Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #341
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Some old games absolutely need to be installed from the A: drive. Learning to do it the right way the first time is always the best solution if you don't want to run into problems later on.

Quote:
How does one go about doing that? I haven't seen a floppy drive in years, and the last time I tryed a program like DAEMON but for A: drive it didn't work too well.
You just said that you use DOSBox... And I just gave you the command to mount the floppy...
Old 07-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #342
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
You just said that you use DOSBox... And I just gave you the command to mount the floppy...
To clarify further:
The drive letters you assign to drives and directories in DOSBox have nothing to do with your real drive letters and your real drives.
You can mount a directory as two different drives.
You can mount it as a fake floppy drive.
You can mount it as a fake CD-ROM drive.
You can mount something on your X drive as C, your F drive as D, your DVD drive H as E and so on.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #343
jonahjuice

Woah I am lost. I understand what you all are saying but I don't know what to type.

How do I mount A? And how to I get a file to play there if it is in a folder called Cdrive?

Thanks for being so helpful everyone!
jonahjuice is offline                         Send a private message to jonahjuice
Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #344
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

mount a C:\CDrive -t floppy

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #345
Pex
Game Wizzard

I couldn't stop playing this game till I finished it. It took me several days, due to limitted time. I finished it with English, though I still prefer Dutch - the fact that prices of the goods change slow for them means that you're able to earn more money on resoruces like silver or selling trade goods to the Native Americans.

Honestly, I really enjoy the beginning of the game when you still need to explore the new world - afterwards it really becomes just a matter of producing as many Liberty Bells and veteran soilders as you can, preparing for the Independance War.

Tips: Peter Minuit should be one of the first (if not the very first) founding fathers you should include in your council, so you can use the land of the Natives without paying for it. Hernando de Soto is really useful only if you include him before you explore the whole map and the best early as possible. I like getting William Brewster early as well. George Washington makes winning the game much easier for you, since you can upgrade your soilders into veterans in a single battle, instead of having to educate them. You should wait with Simon Bolivar until your Sons of liberty membership is already quite high, so you could use 20% you get from him to push it above 50%. The remaining Founding Fathers really depend on your style of play (I never get Hernan Cortes because I don't go attacking Natives unless they attack me, but I always get Francis Drake, cause I like using privateers ).

I also like to save the game as soon as I start it, then explore to find the best place for my first colony and then reload that first game and go straight to that place. May sound a bit like cheating, but it makes initial development faster
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #346
Oskatat
Game freak

discussion on founding fathers

minuit is pretty useless, he doesnt prevent the indians getting angry about you using the land, just about you taking the land in the first place. If you use minuit a lot, you'll have a lot of indian raids. Better is to find spaces between the native settlements, or take them out anyway.

de soto is great, with the alway positive rumours. fountain of youths and one of the seven cities really make for a good start. Washington is a good help for training your soldiers. The two i like best are stuyvesant and Franklin. One allows trade with the home country even during independence war and allows for custom offices (trade without ships), and the other means that everybody offers you peace and european wars dont affect you. All the others depend on your playing style. However, hernan cortez works great with de soto. You find a treasure, move the scout, build city, free transport! And afterwards, you abandon the town, resurrect the scout, and off you go again. You'll go through a lot of city names though

starting places. Well, in random games, you'll see for yourself. In america, up north is great, as is down south. The islands are a bit tougher but you can make a lot of small towns and get a fast hit in the sugar market, plus your towns are usually safe from natives. You are much more vulnerable to other europeans though, so get Franklin!

Dutch are good to play with, since their market holds better and you start with a bigger ship. The english colonies grow faster, and the french dont have to worry about the natives too much, especially not if they also get pocahontas. Since attacking natives earns you penalty points and is usually too much trouble compared to the rewards, the spanish make a convincing 4th place

Last edited by Oskatat; 11-11-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #347
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You didn't play Colonization to death like me (us?) if you can't understand the use of Peter Minuit.

Thing is, Peter Minuit is only useful if you plan to play a peaceful type of game. If you do (and the French are great at this), then Peter Minuit becomes almost absolutely necessary because otherwise you'll have to pay for land. Land which will either be taken by force, greatly alarming the Natives, or purchased with money you can't afford to spend in great quantities or at all.

The great power of a peaceful game with the Native come with trading wagons in mid and late game. By specializing a town in production of refined goods, instead of splitting it half and half with base resources, and by trading with the nearby native villages, you can up your production at least twofold and make more money in the process (from trading other goods with the Native to get your base ressources). Add to this a good trade wagon network between your own cities, and you're in business. This process can continue forever as long as you have the goods the Native are asking in exchange, and in late game you simply sell the same goods to the custom house for more profit.

The second great advantage of having good relation with the Natives is that they will help you defend against the Royal Army when you declare your independence. If you are like me then you probably will trade plenty of muskets (that you produced yourself) and horses (that you bred yourself too) to the Natives for ridiculously high prices. Once this is done, the Natives are able to breed their own horses and use the muskets you sold them about as efficiently as any other power... And they get in the way of the Royal Army quite nicely if they are in sufficient numbers.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #348
Oskatat
Game freak

i never said good relations were not important

i just never needed minuit to keep them

but yes, for the french: minuit, pocahontas and the guy speeding up conversion, crowning it, by the time you have enough converts, by neutralizing them to colonists possibly (as you know, missions will help them like you too)
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #349
Pex
Game Wizzard

I haven't thought before to use Cortez in that way - great idea. Going through many different names of the colonies doesn't bother me since you can always change them. In this last game I played I indulged myself conquering New Amsterdam and changing its name to New York

I never use Benjamin Franklin since I'm always at war with other European countries. I attack them as early as possible in the game and abandon their colonies using the people to bolster mine. Later I'm more selective, cause if they build a stockade, you cannot abandon the colony and to be honest, places they choose for their colonies are often ridiculous.

Speaking of stockades, Sieur de la Salle is another of the Founding Fathers that I always select, cause it saves a lot of building time (colonies with 3+ pop automaticly get a stockade). But once I have him, if I'm conquering another colony that has 3+ pop and no stockade, I make sure I leave only a couple of colonists in it before I end the turn. Providing that I want to abandon it, of course.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #350
PixelDao

I played this game so long ago I can barely remember it. I can vaguely remember something about winning or getting my independence faster or something because I had a lot of politicians. I can't remember why it was important to have them though.

The graphics were a little too chunky for me. I liked Civilization I a lot better.
PixelDao is offline                         Send a private message to PixelDao