Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
goblins
Game Wizzard

Ok this is on topic on this thread what im proposing is an area "programmers forum perhaps" to increase the sense of community around here.

Perhaps allowing the would be programmers to come up with a special abadonia strategy simulation or other type of game - it would be GPL in nature - someone could get the ball rolling with a simple game and anyone can take the code and fiddle with it - you might end up with 10 or so versions of something - let it take an evoluationary role whatever the creative minds around here come up with.

It would be a sideshow to the main site but it might be something to consider to incresae involvement on this site and who knows the guys and gals might come up with a good quality game.

Of course it would be a 100% clean slate to to start with.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

Heh, you beat me to the post Goblins. Maybe we should pick a language? There is only so much portability between different ones.

And are we comming up with a common theme or is everyone going to work on their own version? I would think that having many people working on the same project could make a damn nice game.
twisted-mystic is offline                         Send a private message to twisted-mystic
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
goblins
Game Wizzard

but it shouldnt distract from the main abandonia website but it could be linked - well dunno im totally hopeless at programming languages apart from http LOL

That said pearl c++ visual basic. I would have a similar idea to the angband variants - allow programmers to change it ever so slightly or a complete rejig and then put the different versions up on the main site. Invite people to change the code etc contribute music graphics etc.

But yes it has potential but i guess its up to kosta and co weather they want to allow it or weather it is to much off the beaten track.

Being a open ended project might mean a lack of co ordination but groups could organise themselves in 5-10 to perhaps agree to work on a common variant or improve on existing code.

Comments are welcome of course esp from admin.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

Well, if the Admins would allow, Might i suggest we work up some kind of rough outline so that there is a core program for any eventual developers to work on?
twisted-mystic is offline                         Send a private message to twisted-mystic
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Maybe I could do character art... I'm working on animé
Thats Sweet!! k: Artists are the hardest thing to come across by what i've found. What kind of look should we go for? that early 90's RPG style? Or maybe something a little less pixilated?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah, I could draw some things.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
goblins
Game Wizzard

danny252 - yes that is good anime art contributions may be able to be used - we want it so anyone can pick it up make solid changes and re submit it as a seperate or as a subsidary project others can take and run with - to open ended and loose it becomes a bit distracted but to tight and many wont contribute - have you guys had a look at the angband (variants website) where they have 20-30 different versions. Anyone is able to run with it though.

Im thinking hte same thing. Dunno lets see what admin have to say keep it coming though

QBasic well its an idea but other programming languages may tend to dominate.

This is going to be come a big thread i have the feeling
Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
goblins
Game Wizzard

you could have different graphics sets - or perhaps if 5 or so games get going those involved could have a forum where they make a call for specific graphics and others that could do it could contribute

We have anime, early 90s RPG style

Anything else.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

stick figures?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
goblins
Game Wizzard

text based game ? thats real old school.