Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #61
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

GAY!
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #62
punch999
The true Shadow President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Thug View Post
GAY!
Use a different word please.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #63
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

*Please, delete this*

Last edited by El Quia; 01-07-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: A lame joke that, when I though about it, I found it completely unnecessary
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #64
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfly View Post
_r.u.s.s. mentioned Wasteland, and some might chalk it up to nostalgia, but I think it's something to consider.

With the older games, like Wasteland, you weren't overwhelmed by OPENNESS, the grand views and limitless potential. Oblivion is a huge mansion, but it feels somewhat empty... Wasteland is a cozy cottage and you feel at home.

With Wasteland, some might pooh-pooh the limitations, but, as a good book, it is up to the player to flex his/her imagination.

With Oblivion, with the grandness, we expect more grandness. We expect a lively world with limitless potential, yet we soon experience the blandness. Our senses, eyes and ears, tell us we're in a vast realm, but our interactions don't match up with the grandeur, there is an imbalance... That could be remedied, in one fashion, by including a chatty companion to break the monotony. Baldur's Gate II nailed that aspect.

At least in Fallout 3, we're traipsing around a desolate waste, so we shouldn't expect to find much hustle and bustle. In Oblivion, the world is teeming with life, but it doesn't really feel like it as we play.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was similarly wide open and it had something to add spice to the recipe, a variety of cutscenes. These helped to give the world something to which we could relate, they helped create drama, I guess you'd call it. They're snippets, representative of what is actually going on around us in the homes and businesses, something we didn't have in Oblivion.
I can sort of agree with that, since I have played Oblivion quite bit thus far. The world is breathtaking graphics, but as you get deeper into the game, you see that it is rather empty of content and the monsters/enemies are not very diverse.

However, heavily modded game play can give some sense of balance.

As for Two Worlds- cannot get this game to play on either of my laptops. It hangs up and the frame rate skips so badly, you cannot make out what is going on. Maybe later, i'll try and solve this, but for now, it's all Oblivion for me.

I play as a spellsword and if you are on a laptop, I suggest disabling the mouse touch pad and plugging in a USB wireless mouse. This makes the sword play a bit more intuitive and eventually you learn how to make your character look good whilst battling enemies. Also helps with rapid firing spells and arrows, while jumping and spinning quick 360's.

If I had to vote on which Bethesda game is best, I would vote Morrowind: Graphics are good enough to make you feel immersed in the game, while content is quite varacious and very entertaining.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #65
Skyfly
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrybKeeper View Post
I can sort of agree with that, since I have played Oblivion quite bit thus far. The world is breathtaking graphics, but as you get deeper into the game, you see that it is rather empty of content and the monsters/enemies are not very diverse.

However, heavily modded game play can give some sense of balance.
If I had to vote on which Bethesda game is best, I would vote Morrowind: Graphics are good enough to make you feel immersed in the game, while content is quite varacious and very entertaining.

With Wasteland, I feel as if one's expectations are tempered by the relatively crude presentation of the world in which you're wandering. You know what you're getting with Wasteland and your imagination is left to do its thing.

With Oblivion, the expectations are through the roof and you're going to notice where the presentation is lacking, much more than a game like Wasteland. The imbalance between visual and aural realism and the routine of everyday life is too much, so you're going to notice that things are artificial and that feeling is hard to shake.

I haven't played GTA IV, but San Andreas made its own crude attempt at introducing real-life routine into the game. The cars, the sounds, the pedestrians, they add to the immersion, and that really helps, crude as it may have been... The cut-scenes give the world flavor, they bring life to the people in the world that you're interacting with on a daily basis.

There wasn't much out there while traveling the lands in Oblivion, no workers, no forests with lumber mills, no quarries, not much of anything, no travellers. No traveling companions to interject with their opinion of things or their mood for the day. That left me with an empty feeling. It felt too much like a pretty Diablo than say a Baldur's Gate.
Skyfly is offline                         Send a private message to Skyfly
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #66
virumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrybKeeper
The Dark Brotherhood & Thieves Guild questlines are very good, though! And Shivering Isles is almost as good as Morrowind.

For those that are tired of Oblivion, consider trying the Morroblivion mod... I'm currently trying it... I see it as an improved version of Oblivion.

Last edited by virumor; 09-07-2009 at 11:52 PM.
virumor is offline                         Send a private message to virumor
Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #67
ComboTroop
Abandonia nerd

Im gonna have to start playing Obivilon again!
ComboTroop is offline                         Send a private message to ComboTroop