Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Machiavelli

Default I J: Fate of Atlantis

I have the talkie version, but I'm not sure how to install the game. Doing it in windows and clicking on the exe files attempts to run the game, but really goes no where but sound configs.

I can just run it through the CD on DosBox, but it won't let me save and the screen isn't filled out completely.

Any advice?
Machiavelli is offline                         Send a private message to Machiavelli
Old 16-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Did you try to mount your hard drive and CD-Rom in DosBox and to install the game to your hard drive? Something like that below should do:

mount c c:\ (your hard drive)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom (the CD-Rom)
d:
(command to install the game, often install.exe)

Then, after the game is installed, usually the configuration program starts where you can set up the sound, memory etc. After that you can add the following lines under the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf to run the game always you start DosBox, or just type them in DosBox each time if you prefer:

mount c c:\
c:
cd (game folder)
(game folder is where you installed the game)
(command to run the game)
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 16-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Machiavelli

I did manage to get the game "installed." I just copied and pasted the folder from the cd to my hard drive. Bad idea? The sound works fine, but the graphics look like they could be better.

Is there a way to make sure I'm running the game in VGA (best looking, right?)? Like I said about the resolution, things looks a little crappy and distorted. The Last Crusade looks better.
Machiavelli is offline                         Send a private message to Machiavelli
Old 16-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Hmm, are you sure you actually have Fate of Atlantis and not Last Crusade? Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis only runs in VGA mode (320x200, 256 colors) as much as I know. Or maybe there's some incompatibility problem between DosBox and your computer.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 16-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Distorted in what way, exactly?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Kippesoep
Forum hobbit

While Indy 4 can run in EGA mode (try it out by starting with "ATLANTIS E" -- type "ATLANTIS ?" to get a list of command line options), by default it'll run in VGA mode.

Copying the folder to the hard drive is not a good way to install.

Since I have the talkie version too, I just tried installing it and here's what I did:

Code:
mount c d:\oldstuff
mount d z:\ -t cdrom
d:
atlantis
(I have a folder called "oldstuff" on my D drive and my CD-ROM drive is Z in Windows). The above commands then start the installation procedure. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor down to "Sound Blaster & Compatibles / Adlib" and press Enter. Then move the cursor right to "Sound Blaster & Compatibles" and press Enter again. Accept the default port 220 (enter), IRQ 7 (enter). The press Escape and Y to save settings. In the menu that appears, press Enter to start the game.

If you later want to play the game again, just repeat the above commands (the game will then start immediately after typing "atlantis", as the configuration has been saved).
Kippesoep is offline                         Send a private message to Kippesoep
Old 16-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Machiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Hmm, are you sure you actually have Fate of Atlantis and not Last Crusade? Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis only runs in VGA mode (320x200, 256 colors) as much as I know. Or maybe there's some incompatibility problem between DosBox and your computer.
Yes, the box is quiet clear that it is FoA, though I have Last Crusade too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Distorted in what way, exactly?
Just the character models look a little too pixilated. The back of the box shows better screenshots and I can't remember what the game looked like when I played it when it came out. Maybe it is the resolution thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippesoep View Post
While Indy 4 can run in EGA mode (try it out by starting with "ATLANTIS E" -- type "ATLANTIS ?" to get a list of command line options), by default it'll run in VGA mode.

Copying the folder to the hard drive is not a good way to install.

Since I have the talkie version too, I just tried installing it and here's what I did:

Code:
mount c d:\oldstuff
mount d z:\ -t cdrom
d:
atlantis
(I have a folder called "oldstuff" on my D drive and my CD-ROM drive is Z in Windows). The above commands then start the installation procedure. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor down to "Sound Blaster & Compatibles / Adlib" and press Enter. Then move the cursor right to "Sound Blaster & Compatibles" and press Enter again. Accept the default port 220 (enter), IRQ 7 (enter). The press Escape and Y to save settings. In the menu that appears, press Enter to start the game.

If you later want to play the game again, just repeat the above commands (the game will then start immediately after typing "atlantis", as the configuration has been saved).
Will doing this install lose my saved games?
Old 30-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
follz

hi im having trouble.
i have installed dosbox and my game works absolutely fine on it.
but when ive played the game and want to save where i am...i press f5...i type in whatever im saving and then click save...it keeps saying at the top "the game has NOT been saved"
i dont know what to do with it...i really want to play the game but dont want to do it all in one day.
please help. thanks

Old 30-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Check if in Windows the directory where you unpacked the game is set to Read Only.
If yes, uncheck that.

Also, remember you need full read/write/modify permissions in that directory - this might be a bit problematic in Windows Vista.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by follz View Post
hi im having trouble.
i have installed dosbox and my game works absolutely fine on it.
but when ive played the game and want to save where i am...i press f5...i type in whatever im saving and then click save...it keeps saying at the top "the game has NOT been saved"
i dont know what to do with it...i really want to play the game but dont want to do it all in one day.
please help. thanks
For Fate Of Atlantis, you would be better using Scumm. Scumm was designed to play old adventure games like this.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo