Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Check the game's sound configuration and set it to use Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #22
KrisViking

Default Good game

I had the NES version which I picked up in a store back '92. This game got alot of play over the years and is still one of my favourite games(NES version at least). I actually took time to compile the scrolls and books into a little document I call "The Shadowgate Library". I have the file on some cd and have a copy or two I printed from the computer. I can't say too much about this version, but I know that the NES version had excellent music, nice puzzles, alot of traps that I learned the hard way and some very nice poetry.

A Scroll(probably scroll 4 or 5) in the game was, let's see if I remember:
The light grows faint, the path winds round
Where life is lost, wisdom is found
The seed of the dream, for the evil is free
where the sword is hung, he must place the key
A bridge to from, amidst burning death
A demon to guard, 'Motari Riseth'
KrisViking is offline                         Send a private message to KrisViking
Old 14-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #23
roarke
Abandonia nerd

Anyone knows what is up with Comodo and what SGATE.EXE is ?

roarke is offline                         Send a private message to roarke
Old 14-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #24
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarke View Post

I would only comment on the experience of an Intermediate User... I may be wrong, and in that case, correct me...

I believe it may be a false positive case as it has happened several times with me when I regularly used Trainers, Savegame Editors, Patches, No Disc Cracks, etc.

I am a Paid Customer on CheatHappens.com. There is some very interesting information there.

You could submit that suspicious file at this link. In addition, you can scan it by using Virus Scan Online.

Now, my personal opinion is that although Comodo has an excellent reputation in Firewalls and Security Certificates, I am afraid their Anti-Virus technology is not at the same level and depth...

I could say the same as the Microsoft Anti-Virus. I would consider them as average Anti-Virus... so-so... Just like the defunct VirusBuster, which was incorporated by the also defunct, but excellent Agnitum...

Even the mighty Kaspersky had a false positive by notifying that mIRC and CyberScript could be malicious (in the past)! Now, I would not know if this keeps happening (KIS / KTS)...
Old 16-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #25
roarke
Abandonia nerd

Or in a android phone, no virus alert is given with another anti-virus. Thank you for the info.
roarke is offline                         Send a private message to roarke
Old 16-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #26
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:

Or in a android phone, no virus alert is given with another anti-virus. Thank you for the info.
You are welcome! And good luck!

Incidentally, Kaspersky recently labeled a totally legitimate program, kind of Software Update Checker, the defunct CNET Download App as something harmful and malicious. I needed to put it in the Exclusion List including Dropbox Cloud because of Smart Sync.
Old 17-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #27
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:

It's main executable of Shadowgate, obviously. As it's DOS-game, it cannot be malware, by definition. False positive then.

(Only if it's not some "helpful" windows-pack, with DOSBox and everything, in one windows self-extracted package though - in this case it really can be malware masked under game hood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Incidentally, Kaspersky recently labeled a totally legitimate program, kind of Software Update Checker, the defunct CNET Download App as something harmful and malicious. I needed to put it in the Exclusion List including Dropbox Cloud because of Smart Sync.
Well, I don't like Kaspersky for it's _enormous_ greed for resources, but here it could have it's reasons. Program that tries to connect some third-party site without user consent and download something, not directly related to this program? Highly suspicious! :P
Old 17-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #28
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

It's main executable of Shadowgate, obviously. As it's DOS-game, it cannot be malware, by definition. False positive then.

(Only if it's not some "helpful" windows-pack, with DOSBox and everything, in one windows self-extracted package though - in this case it really can be malware masked under game hood).

Well, I don't like Kaspersky for it's _enormous_ greed for resources, but here it could have it's reasons. Program that tries to connect some third-party site without user consent and download something, not directly related to this program? Highly suspicious! :P
I understand your explanation and also understand your reasons for disliking Kaspersky. Norton and McAfee users also often complain about the heavy resources these programs consume on the Operating System...

I heard from a Moderator from the Kaspersky Forums, in the Sub-Forum of the Portuguese Language, that Kaspersky uses Secunia technology to check for updates to the applications installed on the Operating System. Well, that would be a pretty suspicious action too, right?

Probably, KIS / KTS would act as the Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) which, by the way, freezes frequently when it is opened...

For those interested in Software Update Checker, the best ones, in my opinion (from my past experiences ), are those listed below:

FileHippo.com Update Checker / FileHippo App Manager;
SUMo - Software Update Monitor (SUMo Lite is definitely the best one, although there are some false positives of updates... *shrug*).

And curiously, while installing Alcohol 120% Full Version, the small Smart File Advisor can be optionally installed... Average in my opinion...
Old 18-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #29
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

I forgot to mention details for a better clarification:

01) Kaspersky labeled the Executable Install File of the CNET Download App Progame as something malicious;
02) Kaspersky labeled mIRC and CyberScript Programs, already installed on the PC, as malicious.

It would only distinguish between alerts from Kaspersky.