Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Valve's Source engine provides some pretty advanced demo recorder/editor:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ecording_Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
As I suspected, there were traces of this function in Wolfenstein 3D but it was removed in later versions?
I guess it's actually not very surprising, as the developers undoubtedly used it to create the pre-made demo recordings for the attract mode, it's just that someone came up with the idea of allowing the users to do that too at some point (BTW, any idea what the first game to support user-created demos was?).

I remember a discussion in the FED2k forums about traces of demo recording code in Dune II, which was used for the non-interactive demo release of the game; I think Nyerguds or CCHyper mentioned similar code leftovers in Command & Conquer (which BTW has a semi-functional attract mode which can be activated with a command line parameter - it only works in the DOS version though) and also Red Alert (if I'm not mistaken).
Old 21-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thanks for all that research! I didn't know those websites.
In the meantime I've started digging through Wikipedia's article on machinima, didn't know that Spielberg used "Unreal Tournament" Quake movies are no news to me. My buddies used to make videoclips out of "IL-2 Sturmovik". I'm just surprised now it's called film making and art!

You mentioned other genres: I've started looking for platformers. Duke Nukem (the first one!) has option "play user demo", but how can I record one? Abuse seems to have demo recording feature, but only in level editor? Anyone more familiar with these two?

By the way, I've updated the group description (pending) with extra info & to make it more clear.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 22-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I never watched any machinima really, but I think Red vs. Blue (using the Halo game engine) is a popular one.

I've posted my results with Tyrian and Rise of the Triad in MobyGames forums. On a side note Tyrian sometimes literally freezes DOSBox on exit - previously I thought it was only a v1.0/1.1 thingy, but it turns out it also happens in v2.1 and Tyrian 2000 shareware as well.

I didn't know Duke Nukem had user demo playback. Frenkel's site and Duke Nukem Central don't seem to have any info on that.

BTW, have you looked into Duke Nukem II?

[Edit] The option to record user demos in Duke NUkem is mentioned here, apparently someone was able to actually record a new demo, but the details are rather sketchy.

Last edited by MrFlibble; 23-09-2012 at 01:18 AM.
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Old 23-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
[Edit] The option to record user demos in Duke NUkem is mentioned here, apparently someone was able to actually record a new demo, but the details are rather sketchy.
Duke Nukem records a user demo automatically when you play but only in the 1st level of every episode and there is a time limit.
Old 23-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Yeah, I've already noticed that, it works in the shareware version too. I wonder if it will record a demo of another level if you remove USERDEMO.DN# and then load a saved game.