Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

Question

I recently saw a jon stewart episode containing things like others countrys strongly dislike U.S. well just wondering what everyone at abandonia thought
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 18-06-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

First and foremost, the US is a country of people...people who are just like those of every other country. The Governments come and go, but the people will always remain. I'm a little concerned by the aggressive policies of the current Government, but then I have very little idea what's really going on. I'm in Australia which is an ally of the US, and unfortunately we get dragged into every skirmish that the US is involved in. The Government over here believes that we need the protection of a powerful country like the US, but we never get involved in disputes with other countries, except those that we become involved with as part of our US alliance.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-06-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

thats kinda what i was gearing this towards was into the government and political debate because im haveing fun debating the 6000 year old earth thread and would love to debate this
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 18-06-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Evad
Game freak

Not trying to sound like a crazy internet conspiricist here, but the way things are going I can't imagine how we are going to evade another world war. Instead of pumping money into science and technology and developing cleaner and more readily available power sources, The west is thumbing its military might around much similar to a school yard bully. Living in Canada's oil province I'm just as guilty of this as anyone else out there, however I have never, nor will I ever work in the industry.
Similar to Australia's situation, we here in Canada are dragged into a lot of things, but thankfully we never entered Iraq. The funny thing is we are getting manhandled by the USA in trade. It seems that the USA thinks that if it is not good for the usa, it is just not good at all, and they always have to have the upperhand. Theyseem to have no ethical or moral compass.
The US is always talking about how they help the world, and that it would fall apart if it wasn't for them. This is hogwash as far as I'm concerned, as the US jumped into pole position through war, and have maintained it through the very same method. You look at most of the present and recent military conflicts and it was always fueled by some major power, and the usa is no different, and maybe worse. I suggest you check out znets noam chomsky archive.
For the record, I don't think it is abnormal that the usa is in its present situation, as every major power that has made a run for it has shown some contempt for the rest of the world. I'm just preparing for the worst I guess. also, no offense is meant for any american's out there, as most people are intelligent enough to differentiate between you and your gov't
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 18-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Fat, loud, egocentric, ignorant people with a very limited knowledge of geography.
Oh and let's not forget the hipocricy.

Fat - because every american i saw was either fat or chubby in our standards. and we are not a skinny nation.
Loud - yeah they all have something to say and they make sure everyone else hears them no matter how private the matter is.

Egocentric - with the attitude as in We are always right you are wrong, either you are with me or against me, We are the best F*ck the rest kind fo attitude. We have this we have that, we have this the best we have that the best. no grey areas in politics and they are always right.
e.g. the baseball winners are called World champions. eventhought they are not the best teams in the world. same is (or used to be)with NBA. Hmm reminds me of Serbs only intensified.

Ignorant... - well let's just say this goes with egocentric. a lot of time they think they know everything while they don't. in fact they are convinced they know it but they don't know it. belive me i have seen it in many forums. but luckilly not here. it appears that more intelliget people go to this forum.
oh and with this geography a respect for other cultures is also meant. they should allow others to have their own life, because they have good reasons for it. e.g communism is BAD. well they can't/shouldn't really say that,because you probably never live in one. because they never knew why it came to surface (heavy exploit of people, underdevelopement, the need for reforms aways form typical democracy...). maybe some countries needed it or they need it to prevent ethnic wars and conflicts.

hipocricy - well that one just combines them and rounds them up. when you kill someone for the better of the mankind or the consequences of your action are such that many people die, then you are a hipocryt. or if you preach how every life is sacred, go to church, don't want to "kill" the fetus and then you execute a man for murder who could even later prove to be innocent. and see a war in a foreign country (not defense war) as a necessity. i mean... WTF?

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 18-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I wouldn't say I'm exactly proud to be an American ... but ...

Ouch

I have to say, that's rather inflammatory. I'll be the first to admit that Americans in general aren't the coolest of people, but that was just harsh.

Just like any culture, you can't just put a blanket label over everyone in America and say, "Well this is the way THEY are."

There's also really good Americans, just like there's really bad people in other countries. Just because our government does something doesn't mean that all Americans support it, just like you probably don't support all the policies of your own government. You only need a bit more than half to make a majority, after all.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 18-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Let's respect Shunk's wishes that Government policies, not people, be discussed. Also we have a number of US members who also deserve respect, especially as they're not responsible for the policies of their Government anymore than the rest of us are responsible for ours. To say that a whole country of people are this, or that, is kind of irrational, anyway, and reflects badly on the one saying it.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well what Gregor said is the view of majoroty of people here in Slovenia. Although there are people here who also idolize Americans - like all the girls would be perfect beauties and all the guys would be excelent athlets...

Personally I think that about 75% of the entire population (I mean the whole world) isn't something humanity could be proud of. Most people are intelectually lazy (or even incapable of deep thought) and are only looking for a way to make their lives as pleasurable for them as possible with as little effort as possible. And this, I think, applys for all the countries all over the world.

The main problem with America's image in the world is it's publicity.
US became a promised land for poor Europeans when it got discovered. So people started thinking about it as the perfect paradise on Earth. It's not - no place can be. Then US became a super-power, so people thought of it as curropt, pompous, but at least rich. And now most people identify it with it's military being present all over the world. This makes it just one big bully.
The fact that most movies come from Hollywood doesn't help either. The movie industry was and to some point still is projecting the image of US as the land of dreams and oportuneties. It's not. It's just a land like every other. But the rest of the world usually understands that as boasting (not that they wouldn't probably do the same).
And because the US media is always out to find some oddity and stupidity (like people sealing off their houses to protect their families from a biological terrorist attack) and such news is sold to the world as well - people see more stupid americans then stupid people of other nationalities - although every nation has it's own share of stupidity (And trust me - Slovenia might be on the top of the list).

So the perception of US among the rest of the world is usually based upon images people get from media - not based on the people who actually live there.

EDIT: And as for politics... I think that's one thing we actually shouldn't talk about. I don't go around gossiping on how people should do their domestic choirs. US policy is mostly an internal thing of the US, so the only thing I can really comment on is their international involvment - it concerns me too.

Why are the US armed forces present all over the world? Are they really necessary?
Why is US so concerend with bringing democracy to people all over the world? It's liek some sort of missionary work (they are basically bullying people to copy their own regime)?
That would probably be all for now.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

My father told me very good thing, and all people must know it. There isn't bad country. When we are told that US is damn country, that always poke its nose wherever it could, and other things, we MUSTN'T forget, that in this country also live normal good people, who don't care a damn to those politician's words, who always do their dirty job they chose. Of course, there are some people, who speak like politicians, but this is because they didn't realize value of life or because they are fools. Peoples can't and mustn't hold offence on each other. Every Europe country went war on each other and the result of it - EU.
So, please, when you will hear something like "That country and those ****s (nation) are s**t and they must die", first think about, that in this country most people didn't think so. They would better make friendship with you and even him, who said those words

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 18-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I like Americans in the East Coast, not the West Coast.
I don't know, all the americans I spoke to last year during my trip through the east coast were nice, friendly and helpfull, I was amazed, they're the exact opposite as the average European.

Sure they may not have a lot of knowledge about the world, but then again most people I talk to here have hardly ever heard of people like Stalin and according to polls very little people in Europe know what Auschwitz was, let alone where it was.
Lack of general knowledge is something that is plaguing the entire world, but everybody is just too proud to admit it about themselves.

I know when I visited the US last year people always asked us why Europeans hate them so much, they seemed concerned about not getting along with Europeans (so much for the egocentric attitude) and I couldn't answer. It's not because of president Bush alone, since Europeans disliked the US even under Clinton.

I think it is because of the media and Hollywood, the average european hasn't gone to the US yet (and if they did they went to the west coast) and all their information on the US comes from the news where they like stereotyping democrats as a homosexual new-yorker and republicans as an old man with a southern accent. Hollywood these days hasn't exactly helped in moderating this image.