Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Default Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

I started the game twice and got bored to death so I stopped playing.
Never understood why I should waste time with this game.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
DaAuCa

Default I didn't notice that Ultima IV was not here on Abandonia!

I really like this game! Its quite different from others in the way that there is not Enemy, instead you must complete quests for becoming, and being called as The Avatar for the first time!

I started playing again this game some time ago, and I was keeping an eye on not losing life. I think I had died around twice, or 4 times... but that's far a lot!

There is nothing easier on the game than preparing spells! Its cool, as you can 'asign' regreants for a certain spell, and then you simply use it when needed!

Also the Portal System is interesting. But I won't say much. I haven't read the review, as I actually know the game. Perhaps I could help anyone on any doubt about controls, or whatever comes!

Great game!, and let me repeat it... Great game! Its my second's favourite, after Ultima VI!
DaAuCa is offline                         Send a private message to DaAuCa
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Todbog
Forum hobbit

I am not gonna lie. My first Ultima experience was with the NES version (an adaptation of Ultima III: Exodus). It was an engrossing experience, made more so by the fact that I really didn't understand my basic purpose. Simply building a party that could survive the many encounters you had in the game was a challenge all its own.

Geezer has it right though when he says its tough going back to the early Ultimas. After experiencing Ultima VI (my first PC Ultima) I look upon the first few and cannot get past the crude graphics and gameplay. Will I ever go back and play them? Maybe at one point, but I am hoping that by the time I get to them, there might be a remake. :laugh:
Todbog is offline                         Send a private message to Todbog
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todbog View Post
I am not gonna lie. My first Ultima experience was with the NES version (an adaptation of Ultima III: Exodus). It was an engrossing experience, made more so by the fact that I really didn't understand my basic purpose. Simply building a party that could survive the many encounters you had in the game was a challenge all its own.

Geezer has it right though when he says its tough going back to the early Ultimas. After experiencing Ultima VI (my first PC Ultima) I look upon the first few and cannot get past the crude graphics and gameplay. Will I ever go back and play them? Maybe at one point, but I am hoping that by the time I get to them, there might be a remake. :laugh:
I believe they did do a remake of Ultima I. It brought the game up to the level of IV as far as game mechanics and made it playable for the PC. I have never played II or III.

You are right. A modern remake of the early Ultimas would be very nice.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
axeman99
Lurker

Great stuff! The manual scans are especially welcome since this game is so hard to find. However, the 'History of Britannia' is missing pages 1-2 and 35-36. It would be great if those could be added.
axeman99 is offline                         Send a private message to axeman99
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Panthro
Man of Science

Ultima 4 was my first Ultima game, but I never completed it. I found it endlessly difficult to get certain virtues.

Good game though, set the scene for the rest of the series for me.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman99 View Post
Great stuff! The manual scans are especially welcome since this game is so hard to find. However, the 'History of Britannia' is missing pages 1-2 and 35-36. It would be great if those could be added.
Hmmm. I'll check that out. I usually skip pages that are blank or contain nothing but fluff. Thanks for the alert.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Belbozz

www.ultimaaiera.com

Check this out for a VGA/Midi Patch for U4. And goodies for the other Ultimas.

Belbozz

-==(UDIC)==-
Belbozz is offline                         Send a private message to Belbozz
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I've gotten far on this game, but never managed to finish it. Thats because, strangely, every freakin time I try to play this, I cant seem to buy any reagants for spells. Am I the only one?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen