Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
bazbazbaz
Forum hobbit

Ok, here is a tuff one....

Can anybody get the soundblaster Live soundcard to work in MS-Dos?
I have a P3 600mhz, running win 98SE. The card works fine in windows but i cant get it to work in the dos environment.

There is an emulation function for Dos which comes with the card, but this doesent work either. My soundcard is the 5.1 version. Kinda annoying........
bazbazbaz is offline                         Send a private message to bazbazbaz
Old 29-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Hmmmm. Have you tried telling it to run midi at the various different settings? Here's a neat way to find out what setting it is. Download Colonization, and fiddle with its installer some in the sound section. This will tell you what your sound settings are if the game plays music. Or, you can try DotT, as that's install has a detect settings. Haven't really found that option anywhere else in windows, unless you use the msdos promt, but I don't remember the input for that. Also, which games are you trying to play?

You know that if its just sound problems you can use VDMsound, but most of us prefer Dosbox.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 29-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Do you mean to work in pure dos or with dosbox? I think to get soundblaster Live working in pure dos you have to install the dos drivers for it....at least, I remember that's what I had to do when I had a Win98se OS.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 30-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
bazbazbaz
Forum hobbit

I am trying to run it in pre dos , well by this i mean the dos mode you enter into when you leave windows 98. Not the dos prompt in windows itself. In regards to what games i am trying to play - it doesent really matter as the soundblaster wont run in dos AT ALL, regardless of the program i am trying to run. Wendy maree, what do you mean install the dos drivers? If this is the emulation dos drivers which came as part of the software, then these do not work either!!

This is one problem i have not been able to crack. Its a tough one. Credit where credit is due to the person who can solve this one..............
bazbazbaz is offline                         Send a private message to bazbazbaz
Old 30-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hmmm....I wish my old Win98se computer was still working, I could tell you more about the procedure I used for loading up the dos drivers. I'm not sure if they're emulation drivers, but they do come with the software. They worked both through the dos window and pure dos...what you call pre dos. There must be an entry in the config sig (or was it the auto exec.bat?) which loads them high (LH) and points to their address on the hardrive. There's a site on the internet that tells how to load them up. Someone posted about it twelve months ago. I'll see if I can find the site.

****Time Passes****

I found an old entry in Abandonia forums where I pasted the setup of my now defunct win98 auto exe and config.sig:

My Config.sys:

rem DOS=SINGLE
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
devicehigh=C:\BTCCDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001

My Autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
LH D:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm

has archive of dos drivers for Sound Blaster Live and some instructions...but

not much about loading them.

Here's more information about installing these dos drivers from the previous

site: http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/sndhelp.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

Has lots of info on everything to do with autoexec bat and config sig files with the win98 OS. Down the bottom half of the long page it tells about loading up drivers into autoexec and config sig.

Also more on working with the soundblaster live dos drivers: http://www.computerhope.com/help/csound.htm#1

Hope some of that helps. Good luck!
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree