Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Hi!
I'll get a new computer soon, and since it will have only Linux until I'll get a WinXP CD, I'm curious how one can use Linux. Does it work like Windows (e.g. click, click, VIRUS!!!!, click, click, click *OS crashes*), or is it more complicated?
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 10-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

It's more click, click, wtf am I supossed to do?

Seriously, it may be hard for you to get use to it in beggining but it's allright. Virus? On Linux? I doubt it. I never saw Linux crashing, I don't know how that looks like.

I think that the biggest problem for you will be to live without your familiar apps for a while. But Linux rules, I plan on switching to Linux this summer (dual-boot with windows offcourse)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There is a virusscanner for Linux, ClamAV (http://www.clamav.net/), but I seriously doubt you're going to need it. To get started, use a user-friendly distribution like Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org), which is my personal favourite. It'll install in less then an hour and will detect most (if not all) of your hardware (allthough wifi-cards may pose a bit of a problem). You can also try a live-cd first (Ubuntu has one, but Knoppix is also a very good one).

As for the actual using, since most distros startup KDE or Gnome at boot it's pretty much the same as using Windows. There's a big button which gives access to all programs installed... Adding software is mostly done using some sort of package manager (Synaptic in Ubuntu) and is really simple and straightforward...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 10-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Hey, Reup, I plan on using Ubuntu. Any expiriences with TV Tuner cards (PCI card, not integrated in graphics card)?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
As for the actual using, since most distros startup KDE or Gnome at boot it's pretty much the same as using Windows. There's a big button which gives access to all programs installed... Adding software is mostly done using some sort of package manager (Synaptic in Ubuntu) and is really simple and straightforward...
[/b]
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks Reup!

Quote:
I think that the biggest problem for you will be to live without your familiar apps for a while. But Linux rules, I plan on switching to Linux this summer (dual-boot with windows offcourse)[/b]
My poor lil' Trillian... Anyway, I think I'll keep Linux and Windows installed on my new computer. Who knows. Maybe I'll also like Linux more. :P
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah. My TV card was recognized (philips chipset). I'm planning to run MythTV on my Ubuntu machine

Quote:
Originally posted by Abi
Trillian
You can use Gaim on Linux (and on Win as well). It also has multiple protocol support!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There is something called Damn Small Linux... that thing can work off anything from 486 upwards, and if you have over 128 MB RAM, you won't even have to install it - it can run off a ramdisk.
Even better, it has pretty decent set of drivers and a bunch of basic web and media programs.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Philips chipset? And it works! YAY!

Now, if I get PPPoE working right (ADSL connection, but "modem" just does AD conversion so the computer must do rest of the work) I'll throw my Windows CD right throught an open window! Had problem with it on SuSe but I hope I'll have better luck with Ubuntu.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 10 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]242483[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
There is something called Damn Small Linux... that thing can work off anything from 486 upwards, and if you have over 128 MB RAM, you won't even have to install it - it can run off a ramdisk.
Even better, it has pretty decent set of drivers and a bunch of basic web and media programs. [/b]
Thanks! I'll download it and use it on another one of my computers to see how it's like. It's great that it can run from Windows or a USB thingy, since I don't have a CD Writer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Reup")</div>
Quote:
You can use Gaim on Linux (and on Win as well). It also has multiple protocol support![/b]
Thanks. I'll look over it also.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Also, you have QEMU Puppy Linux, works from a USB memory stick (you need 256 (or more) MB stick), but can also run under Linux EDIT: and Windows. Yes, just like DosBox: you load it and there you have your fully operational Linux with GUI (Gnome) running on your Win based computer. It's about 50MB in size, so if it isn't too big download for you I reccomend you to try it.