Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #361
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Neuromancer

The game is based on the most famous (but not best!) William Gibbson novel, and for the hardcore ones, it follows that pretty close. Fortunately you don't have to do that, as one part is very annoying (on the space station you constantly loose life outside the matrix, and your in/out of matrix HP are the same, so it is a pretty big problem). fortunately the game comes with an official, ingame-feature inside hack, which allows you to bypass matrix-zone bonduaries.
You absolutely CAN finish this game w/o a walkthrough, which of course can make things more convenient (the biggest help is the clue on which skill effects which AI).
It can make your scratch your head at times, but that's the fun, as it does not rely on moon-logic, or has limited interactions so you won't feel forever lost. Especialy if you don't bother much with the space station mentioned above. You still must visit it for some program upgrades, but no need to enter the lifesucking area.
This is as close to old fashioned games I'd allow myself considering the general experience (graphic, gameplay, design).
There isn't much to replay for though.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #362
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -the new adventures of the time machine

This is a french game.

French games are not as polished as USA-games, but are pretty decent adventure games, with solvable puzzles, and at least two endings.
Ok, "solvable" means something different for Necronomicon. A third french game was the Blair Witch trilogy if I'm not mistaken.

This/These games have a noticably different idea when it comes to the story, or gaming, so if you give it a try it broadens your horizon. It's nothing weird or incomprehensible, but like sushi compared to sausage: the taste and culinari is noticably different.

The Time Machine has a solid balance between resources. Aside the usual one-time puzzle-items there are your skill-related stuff, namely: sandballs (heals HP), herbs (heals partial HP), black salt (heals MP), hourglasses (unlocks more maximum MP), spells. Some of the items can be traded for others on the list, sosometimes you must decide to get a new spell, or have more maximum mana, or be able to heal more. This is fine for the whole game, but where it can realy count, is the ending. There's the regular ending, and the S-rank ending u know. AndI do mean "S" rank,as it's hard to achieve.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #363
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Diablo 2

I slowly reach Act 4 with myx barbarian. Up till now played under p8, which is highly advisable to lower to p1 in the latest 2 acts. Act4 "only" has the "gloam bug" where gloams can deal insane damage due to bad coding (which is multiplied in higher player number), and Act 5 has its own problems of guest monsters, gloams, nihlatak's snakes, magic immun frenzy taurs (other monesters for other characters of course).
And the exp just stopps coming. Got a single clvl in Act 3, and even that went beyond my highest single which was clvl 87 after beating Bhaal, and cow king, under the same conditions as this character. So definitely there are more monsters under the latest patch.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #364
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Paladog

I feel this is one of the better android games. It's a lot actualy like those old quarz games to be honest...
You start from the left, and your goal is to destroy the cave on the right, while overcoming incoming obstacles (monsters). You have various upgradable attributes, and every couple of levels are a kind of minigame of certain variety to psice things up.
There's also a second protagonist (in the full version), Darkdog, which plays a more active role, while the basic Paladog mainly lives from summoned woodland creatures.
It has some basic, facebook-game level backstory, but enough to make the game satisfying.
There's also a minor difference between the full/android release, and the PC release in terms of cutsceens.

It even had a very high quality promo-film, but the 2nd game only went to the asian market.

Overall it is a pretty solid experience.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #365
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Phantasmagoria 2

Ye, they did at least one good live action videogame. Well, action is overrated, it was an adventure-game. And finaly not a "sit on sofa simulator" like Phantasmagoria 1, which had nothing to do with this one (aside being at the same company).
The game hasa good balance between mundane everyday tasks, and character's-life-infesting weirdness. And a milde, bit kinky nudity.
The puzzles are just hard enough to make yu experiment with the environment, resulting in finding bitty crazy elements which releave you from frustration. So it never gets boring.
And if you do get bored, the game has minigames hidden as eastereggs on the office-computers.

I totaly love you go from your appartment to the office, to a restaurant, to a BDSM-club, flirting with an openly gay character - and all that is just you mundane life, nothing special. The special starts when you find the door of John Malkovich, and the super-hightech secret project of your company doing in secret.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #366
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Postal

Yes, this game was infamous. And as usualy the infamous games, pretty crappy in actuality.
The game, especialy the start,and pretty much anywhere on higher difficulties is insanely hard, to the point it becomes boring "shoot 'em offscreen" crap.
Still, if you never met with these kind of "highly offensive" games, goand try it. See what the fuss is about. It is all the leftist-rightist shouting factory, and if they just could take the hint of not giving a crap to what'd otherwise sink under its own weight, the world would be a better place.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #367
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Prince of Persia

It is still a very good basic platformer, with optional parts, and puzzle elements. 'Nuff said!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #368
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Quest for Glory (VGA)

Just to get the feeling of oldschool adventure-games with crpg elements/puzzles/whatever.
It wortha shot. Unfortunately the later installments are time-restricted, which pretty much killed this game for me, especialy how clunky the controls are in QfG2. And a bad design-choice too for a "discover this world for your pleasure" setup game.
But the 1st one still delivers the experience.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #369
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Requiem, Avenging Angel

I don't necessarily avoid FPSs, though they do cause me comuter sickness most of the times.
This only hada mild effect on me, but more importantly, it has a pretty good story, and the ability-set is verrry nice.
You don't just go around with your arsenal from Doom, but you also gain supernatural abilities too, some useful in, some out of fighting. Some of these are: possessing an enemy (good for reconing too, as your spirit leaves your body, the transition is not instant), activating a temporal invincibility, or jumping/flying. You can also send locusts to eat the soldiers' face which spares you ammo and so on. Mana regenerates, ammo must be found.

What also makes this unique is how hard encounters can be. It's practicaly hopeless to try a hardcore run, aka. trying to never die. No. Here you'll reload until you manage to pass certain points. Which are many times certain spots guarded by heavy opposition, but sometimes simply your resources will run very thin.

There are a nice variety of areas too. In the beginning you as-peacfully-as-possible has to roam the streets finding some conact, then get into the sewers, then into the rebels' base (which is in a skyscraper hotel), then some high-tech lab, then a spaceport with very open areas, then inside a spaceship... Not to mention at times an underground-trainstation tunnel-web, or Hell itsels.

I say it is a hidden gem for FPS-fans.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #370
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Strike Force Heroes 2

It's a flashgame. Quit big actualy, but neither level is long.
the basic is, you get a team, and try to kill all enemy, capture the flag, or grab the mcguffin and carry it home while preventing the enemy doing the same.
The level designs are mostly good, and there are 4 character type (2 mostly useless, 2 very good) to level up, and improve the inventory.
It has quite a good amount and designed badges from easy to hardcore difficulty to grab them.
There is one or two levels with insane reliance of random AND hardcore skill, but at least nothing is impossible.
Though the teammates are usualy a nuisance, and you'd be better off without them.

So it'd been better a bit more chiselled, but still a recommendable experience by a long shot.

I start to run out of the abc though.