Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #361
Zerqent

Did my best game so far. 90% / 3020 points at conquistador level. Finished in 1646. I kinda regret that I overwrote my savegame though, since I was generating lots of gold each turn I could probably have boosted my score by waiting to declare independance/wait to eliminate alle the Torys. I was pretty lucky and actually found 7 fountains of youth, I am used to just finding about 2-3 of them

I usually play the dutch and settle in south america. I like the map where my merchantman start in latin-america, and use this to kill of the other power which lands there (usually the spanish). I then travel south and kill the english and finaly settles with about 6 colonists. This pretty much eliminates all competition from other powers, since the last people (the french) are settled in North America and will not come and visit you.

Some tricks:
Trading with the inca capital is great, sell them tobacco (for about 1000-1200) and trade goods (800-1100). You will be able to buy 100 silver for 25/50 for 100 which is great in the start of the game. The price in europe will crash pretty fast though.

A capital can train multiple colonists to professionals, which is something I didn't know until recently. At conquistador level the incas will train expert farmers which is just awesome.

All in all this is just an excellent game - the worst thing about it is probably the unit limit which prevents you from building a 'real' america =)
Zerqent is offline                         Send a private message to Zerqent
Old 23-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #362
WillBKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Henrik View Post
The fountain of youth is one of the best random treasures you can find

if it wasn't for that fountain I would have pretty much lost by now!

Good game, I like how different it feels to Civilization, despite appearing very similar in terms of graphics and play mode
WillBKK is offline                         Send a private message to WillBKK
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #363
rug
[BANNED]

Thumbs down Where are the Portuguese?

They put the Dutch instead of the Portuguese?!?!? F*cking dumb americans!!!

The Portuguese colonized Brazil!

Sid Meyer's just dropped very low in my consideration...

Typical culture-less cowboys!

Games with poor historical research are just frustrating: this one gets score 1.
rug is offline                         Send a private message to rug
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #364
Wicky
the little viking

We heard ya. Now calm down!

Last edited by Wicky; 12-08-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #365
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rug View Post
They put the Dutch instead of the Portuguese?!?!? F*cking dumb americans!!!

The Portuguese colonized Brazil!

Sid Meyer's just dropped very low in my consideration...

Typical culture-less cowboys!

Games with poor historical research are just frustrating: this one gets score 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File: Dutch_Empire35.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File: Dutch_Conquests_Brazil_Caribbean.png

I have not studied Dutch and Portuguese history but the Dutch where in the Americas, as well as around the world Colonizing.From the wiki they even had trouble with Portuguese settlements rebeling against them.

On a side note a simple edit of a text document can allow you to change any of the countries names and colour. I quiet often changed the English to Australians. Try giving this game a fair go, it is an awesome game, if you don't like the history element, play it as a custom map, with your custom made country.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 18-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #366
Commentoncolonization

I keep reading in this thread that colonization is "from the same people as civilization." In actuality it is not. Sid Meier actually had nothing to do with this game. His name was plastered on it simply to sell copies. As such there are a handful of nuances and problems we don't see in civilization games regarding problems with the AI and game mechanics. It's still an enjoyable game though.

Old 18-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #367
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I would like to know where you are getting your information? Colonization was made by the same people as Civilization, MicroProse published both of them, Brian Reynolds along with Sid Meier made the game. You do know that more then one person makes a game and that Sid doesn't have to do everything to get his name on the front.

Having things different from another game by the same people doesn't mean anything either, Pirates! is also a Sid Meier's game and that has a lot different from Civilization. I haven't really noticed there being any problems with this game, it all seems to work as intended.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 18-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #368
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What I really noticed while playing this game (a game that I played very extensively) is that it is not plagued by the problems usually found in the Civilization series.

And that, by itself, make it more unique than Civilization.

I wonder if they'll ever solve the bad randomness errors in Civilization? Colonization already did it right years before Civilization II...
Old 23-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #369
jaegerdude

I think that there is an entry in the manual stating that they added the Dutch rather than Portugese as the they were too similar to the Spanish.
jaegerdude is offline                         Send a private message to jaegerdude
Old 30-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #370
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Default limitless cash in 1500 (within the rules, lol)

You can exploit the dock prices if you have good cash on hand (say, 2000-5000 gold), no taxes yet, low prices on the equipment commodities, and some cargo spaces at the dock. The idea is to equip a whole lot of colonists at once with one of the possible items. The issue is that equipment prices don't respond to equipping colonists right then: not until 1) turns go by or 2) you buy/sell commodities outright, using click-and-drag to your cargo holds.

So for instance, use your funds to put some new colonists on the dock. Finding a fountain of youth is an automatic ticket to ride here! Then, gear them all up with either tools, guns, or horses— tools might be best to start since each dude can carry 100 of them. A petty criminal can hold 100 tools just as well as anyone. You want to blow 95-99% of your money on new colonists and tools. The price of tools should not respond to this storm of activity until the next step.

The next step is buying more tools, actually, but this time we click and drag them directly into ship cargo holds. What this does is cause the prices to respond to all the buying you previously did. The price should start skyrocketing with every purchase. You can Shift-click-and-drag to purchase one tool at a time in this step, and you can stop buying when the price stabilizes.

When the price seems firm, and hopefully a lot higher than when you equipped the colonists, you can sell all the colonists' tools back and make a tidy profit. Afterward, click-and-drag the cargo tools back into the market, one at a time, and prices will crash again. This cycle is repeatable.

You may find that prices do not crash all the way back down to their original level. The price of tools, guns, and horses have strong upward vectors in the European markets that prevent this. You can still make a lot of money, however, and with enough colonists and some creativity you can overload these vectors and make the price rocket all the way up and crash all the way back down, allowing you to acquire unlimited cash. Totally breaks the game, but it's just something I wanted to bring up. You can only see a few colonists on screen, but if you recruit more, you can select and gear them as well using the keyboard.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz