Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div align="center">Halo 2
Bungie
for the Xbox console</div>

Note: If you do not want to take the time to read this entire review scroll down to the bottom of the post and view the SUMMARY to get right to the point.

Well, where to start?

I was one of the ones who immediately became transfixed in this game within the moment of my first playing it. It had nice graphics (for the time), powerful weapons, and absolute massacre-iffic multiplayer carnage. What was not to like?

Every day, my buddies and I would gather together and have a system-link showdown, flaying each other alive for well over periods of four hours at a time...it was great...

Until, I opened my eyes.

Really, it started to dawn on me that maybe the multiplayer was a bit unbalanced, no problem, I could still win...if'n my opponent didn't cherry pick me with a Sword ('scuse the Halo lingo, i'll cover that in a bit).

Now, on to the analysis...

--

Graphics

Perhaps the best part of the game, these graphics shimmer, with breathtaking reflections and open airspace aplenty. It is also worth noting weapon details such as the ammunition counter on the Battle Rifle that displays the amount of rounds remaining in the clip. When going through the game for the first time, the casual gamer should easily settle right into H2's graphical package. k:

However, this section is not without its letdowns. Many reocurring glitches (Super Jump anyone?) contribute general frustration to the game, with such nice things as getting stuck in walls and the aforementioned Super Jumps. Also, perhaps one of the largest issues with the game is the general repetition of it's indoor Campaign levels. :wallbash:

You will literally feel as though you're slugging through the same city over and over again. The texture "Steel" is way too overused for environments, and the extremely limited amount of outdoor encounters don't exactly make up for the drab urban landscapes. My final irritation with Halo 2's visual package is that they have ommitted the coveted "smack the carcasses and watch blood splatter everywhere" convention found in Halo: Combat Evolved; half a point off just for this :bleh: .

But to be fair, I was impressed with the artwork used to construct the various skies found throughout Halo 2.
<div align="center">
8.5/10</div>

Sound

Seemingly another forte, explosions echo throughout your stereo system and the constant hammering of bullets rattles your teeth. The voice acting used in the game is decent, though the character dialogue and sloppy plot isn't the most pleasant thing to greet your eardrums. I especially like the resounding "smack" when corpses are meeleed, it's a satisfying experience!

<div align="center">7.9/10 </div>

Control

No surprise here, the Xbox controller is more than suited for the job, with customizable sensitivity levels and even styles for the poor left-handed players of the world, this scheme simply delivers. Even though I personally do not like the game, I must admit that it is one of the best contolling console games i've ever played. Half a point off, though, for the akward placement of the "crouch" function (you must click in the left analog stick).

<div align="center">9.4/10</div>

Gameplay

*Takes deep breath* Alright, here comes the part that absolutely ruins the entire experience.

The gameplay in Halo 2 is most liken to that of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent...in fact, it's exactly the same. I'm not sure which game was inspired by which, but for such a novel concept as Halo 2, this mode of play just doesn't work.

The primary actions in the game are as follows: shoot, wait for shields to recharge, shoot, reload, wait for shields to recharge. Rinse. Repeat. Over and over and over again. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if, like I mentioned before in the Graphics heading, the environments just weren't so damned boring.

Also, Bungie changed the shield system so that both your health and your shields recharge. So what does this mean for the gamer? Frusturation, because this concept applies to your enemies as well. For example, if I am attempting to bring down a Hunter (a very powerful in-game enemy), I can't attack and retreat because his health will recharge just as mine will. I have to kill him all at once, or not at all...

This is the exact same for the multiplayer, and is ultimately what makes it unplayable past the first 2 weeks of receiving the game. I could go on and on about other extremely cheap multiplayer conventions, such as the intant-kill sword, shotgun, and the gargantuanly overpowered sniper rifle. But I will simply sum it up as this: Weapons = Unbalanced.

<div align="center">4.5/10</div>

Summary

All in all, this game delivers greatly in the sound, graphics, and contol department, but sorely lacks in the most important department of all: gameplay. To me, this is a travesty because I am a firm believer in gamplay first, graphics last. But with all the hype (Too much hype. WAY too much hype. :angry: :wallbash: ) such as this game receiving Game of the Year countless times and occaisionally being named the greatest game ever made, I am forced to look down upon it and see more of it's flaws than it's positives.

This really isn't a horrible game...it's just incredibly average, overrated, overplayed, and in general writes far too many checks that it just can't cash. If it weren't for these things, i'd probably give it a bit of a higher rating.

<div align="center">Overall Score: 6.99/10</div>

Agree? Disagree? Think you can make a better review?

Post it below, I really want to hear what the guys at Abandonia think about one of the most mainstream games of all time.

~Iowa
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

are you sure you are not talking about Halo 1

oh dear, so they included boring "copy paste" underground section again....

well i dont' own an x-box, but i wasn't impressed playing halo 1 on PC. first few leveles are awesome, but later it get's boring and repetitive. i guess it was a break for games consol owners, because there weren't many such 3d Games available there before Halo.

But on PC it's just another 3d shooter - with a story (OMG, OMG!!). i liked Half life much more simply because of rich environment. Not to mention some other 3D shooters before that, such as the legendary Duke nukem 3D, Doom or a couple of RPG's (such as Ultima Underworld 1 &2). Then there were Return to castle Wolfenstein, Medal of honour...

I would choose Morrowind over Halo anytime :P

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 05-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

I agree though... i never found flood to be fun to kill... but thats what you do most of the game...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

I agree with the reviewer. It is very unbalanced and there was far to little cheat protection in the game when it first started. Then they patched it until they changed too many things making it not fun anymore. I remember I got to level 14 in team slayer (that was good). Now you can get to about level 30 playing by using your behind hairs to control your guy. That's how easy it is now.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I'm becoming increasingly amazed that I haven't received any fanboyish rants about how I don't like Halo 2 because I don't have any "sk177z"...

That's happened far more than once :tai:
Old 13-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Hooray for abandonia?
Old 13-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Hooray for Abandonia.
Old 16-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Tiberius

It all comes down to whether you want the game to be "realistic" or "balanced". I prefer realistic myself, so maybe that's why I enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer so much. Why not go back to basics and ask yourself what a sniper rifle does, or a shotgun at close range. Can't really do that with the fictional energy sword made of whatever Bungie decided . Just think about that and ask your self would you really be having more fun if they were unbelievably weak? Or if they were removed from the game? A huge part of the multiplayer is getting your hands on one of these strong weapons. As for the little tricks in the game, they're there for the hardcore gamers... really imo to give them a little edge on the more casual gamers. I said little instead of unfair, because its available to anyone that puts the effort into perfecting it.

Anyway, I hope I have provided a good counter point without sounding like a fanboy or whatever. Opinions on my post would be appreciated too.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 16-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Quote:
It all comes down to whether you want the game to be "realistic" or "balanced". I prefer realistic myself, so maybe that's why I enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer so much[/b]
I don't know whether anyone's told you, but there isn't a single multiplayer on the planet that's realistic. If it were truly realistic, the frag grenade would be the most powerful weapon because shrapnel would either kill your opponent or cripple them beyond moving.

Quote:
Just think about that and ask your self would you really be having more fun if they were unbelievably weak?[/b]
Maybe this is just an issue with me, but yes, I like weapons that are incredibly weak. That's one of the reasons why I think Perfect Dark's multi is far superior to any other is that it's possible to win even with the weakest weapon against a rocket launcher. My friend and I have had hours of fun plugging away at each other with the peashooter-like Falcon II pistols.

Plus this takes out the whole Energy Sword thing of *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* "KILLTACULAR!" "Yeah, I am the most skilled with the Energy Sword!"

...No, you just possess the basic ability to press the R trigger when the crosshair is red.

Quote:
As for the little tricks in the game, they're there for the hardcore gamers... really imo to give them a little edge on the more casual gamers.
[/b]
I have a word for this, it's called being an "unfairbastard". I'd be alot happier, too, if Bungie actually had half-decent Quality Assurance and checked the game for glitches and SuperJumps and such.

Quote:
I said little instead of unfair, because its available to anyone that puts the effort into perfecting it.[/b]
You're right .

Quote:
Anyway, I hope I have provided a good counter point without sounding like a fanboy or whatever. Opinions on my post would be appreciated too.[/b]
And i'm very thankful that you did that, it sets you apart from all the Halo 2-loving racist twelve year olds you find on Xbox Live. There you have my opinions on your post, and I hope I didn't sound like a total jerk...I wouldn't know, I wasn't there when I typed them.
Old 16-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Halo 2 itself is a fine game, but the online community, like very other single X-Box Live game, is a cess pool of idiotic morons who not only don't know how to play a game correctly, but posses the brains of slugs.

They seriously need to make X-Box Live payable by a bank card or credit/debit card only or whatever, as too many kids can just buy the damn cards from the store and play online. Little morons, I'd like to shovel my fist into their faces for every time I've heard the damn N-word online.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy