Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
sdonline

Hey ya'll I've read all the stuff on getting Red Alert to play on an XP system but is there any way to get it working on a Win 2000 pro system? I love that game and to be able to play it again would be pretty cool. Thanks for any help on this.

Eric
sdonline is offline                         Send a private message to sdonline
Old 30-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Moved to right forum.
Old 31-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
RedScourge

ive gotten it to work on XP as well, and in the past i have had trouble with other applications and i used the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit with mixed success (though i dont understand much of it LOL)

i was unable to find a way to get it work with win2kpro.

first time i installed it all, i neglected to reboot after installing red alert, second time, i rebooted after, then installed 1.08pe patch, then i tried running it, and i was getting the error popups that required me to alt+tab, then i installed counterstrike, same thing. then i installed aftermath, and a strange thing happened.

i was no longer getting those popups, but the game would not load at all, only things i could do to make the black screen stop was take out the cd and hit a cancel button a few times, or ctrl+alt+del and log off.

i was able to get it to work with just plain old red alert 1.08pe, but i had to alt tab quickly when it popped up the message:

"an privileged instruction was executed at address 005c714"

and when it says its generating an error message and closing it, i clicked cancel, alt tabbed back into the game, and was able to play.

but this is bullcrap, theres gotta be something that can be done!

anyone care to give it a try? try different orders of install, try fiddling with the appcompat toolkit from microsoft, etc.
RedScourge is offline                         Send a private message to RedScourge
Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
RedScourge

ok, i got it to work!

the solution for me was as follows:

create shortcuts on the desktop to the install cd's setup.exe and autorun.exe
if you dont already have the compatibility tab visible in the properties of shortcuts in windows 2000 SP2+ run this command: "regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll"

right click both shortcuts, set compatibility mode on both of them to Windows 95 mode.

run the autorun.exe shortcut
install red alert
install 1.08pe patch
install addons
install 3.03 patch from http://ra.afraid.org/ or other places (westwoods site SUCKS! they dont even have links to their old FTP site anymore, etc.), or search up "red alert 3.03 patch" in google if you need it.

the 3.03 patch limits you to 4 player games, this is apparently necessary since the IPX protocol was rewritten in win2k/xp and so the connectivity betwen such systems on a LAN is just not possible otherwise. even so, i have yet to successfully get red alert to play across a LAN at all involving windows 2000/xp systems, but ive only ever tried 2 xp systems, and i dont remember if they were using this patch or not.

hopet his helps!
RedScourge is offline                         Send a private message to RedScourge
Old 18-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Nyerguds
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by RedScourge@Apr 2 2005, 12:23 AM
(westwoods site SUCKS! they dont even have links to their old FTP site anymore, etc.), or search up "red alert 3.03 patch" in google if you need it.

the 3.03 patch limits you to 4 player games, this is apparently necessary since the IPX protocol was rewritten in win2k/xp and so the connectivity betwen such systems on a LAN is just not possible otherwise. even so, i have yet to successfully get red alert to play across a LAN at all involving windows 2000/xp systems, but ive only ever tried 2 xp systems, and i dont remember if they were using this patch or not.
Uhh..

1. That's EA's fault - Westwood doesn't exist anymore
2. FTP is still up at ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub, and seeing as WW doesn't exist anymore you should be glad for that.
3. The 3.03 patch was never officially released. It was leaked by a beta tester after WW went down.
4. The 3.03 patch increases the number of players on internet games from 2 to 4. LAN hasn't changed at all, and is perfectly possible with the 3.03 patch.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
me101
Lurker

I got Red Alert running on XP with LAN using this tutorial on PlanetCnC.

http://www.planetcnc.com/features/te.../networkguide/

You've gotta change a setting in the IPX properties (more details on site), not sure if it works on Windows 2000 or not.
me101 is offline                         Send a private message to me101