Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-11-2004, 05:20 PM   #11
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Nov 14 2004, 01:21 PM

About the job of a teacher, well that's another thing!
I know most of you believe that teachers don't have much to do, but believe me, that those who want to work well have more then enough work!!!
There are days I work from 7am to 5pm (every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday), I also have working Saturdays and when the children have holydays I work (but I'm an exception that proves the rule - there are only 3 other teachers that work half as much as I do)!
And when it comes down to teaching the children younger then 8 - well I teach children from ages of 7 up to 15 and I can tell you, that a class of 20 10 year olds is much more demanding then a class of 400 20 year olds (I gave 2 lectuers at South-West Texas University to two groups of 300 students - so I should know). If you don't believe me just try it your self!
Well, true, but I'm not just talking about classes.
If you have 20 10-year-olds, who hand in a small essay or a project, it takes some while reading over it at home and so on.
But having 400 16-20-year-olds, handing in maybe 5 page essays, and you need to read them all over? That's a BIT more work, I believe. With all due respect.

Well, anyways, it's a delicate subject.
But I really think that the teachers are handling it all wrong. They say they don't get enough respect, but they act like children! How can we respect them if they act like that?!?
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 14-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
FreeFreddy

That's called mass pressure.
Many do something, rest follows. And thinking on those events isn't that often happening...

Old 14-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #13
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Nov 14 2004, 07:20 PM
If you have 20 10-year-olds, who hand in a small essay or a project, it takes some while reading over it at home and so on.
But having 400 16-20-year-olds, handing in maybe 5 page essays, and you need to read them all over? That's a BIT more work, I believe. With all due respect.
Well, you have those children all day - all of the lessons (5 lessons X 20 children would make 100 children).
You need to take care of such smnall things like: don't pull her hair, take that pencil out of your ear,...
You must prepare a lot of material (only the lazy ones use coursebooks, because that's just an easy way out, you have to be more personal).
You become a role model to those children and they'd all like so share something with you (so you'll need 20 pairs of eyes and ears, not to mention some spare nerves,...).
I dodn't think it's so demanding until I've tryed it myself - almost 95% of teachers are extremly diilisioned about their job describtion when they start to work!!!
I've never seen a coillage professor wipe a bloody nose (and believe I have a weak stomach as it is).
Trust me - when and if you'll become a mother, and you'll say it's difficoult to rais a child - just remember that a teacher has 20 of them and then think about this again.
In many aspects it's actaully easier to work as a collage profesor.
The reason why they get higher payment is not that their work would be harder, but because they are required to have a higher education!!!
And no strike is going to change that!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

@Sebatianos:
These all are really good points, and I get your point.
But I'm also talking about teachers who have ONE class. Only 20 students. And I'm also talking about teachers who teach 16 year olds

But your points are good ones, and I respect you.

But the teachers here are doing this all wrong. It comes down on society. Teachers in my school are bringing their kids to work! And like I already said, colleges will be somewhat easier next year. Even for older students.
Old 14-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I see your point too,
you're affraid that the level of education will decrease.
Thats very comendable and yet, the teachers are going the wrong way about it, that's just something called greed (everyone want's more money - admit it 'oh all ye who are reading).
this doesn't mean that strikes are something you should just try and surpress, but on the other hand, a strike should only be the last resourt (and I know that teacher can't be that desperate).
So, you're right, a two month strike in a field of employmant like education is a big problem (in a factory the'd either have to close it down or settle the score) because many people are effected by it, I never said they were right. I saw that you made some remarks about teachers that were way off!!!
:wub: You respect me.
Don't wory, I never hold a grudge and you never said anything against me - I agree that more than half of the teachers shouldn't even get payed this much!!!

Hope Iceland will resolve this problem soon!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-11-2004, 06:06 PM   #16
aaberg
Game Wizzard

I'm glad I live in Denmark. Lately there haven't been any long term strikes here. :bye:
aaberg is offline                         Send a private message to aaberg
Old 14-11-2004, 06:11 PM   #17
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Well, like I said earlier...
Few years ago, sailors went on a strike. My dad was a sailor.
After about a week, the goverment put ban, without raising the salaries. But still they let the teacher strike last for TWO MONTHS!?!?!? That's fuckedup.

:angry:

Btw, drinking has increased a lot with younger kids since the strike began. 14-16 years old are out all night getting wasted, because they don't have school.
Old 14-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #18
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Nov 14 2004, 08:11 PM
Btw, drinking has increased a lot with younger kids since the strike began. 14-16 years old are out all night getting wasted, because they don't have school.
Now that's a real problem, but I don't think it's because they don't have school.
At that age, they shouldn't even be alowed to drink (and this comes from a guy who was drunk at the age of three - ME)!
I'm afraid this strike may be just a tip of the social iceberg in Iceland.
I hope for the best!
Old 14-11-2004, 06:22 PM   #19
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Well, you're true. They aren't allowed to drink. I'm not even allowed to drink. Need to be 21 to drink beer!!

But I hope this'll all be solved soon....

*sigh*