Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #31
Saccade
[BANNED]

[this is a very long way of saying, "but it's kinda free anyway."]

Dude - I have recently built a PC, old-skool IDE and stuff, and tried to get Win98, Win95+Dos and Dos 6.22/7.10 to run on it.

It's a fucking nightmare, I had forgotten how slow everything was and how impatient I have become.
Not only did I have to contend with switching memories for different games, loading cd/mouse/graphics/scsi/sound drivers for each one (as they all require different ones and to get the memory free - 32Mb - was difficult at times), I had to go out and buy a whole new load of hardware.

None of the post 98 stuff really worked with earlier OS...
Then, it's locating drivers for all that new gear and getting that to work. And nothing's as simple as that - no USB (without hassle), so all on CD's, disc, network (which is hassle) or physical hard-drive to copy data.

No Wireless...

Believe me, it was a joy when I finally installed Win 3.11, so I had a decent GUI (not that Commander isn't great...) to organise my discs.

And in gaming terms - Other emulators tend to suck, as the games sucked in the first place.
I've got a megadrive and a 3DO and the PC em's are shit, imo. If Dosbox is an emulator, then it's pretty good at replicating that's out for the thing it's emulating, as it's practically the same.
Other emulators are using totally different hardware. FreeDO sucks worse than 3DO. At least you have the original gaming stuff with the console.
DosBox is pretty much designed for games...
It's way easier, more compatible and stable and less hassle than Dos.

So, seriously - Why the fuck would you want Micro$oft to release some code from some OS that we all left quite willingly for better functionality, just to try and shrink Bill's man-balls a bit?
Especially when you and I *both* know that we can get it for free, anyway.
Not that Abandonia or anyone who uses it condones that sort of behaviour, sonny jim.

His nuts are so big, we can chisel hardened pieces of excess, accidentally made (only for the sake of preserving and examining the code) software off them, and he doesn't even notice.
(ie - this is my first ever, legitimate copy of Windows, ever. And that's only cos I got it from work. Bill Gates never noticed *my* little indiscretion with his lope-de-lope, I don't think.)

Last edited by Saccade; 31-10-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: swore a few times.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 31-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #32
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Ubuntu. I gotta love Mark Shuttleworth. Opensource is the way forward. Who wants windows 98? Even NT was uselessium.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 31-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #33
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
So, seriously - Why the fuck would you want Micro$oft to release some code from some OS that we all left quite willingly for better functionality, just to try and shrink Bill's man-balls a bit?
Not 'all' left that ol'MSDos.
It's still alive and kicking for industrial uses.
Or do you think someone gonna pay for a Windows PC when he only needs a 200-5000 lines of code to steer a small robotic device? Or a small PLC? CNC? Step motors? Whatever and whatnots.
FYI: industrial 486 mobos/PCs are also still manufactured....... and 386 chips, and 8088s... etcetera.

[Edit]
One of many:
http://www.esapcsolutions.com/indust...ards-c-45.html

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 31-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #34
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Not 'all' left that ol'MSDos.
It's still alive and kicking for industrial uses.
Or do you think someone gonna pay for a Windows PC when he only needs a 200-5000 lines of code to steer a small robotic device? Or a small PLC? CNC? Step motors? Whatever and whatnots.
FYI: industrial 486 mobos/PCs are also still manufactured....... and 386 chips, and 8088s... etcetera.

[Edit]
One of many:
http://www.esapcsolutions.com/indust...ards-c-45.html
Sounds like something us old-school gamers should look into, eh? Fully functional hardware from early 90's is becoming scarce.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
Saccade
[BANNED]

Good point, Dos... I hadn't thought of that.
You'd only need a PCB, a few chips and CRT monitor to send control to servos and stuff.

I think I'd use Dos 7.10 if it came to industrial use, as it's fairly good and free.

I recently had to get an old Soundblaster Card for my rebuilt old PC...
I had no idea that they still made those chips.

[ed]
Cheers for the link, btw - those ATX M/b's are a lot cheaper than getting a 2nd hand one from the local computer collector's shop in town.
I paid 99pence for a PS2 mouse so I didn't have to use USB.
I wouldn't mind a motherboard with built-in USB2, so I didn't have to piss around with drivers. Besides, I need the IDE slot for the SB.

Last edited by Saccade; 04-11-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is the only petition that matters.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #37
the exterminator

Microsoft to release their source code? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
More chance of cat saying woof.

I use Dos7.10 for source code is available at sourceforge.]There are also many other projects similar style (nature).
the exterminator is offline                         Send a private message to the exterminator
Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #38
the exterminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Sounds like something us old-school gamers should look into, eh? Fully functional hardware from early 90's is becoming scarce.
Yes. But not in my house. It is filled with old computers that still jog (run) some are even from early 80's. My prized (valued) possestion is that of a commodore console. it was never released in my country in the 80's. Even though the C64 has cartridge (magazine) slot this machine only has cartridge slot and joystick ports (harbours) weighs about less than 1 kg. Only issue (problem) now is that D-slot joysticks are rare. It ever break and I don&ampt know what I would do.
the exterminator is offline                         Send a private message to the exterminator
Old 23-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #39
KrazeeXXL
BORG

imo a needless idea for a petition.

The guys and gals who created Freedos and/or the Dosbox achieved so much w/o this source code. And these project are getting improved as we speak.

I read this source code request-problematic often b4 regarding very different kind of programs. It is requested mostly from ppl who aren't programmers, who also aren't involved in any kind of project and who wouldn't even understand tiny bits of the source code at all.

Seriously, when you're a programmer you dislike to comb through thousands of pages of other ppl's work. You just want to do something new by yourself.

(there are always exceptions ofc)
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL