I had high hopes about it, but project went frozen unfortunately... Hero Quest.
Old 21-05-2014, 02:23 AM   #9
camieabz

Just a shot in the dark...Rogue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28video_game%29
camieabz is offline                         Send a private message to camieabz
Old 30-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

Someone with a similar query at Mobygames was looking for Tower of the Sorceror, and before that, someone suggested a variant of Wizard's Castle. If that wasn't you, well, check it out.

It was definitely a single-character game, right?
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten