Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I was downloading World of Xeen today and i was a little bored(downloading @ 5 Kb/s can take a while - unusually slow speed :not_ok.So i thought what if we could implement a function that could make downloading more fun.So i came up with this idea:
Say i want to download World of Xeen.
I click on download, then the download dialog pops up... and here comes the suggestion: after i select the location, the window i was in, ie "you have chosen to download..." changes to another window(notice the word changes).I don't mean a window pops up, since that could be denied by pop up blockers.So as i was saying, a blank window replaces the one before, and evaluates your connection.Once a certain connection speed is established, let's say 5 Kb/s, a script calculates the estimated download time, by deviding the total acrhive size by your connection speed.Now this is were the interesting part comes.After establishing the estimated time of download, the window changes from blank to a window that displays game info, ie curiosities regarding the game in hand.So as you are downloading, you can find out little things about the game.So why do you need the download time script? For each game there would be more than one window(each containing different information on the game).So say you have 5 windows, all of them containing game(world of xeen in this case) curiosities.The script would calculate the estimated time, and then devide the estimated time of download by the number of game windows.This result, in seconds, will be the amount each window stays on screen, before it is replaced by another window.Of course we should have some limitations.For example if you are on a 768kbps dsl
or on a 2mbps s2m, there would be no windows, unless the game size is larger than say 30 Mb.Of course this should be the case to all games.For example if you were to download a 400 K game, then unless your connection is slower than(or equal to) 56kbps modem, no curiosity window would ocur.This is to prevent windows apearing and instantly disapearing.
What do you think? And please don't brush it aside from the start on grounds of difficulty, please, at least, take a minute, and think about the result.It most surely would make a name for our site
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 29-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

It is original idea BUT: :tai:
a)Would it be even possible?
b)If yes, will admins take(probably a lot of) time to make it?
c)And again,there must be some people which will be supposed to find these curiosities etc....
(btw how many curiosities should actually pop-up if you download,let say 75 MB game? :blink: LOL )
Personally I like this idea, but it dont depend on me...
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 29-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well you have a predefined number of windows for each game, so it's not a matter of displaying 1 window per minute.As i said the window display time is related to your download speed.
EDIT: I'm sure it's possible, i've seen far more complex things done(just look at fileplanet's downloading system)
EDIT 2: The curiosity search could begin on mobygames, that's were i took my curiosity bits from
Old 29-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
a1s
Hero Gamer

about the open/save download message it's part of the Internet exploiter, and can't be altered (and you wouldn't want another 2 Meg Flash application bundled with each of your downloads, now would you?)

Edit: I'm serious about this par though.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 29-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm sorry, i forgot to write, but my message is only directed towards people who are serious, and who want to better the site.If you don't have a serious comment, then please abstain from posting.This is isn't the 3xblah section.

Thank you for understanding!
Old 29-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Okay, your opinion.And i respect it, because you found another way to put it.The way you put it the first time made you a little narrow-minded.I'm just saying we be a little more original.It never hurts to be innovative k:

EDIT: I double posted so you see i was not out to flame you
Old 29-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

You mean people actually sit still and WATCH their downloads? :blink:

Personally, I browse the net if I am downloading something, or leave the computer and do something else.

I understand your thought. It's like those tid-bits you get from software installers, but it would be a SERIOUS amount of work to get this done. And I am not sure we have people with so much time, not to mention that it will slow down new updates as an updater would have to locate enough tid-bits to satisfy a 28 modem.

And of course... I am not sure it is even possible.
Old 29-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
a1s
Hero Gamer

I've carefuly retaught my previous statement, and I still think it caries some rational grain. you could post some curiosities (or links to those) in the begining of the games thread. that wouldn't tax your connection much, and the mechanism is allready developed. plus it might ifluence you additionaly for/against downloading the game.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 29-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The curiosities themselves are an interesting idea. They would probably belong more as an extra to the reviews part then elsewhere.

Some short stuff on the game, minor gameplay tips, info about the game's world or people who have worked on it's creation.

Small mini-frame that randomly loads one of the existing array referring to that game, but with a "show all" link that pops a new window with all the ones stored.

Example - Space Hulk
Code:
Terminator armor of Deathwing was originally black, but the color was later changed to white in order to honor a group of Deathwing marines who saved their homeworld from a Genestealer infestation.
Code:
Jervis Johnson, one of the people responsible for voice-overs in the game is currently head of Games Workshops' Fanatic division responsible for the companies' non-mainstream game products.
Code:
Dark Angels are one of the few Space Marine Chapters with enough Terminator suits to equip their entire first company.
Code:
On certain levels you can find reloads for your Assault Cannons.
Code:
Items never show on the tactical map.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

If someone wants to read a curiosity about a game, he/she will read the review! And reviewer will try to find out few curiosities.

I agree with :Tom: :
- it will take a lot of time (no doubt your idea is great)
- when I put something to download, I browse the web, too
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero