Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Flop
Hero Gamer

I don't really understand why the first thread about this was locked. Sure it was an old thread, but now all we have are two threads about the same topic. But that's up to the mods and admins I guess.

Anyway, I think I may have a solution. I browsed a couple of other boards, and found a guy with this very problem. It turned out he didn't have a folder called SAVEGAME, and that creating such a folder fixed his problem. So you people with this problem should check if this folder exists in your game directory.

*edit*

Okay, I just downloaded the game from this site and, sure enough, there's no directory called SAVEGAME. And I couldn't save. After creating that directory, I could, so there's your solution. Btw, I'm surprised there aren't more people posting this problem, since it should happen to everybody.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 14-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

this is in fact the third thread in which this has been discussed - maybe everyone else has seen the others?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Flop
Hero Gamer

I just saw that it was discussed in the game thread as well, and that somebody answered it there, too. But I still think people should be allowed to ask about it in the troubleshooting forum, and since the other thread was closed before anybody could answer, I created this.
Old 14-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

yes it was, yesterday evening. and links to the previous answer were posted the day before.

see, this is why an FAQ is a good idea. in fact, it should be added to the review in this instance, since it will affect every user.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Flop
Hero Gamer

You're right. I missed your reply in that thread. Feel free to delete this one.

And yes, I think a FAQ would be a good idea, too. And yes, it should be added to the review in this instance (or even better: replace the download with one that contains a SAVEGAME dir).
Old 15-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
Ash, Housewares.

OH thank you, too bad the admin locked the thread after my post for this year (sorry i revived it)

You solution works perfectly, though it was wierd that the game doesnt create its own save folder. Most games did that.

Once again many thanks, I haven't played this game since i was 7, the days of Dune 2.

Old 15-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Don't feel sorry for that. The main reason why we don't allow thread resurection (especially in this forum) is because your question can be an answer to several other people. Posting in an old topic with a lot of post most of the time scare newbies into not reading it because it's too long or because they don't have time or patience to do so.

Starting a new topic is always allowed unless it's spam.
Old 15-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The reason it doesn't create it is something to do with the emulation i think - if you run it in actual DOS it would create one the first time you save a game, but in the emulator it can't do it, as far as i can tell.

The Crusader download might also be an installed game, in which case it's just been made without one by whoever uploaded it (not realising this problem would arise)
Old 15-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Data
retired

emulator probably gives the wrong error code to the game.