Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #61
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Some info from a veteran:

Gary Whitta is a long time games reviewer. He used to be on The One Magazine (for Amiga, Atari ST and PC). Never thought him a bad reviewer.

I do agree that it sounds like they just want to discourage young gamers to go looking into the old games section. That's really sad, because it means PC Gamer is not an independent medium. Then again, it's American and nothing in the States is independent - they're all profit driven.

A good games magazine would be made for and by gamers themselves. Alas, I fear those times are over.

In short: Gary Whitta has gone over to the dark side, because nobody calls UFO: Enemy Unknown bad because its graphics are not up to date.

I still have hopes for the gaming industry though. One name: SID MEIER.

Hey, my handle's not Microprose Veteran without reason...

PS: I bought the warbox MOHAA plus add ons. At first it was fun but ultimately it is a very limited game. I never got to playing the add on missions. And nobody ever bleeds when they get hit!
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 28-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #62
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

HAHAHA, seriously he used to work for THE ONE? Oh man I hated that magazine! I remember having very low score for some very good games without any logic.
(Prefered ST Format and Strategy Plus on those days).
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 28-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #63
RituroErganesti
Forum hobbit

Talking

ST Format!!! Here I was, thinking I'd never hear the phrase "Atari ST" again unless I was looking through the attic in my Dad's house again... you guys just made my day AND week.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Microprose Veteran")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>In short: Gary Whitta has gone over to the dark side, because nobody calls UFO: Enemy Unknown bad because its graphics are not up to date.

I still have hopes for the gaming industry though. One name: SID MEIER.
[/b][/quote]

Tou and ché, MV. k: X-COM is my all-time favourite game -- surpassing even the likes of Deus Ex, Half-Life and Gazillionaire on my favourites list -- and it's not because of the graphics. (Actually, I thought they were fairly decent; maybe I'm just easily amused. :whistle It's because nothing, and I mean NOTHING, satisfies like an eight-waypoint blaster shot into a snakeman-infested gas station. (Second place: Taking on a snakeman battlecruiser with one lieutenant and surviving without saving. )

Sid Meier can do nothing wrong. SimGolf, Railroad Tycoon, Alpha Centauri, Civilization... yes, please! :Titan:
RituroErganesti is offline                         Send a private message to RituroErganesti
Old 29-04-2005, 06:11 AM   #64
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Actually i thought the graphics in the first two x-com titles were awesome

Oh yeah and sid meier rocks k:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 29-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #65
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

MF'ers. What do they know about good games... :whistle:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 29-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #66
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Funny just remembered this opinion is coming from the self proclaimed magazine that calls itself the best selling pc game mag in the world, whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 30-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #67
racer
Forum hobbit

Did you ever hear something about a "new world order"?. It also applies to games. This dude Gary is part of a chain envolving all of us towards buyin new games each month and new graphic cards twice a year. This magazine (all game magazines) has a lot of sponsorship coming from Nvidia and others graphics gurus, so what we can expect from such comment?
Microsoft is doing the same with Windoze and all their stuff that´s why 80% of world computers are Win based.
There´s a word that Mr. Gary doesn´t know much about. It´s called RESPECT. Please, have respect for the abandon scene, for the codies in Wing Commander, and for the people who prefer abandon software and don´t want to pay 50 dollars for a piece of c###. The abandon movement is made for people that like to enjoy this kind of software, collect it and play it to death, not for sub-cultural teens astonished by 50 billions of pixels and 10,000x8,000 resolution. But maybe abandonians are not convenient for the gamin industry...maybe we´re moving more traffic bandwitch than PC Gamer site...or than the new software companies sites, who knows...
racer is offline                         Send a private message to racer
Old 30-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #68
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Strange, i remember when I was such a "teen" and liked those old games. Don't talk down on teens. They are right to want better looking games. It is not their fault for not having better games now. Though I strongly disagree that modern games are worse than older ones.
I don't think it is a wise course of action on accusing new games of anything, or buyers of them. Just because a pompus (sp?) behind says bad things about old games doesn't mean that "you" have to say bad things about new games.
You are no better than him if you start accusing new games of lacking content, originality, gameplay because of having more colours or whatever.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 30-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #69
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

PC Gamer used to be pretty good, but these days they view themselves increasingly as a mouthpiece for the industry. I don't think anybody is actually being told on staff to give starry-eyed reviews of anything new and big, but the net effect is the same if you hire gee-golly-whiz kids whose knowledge of gaming goes back as far as all of two years.

And yes, I know some of the people frequenting this forum are kids, themselves. But you're not ignoring the history of gaming; far from it.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 30-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #70
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Yeah who knows in regards to PC gamer, they seem to pride themselves into being one of the few pc gaming mags that are out there, the staff has been changing and such these past few years and it's hard to keep up for me personally.

The only dude I like on the magazine stateside would have to be Greg "The Vede", he's one of my few favourite writers and such there.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude