Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Archive
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
Haderach

First, thanks for your site. I love it as an alternative for faster downloads. And your tech support is outstanding. So here's one to add to your files.

Many DOS games have serious problems with slowdown of mice in Windows XP, even you if you use an slowdown/DOS emulator program like DoSBoX or VDMS.

Here is the complete solution to making games run smooth with your mouse in DOS games that have trouble. I had trouble with SimCity2000 and Ascendancy and decided to findout how to solve it.

Steps to take:

1. Download mousectl.com from the net...use a search engine so that I'm not responsible for getting people to leech off of private sites. Put mousectl.com in your C:\ directory.
2. Find autoexec.nt in your c:\windows\system32 directory. Open it up with Notepad.
3. Add these two lines to the very end:

REM Ramps up mouse acceleration in Windows XP "fake" DOS mode
loadhigh c:\mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15

Notes:
a. The values 5,6,10, etc. are speeds of the mouse. Multiply by 10 and you get the % of speed increase. You can change the numbers to your own taste. This setup has the aceleration ramp up to 150% very quickly and then stay there.
b. Works with DosBox and VDMS. Don't worry about this changing how your mouse behaves in your normal XP environment because autoexec.nt only loads when you run XP's fake DOS mode (yes, I call it fake...since it is (True, it's the Windows dos box -Eagle of Fire)).
c. You could place mousectl.com in any directory on your computer, you don't absolutly need to place it to c:\. You will need to change "loadhigh c:\mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15" accordingly with the right, complete directory tough. -Eagle of Fire

Haderach

Edited per the poster demand. Took the opportunity to clarify a little at the same time. -Eagle of Fire

Closed Thread