Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Evad
Game freak

I'm a little bit confused about the controversy over spammers.
I'm not too up on the internet lingo, but from what I've gathers a spammer is basically a person who replies to as many posts as his/her heart desires without adding, and in most cases detracting from a topic..
I wonder what the policy towards such people are.
I also think it is a little two faced to extend a blah blah area and then give people crap for not being interesting. Who are you to judge? It is supposedly an open area and there for "what ever you want to talk about". Seriously now, nobody forces you to read anything you don't want to, and if someone is messing up "your" topic then that's what the admins are for. Personally I think the admins are far to easy on everybody. I don't mean that they should be rude or more tough as they all have great personalities, just maybe use warn levels more aggressively. It really seems to me that no one does anything around here to trolls or spammers unless someone else complains.....I shouldn't judge I guess as I'm sure it is a hard job.
Anyways, I think I'm gonna take a break from this forum for the summer as well. I need to get out more, and maybe in a couple of months all this horse *** will have decomposed. later folks.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

My main problem is with the spammers disrupting good discussion threads (like the ones about religion or gay marriage so they get locked and the discussion must end) I don't mind spam when it's confined to certain threads but when people like MV make loads of very similiar threads then it can and does get very irritating and it just ruins the atmosphere and community of the forum.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Schabernakel-anbeter

Spam normally just seems funny to me or childish mad

Flaming sucks cause its a wonder how people can fell insulted by
crap or different meanings.
We are all Kings of our Computer so which other King wants war.
In a Kingdom is nobody allowed to say his meaning if the King doesnt like it.
So if I cant execute the insulter I try to hate him to death. LOL

:bye: :bye:
Schabernakel-anbeter is offline                         Send a private message to Schabernakel-anbeter
Old 07-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
omg
Games Master

i know i said i was leaving but logging into this forum is something that has become habit evrytime i connect to the web.
anyways it sucks that threads get closed because of one or 2 spammy posts. deeply.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 07-07-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

i dont think they are not being hard or tough its just some people take advantage of them and do what they want without taking any consideration into mind

*edit* like i said lots of people have been taking advantage LOTS OF PEOPLE look at arrow (not play and omg there cool)
||
\/
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

I think the seemingly mindless shutting down of reasonable topics contributes a lot to the decline in living standard of this place.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 07-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
omg
Games Master

there isnt a serios debate thread at the moment which sucks. but evry time theres a debate it closed usually just due to a tiny bit of minor spamming/flaming
i think there attitude is if they dont nip it in the bud it will spread and get proper nasty.
(btw as the thread was closed that pentagon flash animation was chilling)
i can see there point. but i think sometimes they are to quick to close.
personally i would be up for being an admin just to see how vast this workload is of which they complain. it would be nice if rather than closing a thread they posted to warn
first like *this thread is in danger of being closed*
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

If a topic seems mindless or unnecessary to somebody, it may be interesting to others. Don't judge a thread by just your personal feelings. Be more tolerable people k: Especially mods...

But if a thread is too spammy or flamy, I always vote to close it down (after I cannot get the parties to reason that is) even if it is interestzing to me

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 AM   #9
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

My threads were shut down for the following reasons:

- complaints of other posters about my choice of topic;

- complaints about my use of color (I switched to green after my first two topics got shut down);

- complaints about my overall sarcasm (wouldn't you become sarcastic after three of your topics got shut down after another);

But now I know how to make other topics close early if I don't like them. Just complain and make a few spamming posts. Or perhaps that only works if it's my topic. Ooh, must learn to control my sarcasm.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 07-07-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
taikara
Abandonia Homie

You know, spam in and of itself isn't that bad, and neither is sarcasm.

The trick is to use it in careful moderation.

Spam can be fun and humorous, and revealing of a person's personality. Too much from too many people, and it's just disruptive.

Sarcasm can be fun and humorous... as long as it's very obvious the person means no harm. Use it all the time, and you just seem like a big nasty troll.

The worst possible thing is sarcastic spam. Spam by its very nature is brief, and not extremely informative. Therefore, there's not really any context to show the person posting means their sarcasm harmlessly or harmfully. If you mean it harmlessly, and people are taking it badly, it's probably because you're assuming people know you well enough to understand you.

Guess what? Nobody here knows you, especially if you're newer. I don't hang out with any of you, and even those of you I do talk to regularly, I don't always know well enough to know when you're just joking around. Stop assuming that because you're a part of a community, you can just let it all hang out like you would among your bestest closest friends IRL.

Just because you're tight with a couple people on the board doesn't mean you don't need to show the rest of the people here a little respect and common courtesy.

Private conversations between a couple individuals should be private. That's what we have a PM system for. If it's just you and some other guy posting back and forth in a topic for several pages, there's something wrong. That's not a forum, that's a dialogue.

If you don't feel like taking the time to add some semblance of a disclaimer to let people know you're just joking around when you use sarcasm, maybe you should reconsider using it.

If you don't have something nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. There's no need to jump down someone's throat just because they have a different opinion than you. We're all different people, with different experiences, and different beliefs. There's bound to be different perspectives, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with someone thinking differently than you. Differences between individuals are exactly what makes life interesting.

Common sense, common courtesy, and common respect. It is always good to remember these things when dealing with people.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara