Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Fisha694

Ok the other day I was digging thru my closet and I found a box with a lot of old games in it. I saw that Simtower was there and was like...Wow havent played that in awhile. So I downloaded onto my pc and it downloaded fine, However when I go to play it, it doesnt work. I have Windows 2000 Professional edition, with all the latest updates from Microsoft. but the game doesnt play, and Im confused because I think it would play better on here than it would on XP because w2000 is still based off of the older windows, while XP is a new one, but nobdy seems to have problems with it on xp. So is there a special place I need to install it on w2000Pe to get it to work, or is there something I need to turn off to allow it to run? I turn off my Avast and close all the stuff like Create a cd and Direct CD and Quicktime, but it still doesnt play. Or should I just try to find an older Pc with windows 98 on it and use that for a gaming pc? Also I cant get Dirt Track Racing to play either, The sprint car one works but not the regular version. If anyone can help with that I would appricate it too.

Thanks

Old 28-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, actually Windows ME is based off the 9x series. Windows 2000 and XP are both using NT core.

Personally, I suggest you either buy an old machine and set up Windows 95 or 98 on it or simply buy an additional hard drive. By disconnecting all the other hard drives and installing W98SE on the new one, you can change your Win2K machine into a perfect Win98 one. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I have done with my WinXP computer.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Fisha695
Lurker

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 28 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]251509[/snapback]
Quote:
Well, actually Windows ME is based off the 9x series. Windows 2000 and XP are both using NT core.

Personally, I suggest you either buy an old machine and set up Windows 95 or 98 on it or simply buy an additional hard drive. By disconnecting all the other hard drives and installing W98SE on the new one, you can change your Win2K machine into a perfect Win98 one. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I have done with my WinXP computer.
[/b]
Would I be able to use an External Hard drive for this? my current HD on my pc is 28.5GB and I was looking at some External ones and they are 100GB, which would allow me to not only have W98SE on it and then not only Simtower but some of the other games that I like, that worked better on older windows. Also beside W98SE what other stuff would I need to put on there, or would it just use the soundcard and stuff that is allready on my pc? And do you recomend unistalling the stuff that comes with W98SE that I dont need to play the games I want (like any kind of word processing/office stuff) or should I just leave that stuff on? Also is it hard to boot the PC off of an External hard drive instead of the built in one? I would like to keep W2000 installed on my PC because I use it for all kinds of stuff and Im just gunna wait to Vista comes out to get a new PC.

Im sorry if I kinda rambled on but Im not that much of a computer wiz...LOL I know my way around and stuff but not so much about useing a diffrent HD with a diffrent version of windows...
Fisha695 is offline                         Send a private message to Fisha695
Old 29-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

OK, I'm splitting these posts off to a separate thread in Troubleshooting. Will be better off there.

Ouch. This thread was supposed to land in Troubleshooting, not in Translation stuff.

Anyway, I am quite uncertain if Windows 98 would boot from an external drive.

What you could alternatively do is buy a 40-gig HDD (or 80-gig one, depending what HDD sizes your motherboard accepts) and simply install it on the secondary IDE channel along with your optical drive. Then you can control which HDD boots through the BIOS, which is actually even more convenient.

Also, what file system your W2K harddrive is using? FAT-32 or NTFS?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman